Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flyup Downhill at Gawton. Uplift in Devon!
  • toys19
    Free Member

We had a great day at Gawton today for the first weekend of Flyup Downhill’s new service from the Gawton hub.

If you don’t know Gawton you need to go there, it has a big drop in terms of altitude, which can make for very steep tracks, or if well made, very long – and gawton has both in spades.

The new track -Proper Job, is awesome. Fast, flowy, fun loads of jumps and drops berms everywhere, and plenty of challenge. TBH its the only track I rode all day, after a warm up on HSD. Super Tavi and Egypt were beyond my powers with massive hangover I had after yesterdays egg chasing shenanigans (Ireland and England win, the best start ever).

They have a little cafe there now doing cakes, pasties and teas. Soon to have spares and more types of nosh.

The Flyup Downhill uplift service is the best ever (just like their FOD service) , fast turnaround, zero trailer bites on your bike and a clean comfy van.

fodmtb
    Free Member

Well said toys19 Si does a fab job @flyupdownhill

carlphillips
    Free Member

out of interest how many runs did you get in..?

toys19
    Free Member

11, but they can do more, could easily do 14, They were restriced by some red tape until a certain licence comes through, another couple of weeks.
    Battered after 11 though.. I once pushed up at Gawton 10 times, dead legs..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is the up lift road still a dirt track?

jim79
    Free Member

Did this Friday, had a tremendous day. There was only 4 of us on the uplift but got 14 runs in. 27quid well spent.

toys19
    Free Member

The up lift road is about 20% hardpacked track that has had a lot of work done on it, and the rest is road. Comfy and fast.

carlphillips
    Free Member

my best is 13 runs, didn’t like the push up much after 7 tho!
    will be booking soon i reckon i could afford bi monthly uplift, the other weekends will be pushing..
    i have mondays off so thats always good!!

out of interest toys19 what bike do you ride? you a regular there?

jam-bo

i miss the mid week evening uplifts in the summer.

£5, start at six, get 5-6 runs in before sunset.

toys19
    Free Member

tr450, but next time I am going to try my BFe and my covert, just for fun. There was a lad on an SC jackal who was flying so it is doable on a HT. What I like about Gawton is that it’s a stomping ground for some proper fast riders, I think it’s because the tracks are so bloody hard, its true DH. So it makes good viewing and inspiration for fat slow mortals such as myself. I often negotiate on the start ramp to go first, give me a few mins to get to a particular jump, and I stand to one side and watch…

I haven’t been there for ages so not a regular, I am about to be though as it is less than an hour from my house. This was my first time on proper job/track 4.

i miss the mid week evening uplifts in the summer.

£5, start at six, get 5-6 runs in before sunset.
    jambo, we should campaign for that, I’m sure if there was interest flyup would cosnider it. I know I would do that. (TBH I’m normally screwed after 5-6 runs so it would suit me perfectly)

jam-bo

I should go more. I live less than 3 miles away and haven’t been there for well over a year…

carlphillips
    Free Member

i try to go every weekend and sometimes on mon/tues during the day…really liking supertavy at the moment, they’ve done a litte work on it and its really riding well. proper job is just fun fun fun…what a great place.

I heard the council are thinking of introducing a parking charge there…bless them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flyup Downhill at Gawton. Uplift in Devon!’ is closed to new replies.