• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by 3narf.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Flyup 417 worth a visit?
  • thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Any feedback? Comparison to BPW – if comparable. Ta

Northwind

Not really comparable tbh but I had a great day. It’s a much smaller operation so you’ll be re-riding trails and there’s less variety, but they’re good enough for that to be worth doing imo… ymmv of course, some people get bored of that fast. The feel of the riding’s fairly different, it’s less forested and made me think of the pyrenees for some reason whereas obviously BPW feels like nothing apart from wet british FC forest.

The uplift felt faster- they go pretty much straight up the hill in landrovers. But you have to push the last section (what is it with these bloomin uplifts? Why can none start at the bottom and end at the top?)

Cafe’s nice, they’ve got their indoor tarmac pumptrack too which is ace, and worth having a razz on the dual slalom too (you can cut into it from the main trails). I’m too shit for the four cross and definitely too shit for the dirt jumps.

Have you been to FOD? It’s not so far away and has a lot more going on… Though I’ve only visited in the dry 😆

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

FOD on list also

astormatt
    Free Member

Like what Northwind says, not comparable at all. It sounds weird but if you go expecting an amazing day out, you will probably be disappointed as they only have a few trails to ride. But i am a big fan.
    My last visit was eventful and funny, for me anyway! we hit the 4X first and my mate somehow, didn’t get clipped in properly and within 20 meters of the start gate, he was on the floor having got his crown jewels dragged into the back wheel and into the frame! Then after lunch he completely messed up a jump and used his rather nice troy lee lid as a brake, then to make matters worse, i cracked his carbon bars trying to get them straight after his crash.
    As my local uplift spot, i have been quite a lot the back end of last year, i really like it.
    As i have said before on previous threads, the uplift drivers are great and you are never really hanging around too much, they sometimes take staggered lunches so you can carry on riding without a lunch break.
    It seems more relaxed than Bike Park, more than likely because its less busy but i am sure you will enjoy it.
    One thing to point out is, as there are no trees, be careful and watch your speed as its easy to hit things too fast as you have no visual reference of how fast you are going.

stevied
    Free Member

its easy to hit things too fast

Come on now… 😆

M1llh0use
    Free Member

3 tracks. Black, red and blue, red has several lines.

Slippery when wet.

Blue has lots of berms.

Great fun but packed up after 8 runs when mech fouled up on mud 🙁

cokie

Good fun for a day out;
    – short tracks (max about 3 mins)
    – not difficult (chicken runs available too)
    – friendly staff (apart from some uplift drivers)
    – cracking Cafe
    – it’s really nothing like other trail centers/uplifts
    – indoor pump track & dirt jumps are alright

If you don’t build it up to be BPW and just go for a laugh, then it’s good fun. Something available for complete novices and experienced riders.

Andy_K

FOD has a lot of rolling closures atm due to forestry, check before you go.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

When we went the 4X/dual/jumps were shut as it had rained heavily overnight. I found the blue a bit boring (couldn’t get anywhere near fast enough to double up the upper trail features), the red was OK for a couple of runs, but watch out for the doubles at the end, full commitment required and a big step up from the easy to clear tabletops on the blue.

The black however was an absolute riot. There was next to zero grip with crashes on most corners and hilarious overtakes with your mates.

Pump track and cafe also ok.

Overall it is worth a look, but too expensive to compare to revs/stiniog etc

timidwheeler

Fod is much better. I found 417 too limiting. Not being able to easily get across to the 4x and dual slalom was just frustrating.

3narf
    Free Member

I live in Cirencester but haven’t ridden it yet; I took family to have a look last week (minus bikes, as we were passing) and it looks good. My kids (8,10,12) and Mrs should manage the blue run OK, and kids are looking forward to the pump track.

Cafe is big and roomy, and good value. Loads on menu.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Flyup 417 worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.