Viewing 21 posts - 161 through 181 (of 181 total)
  • FlyUP 417 project
  • smatkins1
    Free Member

Anyone done a push-up day yet.
    How did it go?
    Can you ride up easy enough?

I went on Wed for a push up. I earned my Duke of Edinburgh bronze award in the process! You won’t be riding up. It’s a muddy push up through a field, spot the gap in the hedge, jump the muddy stream. Continue through the next steep muddy field and push through a few small sections of woodland. There isn’t much signing and your not allowed to use the surfaced track for the uplift landrover. I was arriving at the top with about 50lbs of mud clogging up my wheels and on my shoes. Moan Moan Moan.

I shouldn’t moan though, it’s work in progress. I just didn’t want to pay for the uplift for the 4 housi was going to be there. I enjoyed the trails, well the blue and the red. Your going to have to be pretty handy to hit the black as intended, especially with all this mud. The pump track and indoor jumps look superb!

stevied
    Free Member

If anyone is interested in selling an uplift pass for this Friday (8th) as a mate can’t make it now. £33 or he might be one to offers.

cokie

I headed over yesterday and really enjoyed it.
    I managed to fit in 14 runs- mixing blue, red & black.

Initial impressions are that it’s worth a visit. I travelled an hour and was really happy. Trails are short and the Blue (longest) takes nearly 3 minutes. Blue and red are well armoured so were running dusty and lose whilst the black is natural and a bit muddy.

Blue: Nice and flowy, easy to carry speed and clear the doubles, but also suitable for novices if they roll it all
    Red: My favourite- pretty fast with rock gardens and small drops. The doubles at the end are easy if you have speed. I saw lots of riders caught out on various parts of the trail.
    Black: Easier than the red in my opinion, there’s chicken lines (unofficial) but the drops and gaps aren’t actually that big and providing you carry the speed they are easy enough to clear.

The only bit that was a tad frustrating was the uplift speed. There was sometimes a long wait for the landy to arrive and then the uplift drivers would check, check and double check every bike taking a long time. I assume this will become more lax once they have settled in (like their other uplifts at FOD and Gawton).

Other bits: Firendly Staff, good cafe, good parking and nice range of Kona’s to rent.

All in I really enjoyed it. I’ll be heading back again soon. It can only get better once they develop the rest of the land and the trails bed in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deanfbm
    Free Member

In two minds what bike to take for the uplift, all looks pretty tame and that to make the most of it you want a bike that rolls fast and pumps well, ie a big fat enduro or DH bike would kill the fun there, correct?

pyekid
    Free Member

Stevied, Do you still have a ticket for sale April 8th, one of my mates was due a visit with us but missed out on tickets.
    Email in profile.

monkeyboyjc

Just got back from my 1st uplift day. I’d hired a mondraker crafty + from Slam69 and would highly recommend it if you need to hire – slam is only 5 or 10min away and the hire bikes Are nicer and cheaper….. The trailers took the + size tyres ok just with a little help from the staff.
    Any way, im not the best rider (nor the slowest that was there) but here are my thoughts:

The blue trail – bit of a bmx (no natural stuff) but fun filled and still a challenge no matter what level you are – it’s rideable at fast speed you just need to be spot on with your lines. There was one bum that caught me out every time.
    The red – Personaly I’d say it’s on the higher end of the red classification. If you can’t ride the first 300 yrds, your best sticking to the blue. Some really good more technical sections towards the top, rock gardens in the middle and bigger jumps at the bottom. All of it is rollable.
    I didn’t ride the black – from what I saw of it I could have but the jumps put me off… its a fair bit steeper and more of a natural dh run. Where as the red and blue wouldn’t be out of place in a manufactured trail centre route.
    The uplift service is great. Today was fully booked and I think the longest I waited was 4 mins for a trailer.
    The cafe was a bonus as it was reasonably priced and did a good full English for £4!

I live about a 10min drive away but as mentioned earlier in this thread my (only) bike us a fat bike which currently doesn’t fit on the uplift trailer – speaking to the staff there are plans for 1 or two fat bike slots buy that wont be for a while at a guess.

You can pay £7 and walk up which as a local who has a bike that doesn’t fit the trailer is appealing but….. The push up looked a bit of a mare. Id heard it’s rideable, but you’d have to be pretty fit and I wouldn’t want to do that 10 times in a day. Most people who pushed seemed to session sections of yhe blue rather than go to the top.

I’ll be going back in the summer, definitely if they sort out fat bikes on the trailer…..

monkeyboyjc

deanfbm – Member

In two minds what bike to take for the uplift, all looks pretty tame and that to make the most of it you want a bike that rolls fast and pumps well, ie a big fat enduro or DH bike would kill the fun there, correct?

Depends – most people were on trail or ‘enduro’ bikes today, but there were quite a few dh rigs as well. If you have a dh bike I’d take that – it’s not like you’ll be riding up…

spectabilis
    Free Member

deanfbm – Member

Yeah pretty much.
    Had a good mix in our group. 2 DH bikes 2 hardtails, me on my Rigid.
    In between 160/120 enduro/trail bikes NS Snabb, Alpine 160, Orbea Rallon, SC 5010 etc.
    Quickest down was tha A160, guys on the DH’s basically ride them to make things easier rather than to go bigger.
    Trails are quite tight and generally a bit awkward on big long DH type bikes.
    Me on my Rigid and the lad on the Snabb were last off the hill for the day.
    So overall IMO a trail bike is all you need.

I did about 5 each of the blue and red black was v muddy and not worth riding.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Makes for interesting reading on this latest page of thread.

I too am a local and looking to try it out rather than waste diesel going down forest even if I do like down there.

Having never paid to ride before, I’m a bit of a cynic but appreciate that a lot of time and money have gone into this and will take time to establish.
    I’d like to show some form of support to ride/help out there perhaps even.

Is it a case of you can just turn up unannounced and pay to ride?

I’m not going to get too hung up on what bike to take but probably a 130mm/140mm full suss to try out then bring the 26+ steely sometime in the future for s#its and giggles.

So who’s local, and doesn’t mind a work in progress type rider who aspires to be a rider like you?
    thanks in advanced. 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

I was there yesterday on an old Orange 5. For me fine, I’m not going to be doing the gaps just yet but otherwise more than enough bike.

A lad was having fun on an NS HT and there were DH rigs and Enduro bikes too.

Blue was fast and fun. Red more technical and my favourite and black was a tad slippy up the top. I suspect it’ll take quite a few runs for me to gel with the black.

I think once it gets more runs it’ll be a superb place to go; to that end I’m keen to support it whilst it only has the three for now. Can’t wait until summer

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I am local but you cant just turn up all has to be booked and if you only want to do the push-up still has to be booked can not go and look either in less you are with someone paying all bit to regimented for me do look down on the tracks when riding over to Birdlip wood etc look good still cheaper to do 50miles round trip to the forest and more on offer everybody to there own.

SOAP
    Free Member

Dobiejessmo have you even been to flyup417
    You can just turn up pay entry fee then buy 1 or 5 uplifts or push up for free.

monkeyboyjc

There’s also the option of 4pm_8pm late rides now for the locals bit i cant remember what days/nights thsee are on.

When I went a few weeks back they were talking about a discount for locals based on proof of postcode but I don’t think they have sorted this yet.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I look down from the hills at it a lot when I asked ages ago they said it was booking only then I rode there to have a look not long after it was opened to see what the tracks were like and the guy on the gate was a bit off so maybe things have changed and I talked to the wrong person I only live near by in Cheltenham.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Some riders there the other day just turned up and paid. No booking.

monkeyboyjc

The booking only period was when they had a load of prebooked days form there crowd funding page. If they have spare places they’ll let you in now and also push up. But your better off booking or at least give the website a look if your going on a weekend (it’d be a disappointing drive other wise).
    The late pm / evening mid week rides are of interest to me also being local. But I’d wait untill the uplift has a fat bike hitch 1st as it’s a bit if a hike up the hill for 3hrs.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

3HRS for what!? To climb to top!??

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I see cheers will try again.

monkeyboyjc

3HRS for what!? To climb to top!??

For an after work session.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Oh now I see! 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

went up for an evening ride last night 6-30 til 8, as ever all of the staff were really helpful. Bought a ‘book’ of tickets for £15 which allows you to just jump on the uplift as and when you go. Think i managed to get in 4-5 runs so happy with that on a sunny clear evening overlooking the malverns 8)

FYI the uplift only runs in the evenings monday and friday

Viewing 21 posts - 161 through 181 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘FlyUP 417 project’ is closed to new replies.