Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Flying with my bike. Tyres, and shocks air in or out?
  • stoddys
    Free Member

So I’ve heard its best to let some pressure out of everything when you fly, is this correct!
    Tyres
    Forks
    Rear shock
    Dropper post

On or all of them?

kimbers

Nah wouldn’t worry, never do with mine

Tyres deflated might be useful if the wheels are a tight fit in your bag

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Never done any of that. Flown countless times with a bike.

julians
    Free Member

No need to, unless you cant fit it in the bag without deflating bits.

beej

Hold is pressurised to similar levels that you get up mountains. My tyres have never exploded up a mountain.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah – what they said.

crazy-legs

But when asked by security if you’ve let the tyres down, the correct answer is ‘yes’.

Never get into a debate on it or try to be clever by asking them if the plane lets its tyres down mid flight… 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What wheel size are you using? Some airlines can’t fit 29ers in the hold, so it’s best to check in advance.

stoddys
    Free Member

Thanks folks

That’s going to save a lot of faffing

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hold is pressurised to similar levels that you get up mountains. My tyres have never exploded up a mountain.

IIRC air pressure at sea level is 14.7psi
    So even if you took your bike into space, it still wouldn’t explode.

andyv
    Free Member

Best not to point out in a smartarse sort of way the compressed air cylinder in every lifejacket under every seat either. Airport security has very little sense of humour!

stoddys
    Free Member

Any one know about the maximum size box?
    Just been on their site, it just says bag or box.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^See above^^

stoddys
    Free Member

^^See above^^

Yes but a 29er is the same diameter wheel as a road bike just an extra 100mm in total (50 each end)for the taler rubber.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

stoddys – Member
    Any one know about the maximum size box?
    Just been on their site, it just says bag or box

They should list a max size somewhere in the luggage list. The ones that are supplied by airlines on Oz are huge compared to a normal bike box or travel case.

julzm
    Free Member

And mind don’t take any co2 canisters. The rule on how many, if any, seems to change from day to day and airline to airline.

earthmover

Took two bikes out to Whistler last year and did all the deflating as instructed. Forgot to do it on the way back (rode until 5 minutes before leaving!) Nobody said anything, tyres, forks and shock didn’t explode.
    Going again this year, will probably drop the pressures a bit in my now tubeless tyres, just in case.
    What is the collective wisdom on what to do with a dropper post though? Didn’t have one last time.
    Mark

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t bother dropping the pressures unless you need to to for the bike in its box. It’s pointless.

Milkie
    Free Member

Yea, deflate your tyres and shock… Cos they do it with the planes tyres! 😉

If you’re taking off on a conveyor belt then the laws of physics do not apply.

This thread pops up a couple of times a year.

globalti
    Free Member

Would you believe, last week Cycling Weakly published a letter from a pilot saying something like: “Imagine what would happen if a whole cycling team flew with their bikes and didn’t deflate the tyres, which all exploded in the hold!”

It’s not good knowing there are pilots out there with such a shaky grasp of physics! Do TDF teams let their tyres down when they go over an Alpine col? No they don’t and an aircraft hold is pressurised to roughly the same altitude.

mtbfix

Never get into a debate on it or try to be clever by asking them if the plane lets its tyres down mid flight…

Fwiw, my old neighbour was a technician at heathrow and said they fill plane tyres with nitrogen (iirc) which is not effected by altitude.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i don’t even know where to begin with that one.

hot_fiat

Nope,they fill Aircraft tyres with nitrogen as it is less likely to aid combustion in the event of a fire, you also get less condensation which is good when trundling along at -40C – I like aircraft tyres with less icicles. Costco spout some crap about them filling up with N2 as well to prevent pressure changes. Presumably they’ve never heard of the ideal gas equation.

legend
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    i don’t even know where to begin with that one.
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Definitely a smile and nod situation

Milkie
    Free Member

I thought Nitrogen was only used as it is less of a fire risk. I definately remember filling some tyres on Concorde with Air not Nitrogen. 😯

EDIT: doh just seen Hot Fiat’s response.

perthmtb
    Free Member

What is the collective wisdom on what to do with a dropper post though?

I asked the country distributor/service agent for LEV that one, and he said not to bother dropping the pressure as KS deliver them to him by air and fully pressurised, so it can’t be an issue.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Yeah, for shocks / droppers it’s worth bearing in mind that the increase in pressure due to altitude is a tiny fraction of the increase in pressure they go through thousands of times as they compress on a ride.

My understanding is that generally (and up to a limit) a seal improves as the pressure differential increases because the o-ring / seal deforms more. So I guess the worst you’ll expect is increased stiction from the air-seal in a plane. Counter intuitively, you’re more likely to get leaks with less air in your shocks. The same is true for tubeless tyres, they’re more likely to burp with less air in.

stoddys
    Free Member

Ok since my thread has popped up again.
    Here is what I did.

NOTHING.
    I left the pressure in everything, that was 10 days ago.
    Interestingly I’ve just been out to the bike and the dropper goes down a few mm now. I will check the pressure later.

As for the box.
    It was massive, the local shop gave me a box from a road bike widest I’ve ever seen. 170cm long at least 25cm wide.
    It fitted my anthem 29 with the front wheel off no problems.
    I asked at the desk, cyprus end what happens if it would not fit on the convayer belt, her reply some one would come and carry it. So as long as it’s a “bike box” no problem. But cyprus is quite layer back.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve flown a 6m kayak, which definitely doesn’t fit on a conveyor belt. Oversize luggage is a fairly standard thing – skis normally get hand carried as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Man, that is bad taste.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Some airlines demand it, regardless of the lack of physics knowledge behind it. Emirates when we flew to India checked the bags and made us deflate the tyres (they didn’t have a clue there was a rear shock at 200psi) and I’ve a check in desk on a US internal flight check too.

So, physics says no, some airlines say yes and will check tyres.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Flying with my bike. Tyres, and shocks air in or out?’ is closed to new replies.