Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Flying with dogs, experiences?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

We live in Norway and would like to get a dog, i’m from Newcastle and my girlfriend is from Sweden therefore the dog will inevitably be a bit of a (wo)man of the world and will be getting a passport.

It would make sense to get a dog from the UK as it costs way less over there but I can’t seem to find any airlines that might allow us to take the dog.

Does anyone have any experience of flying out of the UK with their dog, is it even possible or can you only drive/train?

oldnpastit

There’s a doggy comfort break area in the airport at San Jose, just past the security area, so I guess people must do it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If your from Newcastle, the Newcastle – Amsterdam ferry takes dogs.

Once in Europe, you can take small dogs in the cabin and I think the other rules are more relaxed than in the UK. Might be worth asking KLM?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What you need is an emotional support duck.

(Fly a lot to/in the US and am increasingly fed up of people with so called ’emotional support’ animals on flights! 🙂 )

allfankledup

You looking at a pup? Would need housetrained and inoculated wouldn’t it before it could travel much ?

kormoran
    Free Member

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Gobuchul – good shout it flying is out of the question, had not thought of that!

That duck is hilarious

The dog’s we’re specifically looking at are either rescue dog or a border collie (so he can come on rides with us) that is a big older and is an unused worker dog or a ‘non-worker’ as people seem to call them. Collie breeders seem to sometimes have pups around 6-12 month old that they’ve decided are no good for working so need homed at pets.

Drac

SaxonRider

Flying with dogs, experiences?

A bit unnerving, actually.

Flaperon

I suspect probably quite airline and network dependent. We occasionally carry dogs on our flights, but unless a guide dog they ride in their own box in the hold.

Presumably drugged to the eyeballs, as they always seem asleep when I take a photo of them for the owners if they’re looking worried.

mattyfez

I’d like to take my dog to Spain from the UK, getting them certified for travel doesn’t seem too difficult, but putting them in a box in the hold for a few hours, I’m not really comfortable with,he’ll get very stressed and I’m not very comfortable with drugging him.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Flaperon – who is ‘us’? Which airline?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    What you need is an emotional support duck.

You’ve got to be ducking kidding, that’s utterly daff(t)y. I don’t know what sort of mallard-y you need to be prescribed one of those but i imagine the bill from the quack is quite big. I guess you know the system is goosed when you see people swanning around with these things.

Kuco

bruk

Getting a pet passport to travel within the EU is currently pretty simple and takes just over 3 weeks as long as they are over 3 months of age. This might all change with Brexit though.

Flights are pretty expensive however and most people travel by ferry or Eurotunnel. Dogs are not sedated before travelling by plane and I have had a few clients worried about how stressed they get.

A failed working Border Collie don’t always make great pets though so I might consider something else.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Is this the same as swimming with dolphins ..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Getting a pet passport to travel within the EU is currently pretty simple and takes just over 3 weeks as long as they are over 3 months of age. This might all change with Brexit though.

You do know that a pet passport is nothing to do with the EU as such? The scheme was brought in by the UK to protect us from animals coming in from overseas not the other way round?

jam-bo

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z54_d7j-7cc[/video]

jam-bo

but more seriously. you know getting a dog is just a warm up act for having something more substantial to look after….;-)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

It’s not about how you get up, more about how you get down

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can dogs fly?
    Is it true?

Some dogs don’t but….

kormoran
    Free Member

I’ve traveled back and forth to europe from the uk on the ferries quite a lot with the dog. It’s all pretty straightforward with the pet passport system however you must make sure everything is correct when you turn up for your trip. Any errors or bits unsigned etc and they simply won’t let you back in the UK – it happens a lot at calais in particular, i’ve seen lots of angry/disappointed people in the pet check area.

It’s also worth noting that the longer ferries can be a bit brutal for a dog – the hull-zeebrugge for example has all the dogs in a shipping container on the car deck. They have an individual cage but it is not a good experience for them and especially not for a new dog you don’t know well. Our dog is very confident but I wouldn’t do that route again. The best ferry by far for dogs is the Harwich – Hook route, it has a special room for the dogs (still in decent cages), you can visit them when you want and take them on a deck area for a walk, fresh air and pee. Best of all you can see them on the cctv channel in your room so you don’t need to keep checking on them and potentially disturbing them.

Lastly the harwich – hook route is the only sea route out of Britain on foot with a dog and no car. Every other route requires the dog to be in a vehicle on the ferry

gobuchul
    Free Member

Every other route requires the dog to be in a vehicle on the ferry

Not quite.

The DFDS Newcastle – Amsterdam route has certain cabins for your can take your dog, not cheap though.

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/good-to-know/pet-travel

Lifer
    Free Member

If dog and carrier are under 10kg some airlines allow them in the cabin but have to be kept under the seat

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Sounds like a good Alan Partridge tv show idea.

kormoran
    Free Member

Not quite.

The DFDS Newcastle – Amsterdam route has certain cabins for your can take your dog, not cheap though.

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/good-to-know/pet-travel

Oh that is interesting, I did not know that. Might make a difference to next years holiday plans….

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Flying with dogs, experiences?’ is closed to new replies.