Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Flying with CO2 Tyre Inflator Cartridges?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m due to fly with easyjet and want to take some CO2 cartridges, looking at the ‘Information on dangerous goods and prohibited articles’ page of their website it says:

Small non flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 ml water capacity for other devices.

What does ‘up to 50ml water capacity’ mean and are 16g CO2 Cartridges within this? Thanks

EDIT: Please ignore, I’ve just found the following note on the Air New Zealand website:

Note: For carbon dioxide a gas cartridge with a water capacity of 50mL is equivalent to a 28g cartridge.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve heard of people having them taken off them but I’ve had some in my check-in luggage before and never got pulled.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Deep in the hold bag, I always forget about them though

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve heard of people having them taken off them

So have I, which is why I’ve contacted easyjet to get confirmation that I’ll be OK to carry them. I was just confused by the ‘up to 50ml water capacity’ bit.

kilo

Problem I’ve had is the airline being ok but Airport security saying they want them out of the bike bags when they have x rayed them at oversize baggagegate (Durban airport) read somewhere best to stick them in your wash bag with other airosols

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep easyJet have nothing to do with your bags after check in.

bigmandh
    Free Member

They ask if you have any,you say no,the bag goes through. Always works for me.

Alex

Flying Monarch late last year from Brum and we were specifically asked if we had Co2 cartridges in our bike bags. We both did and the fella insisted we removed them (probably should have kept quiet, but it was very early in the morning…)

I really regretted that moment of honesty a few days later sitting on a trail needing to reinflate a tubeless tyre…

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve heard of people having them taken off them

Happened to me, nothing to do with airline policy (or logic), seems to be down to the whim of the security jobsworth on duty.
    Flying out to Canada with a load of fishing gear, including a self-inflating life jacket powered by a C02 cartridge, I was made to remove the cartridge as it was ‘hazardous’.
    Once on the plane the safety briefing explained that under every seat was a self-inflating life jacket, powered by a C02 cartridge.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Just don’t bother. There’s a very good chance you’ll have them confiscated.
    Just make a note to buy some when you get there. They sell them in bike shops abroad, you know 😉

Alex

Not in Orgiva in Spain they weren’t! I went and asked around and even with my best* spanish the only option was an oxygen tank 🙂 Not that there were any actual bike shops either!

* rubbish

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They are used in 101 different things, hardware shops are not a bad bet

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s only for a holiday. Take a couple in every piece of baggage you are allowed to. Then take a pump too.

How often do you really need CO2? I used to need about 3-4 a year worst case.

jonba
    Free Member

I went without for fear of them doing something stupid if they decided they didn’t like them in my hold bag.

If you are with a company they may have then to borrow on a sale or return basis. Equally, when in Mallorca our hotel did the same, there was a box at reception where you could buy them for about 1Eur and they’d take them back and refund if you didn’t need it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Another reason why I’m not keen on flying with bikes. Stuff you can’t take.

But yeah you could try to get some locally there, but then if you’re flying you probably don’t have transport to get out to a suitable store that sells them.

ghostlymachine – Member
    How often do you really need CO2? I used to need about 3-4 a year worst case.

Normally I only use them to seat a tyre tubeless, but had one recently with a sizeable hole that wouldn’t seal but slow puncture on the trail, and a bit of CO2 topping it up a few times got me through the ride (my inflator can be locked off keeping pressure on the cartridge).

dickie
    Free Member

After check-in at Doncaster airport in January & halfway through my lunch, air side, my name was called out on the speaker & I had to accompany security down several stairs & down corridors to a small room & open my case due to a suspicious object.
    CO2 inflator cartridge was confiscated & some forms filled in before I could return to my lunch.

Leave then at home.

BTW – road cycling in Gran Canaria in January is excellent. 22-30 degrees, great roads, great hire from Free Motion.

njee20
    Free Member

and a bit of CO2 topping it up a few times got me through the ride (my inflator can be locked off keeping pressure on the cartridge

Like a pump…?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks all, I might just take a couple in my hand baggage and see what happens (it’ll be less hassle than having my hold baggage opened)! Does anyone have any experience with Gatwick and/or Palma (Mallorca) airports?

deadkenny
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Like a pump…?

Yep 😀

Still yet to find a pump that’s any good and fits in a pocket though.

Though if riding with a backpack those Lezyne mini pumps seem pretty good for their size. Also quite like the mini track pump ones that are compact enough for a bag.

It’s still more than I want to carry though. I’m trying to get it down to not needing a backpack for night rides. May have to resort to a water bottle though! 😮 😀 (but like the ones that just clip onto the holder bolts without a bottle holder required). Pocket sized tools and inflator. Forgo the spare tube?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Clip the pump to your frame.

Check if you are allowed CO2 in hand luggage, have a sneaking suspicion it used to be banned. Hold luggage only.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Clip the pump to your frame.

Already posted this elsewhere where this came up today…

Frame mount pumps – so uncool. Can’t be Enduro with that 😛

JEngledow
    Free Member

Check if you are allowed CO2 in hand luggage, have a sneaking suspicion it used to be banned. Hold luggage only.

The easyjet website (where I found the above) says they can be carried in hold and hand baggage!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Flying with CO2 Tyre Inflator Cartridges?’ is closed to new replies.