Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • flying with chainrings
  • atlaz
    Free Member

A colleague just asked me whether it’s possible to take a chainring in hand luggage and I have to admit I have no idea. What does the hivemind say?

IA

Call the airport you/they’d be boarding at and ask them if they’ll let a sharp pointed metal disc through security, see how you get on with that…*

*my opinion, no.

jimw
    Free Member

A friend tried to do this coming back from Geneva. The chain ring had been damaged but he wanted to keep it. It was confiscated at security.

wwaswas

“It’s like a throwing star only with more teeth”

It’s not going to end well.

bruk

I did once fly to Canada and back with a complete chain set in hand luggage along with pedals and seat and post. Was really struggling to hit weight limit when flying my bike out.

Oh this was 1994 though, probably different now!

peteimpreza

But you regularly see people allowed on board with pens and pencils. Writing isntruments admittedly but sharp stabby things if required………………..

martinhutch

XTR should be fine. Far too soft to hurt anyone.

frood
    Free Member

As someone who goes through airport security for work every day I would be very surprised if they did let you through with it. Fine in a check in bag though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d go with no. Just Jo and not worth the hassle. Security can do what they want really so if you want to keep it check it.

jimw
    Free Member

Things definitely were different in the 90’s. I did a round the world trip where I was walking and camping in various countries over six months with a leatherman tool, a swiss army knife, a lighter etc., all in hand luggage and never once got questioned on the 12 flights I took. The only times I got questioned about my gear was entering New Zealand from Australia and that was just to check my boots were clean.

mtbrog
    Free Member

Don’t know the answer to your question but like others I suspect No! I once had an electrical extension lead confiscated, when I asked why…..it was because it could be used as a weapon!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘flying with chainrings’ is closed to new replies.