Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Flying with Bike lights (battery)
  • jugheaddave
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Anyone had any experiences traveling with rechargeable bicycles head lights?

Looking to purchase on of these in SA Extreme Lights

I ideally dont want to have t bin it at the airport.

Thanks in advance!

dovebiker

Firstly, bike lights use lithium polymer batteries – sometimes gets confused with lithium-metal batteries which are banned on commercial flights.
    Done a few arctic winter races which requires a significant amount of battery-age – simply keep it in your hand-luggage – at Heathrow they were completely indifferent. On return flight from northern Finland I’d simply chucked everything in the bike bag after the race – on my return I’d found they’d searched the bag and removed anything ‘suspicious’ including rechargeables / Energizers Lithiums and I had to pay 35 Euros to have them couriered home. The problem really relates to mobile phones and laptops that can overheat / catch fire but good luck on any airline trying to ban them…although Trump’s having a good go…

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t put them in hold luggage – I’ve had batteries removed and replaced with a note explaining how to get them back. If you can, take the cells out and put them in a ziplock bag so they can be checked. I think the reasoning is it’s better to have them in the passenger cabin in case they catch fire so that can be dealt with.

My first port of call would be the airline as they all have slightly different rules.

Edit: the removal was flying back from Finland, as per Dovebiker.

deadkenny
    Free Member

dovebiker – Member 
    Firstly, bike lights use lithium polymer batteries – sometimes gets confused with lithium-metal batteries which are banned on commercial flights.

Lithium-metal batteries (disposable batteries like button cells) are generally low risk due to small capacity. It’s rechargeable big Lithium-Ion batteries that are the risk. Batteries often sold as LiPo / Lithium-Polymer are actually Lithium-Ion. They just use a polymer casing instead of rigid. They’re technically Lithium-Ion Polymer Case batteries. They are not the same as true Lithium-Polymer batteries (which largely don’t exist outside of labs).

The problem really relates to mobile phones and laptops that can
    overheat / catch fire

Can assure you, LiPo light batteries do catch fire, quite spectacularly.

That’s why you’re advised to charge them in a LiPo bag or box.

Even when not charging they can still be a risk if they are faulty due to short circuits, under charge, and if they are damaged and especially punctured. MTB light batteries get a fair bit of abuse, especially if you crash or drop them.

They’ll be higher up the banned list for airlines as they hold a greater charge than a phone or laptop battery.

Flaperon

Not an issue, just don’t pack in hold baggage and you’ll be fine.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Great news!

Thank for the feedback!!!

dannybgoode

Yeah LiPo batteries are quite entertaining. Use them for rc helicopters and they should be treated with respect!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Less than 100Wh, allowed in carry on. Checked luggage, only if it’s within the equipment (e.g. for devices that have the battery within).

Above 100Wh needs permission and there are tighter restrictions.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

Check the airline though as each have their own rules.

Also, though for drones, some useful advice here as it’s the same for any LiPo stuff.

http://www.dronetrest.com/t/lipo-batteries-and-airport-security-how-to-travel-safely-with-drone-batteries/1396

hofnar
    Free Member

I asked the question a while ago. I ended up sticking them in my hand luggage. Got thorugh heatrow fine recently with three of these packs(endurance racing) of those and some other batteries and powerpack firepower all together. Hold you might see them removed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Flying with Bike lights (battery)’ is closed to new replies.