Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Flying with bike…. Just use cardboard box?
  • boblo
    Free Member

Pipe lagging from B&Q £4, plastic bag from Wiggle £3. That’s all you need. We usually keep both for the return leg as pipe lagging can be difficult to come by in hotter countries…

steeble
    Free Member

Pipe lagging is a good call. I have some fairly industrial bubnle wrap that as packed round a microscope we got at work. Bike bags can be pretty heagy as mentioned earlier which combined with a bike fit for korzine could be an issue, you have to lug it about too

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shipped 6 bikes air freight in boxes, some were very battered on arrival torn etc. Bikes were fine due to what else was packed in them.

Flown with cheap bike bags – squashed drop outs bags trashed (one on the first flight)

In the last 12 months I have done about 20 flights with an Evoc bag, it’s the clear winner.

Olly
    Free Member

Spend a bit of time building a bike specific box and rattle can spray it to waterproof it? Or varnish? Call it a composite. I read Audi r8 bodies are built with araldite. That’s a shed load of little double syringes!

steeble
    Free Member

I think the problem with the box I had was that the handles ripped as it was being abused by baggage handlers, which then tore the box open.

[quote]Wrap in duct tape at corners and handles to give it a bit more strength[/quote]

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Flying with bike…. Just use cardboard box?’ is closed to new replies.