Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Flying to South Africa
  • kilo

Flying to Durban in May with the mtb bikes and just looking at prices with BA and South African Airlines. Just looked at Emirates, anybody flown to SA with Emirates? Not used Dubai as a hub before so interested if it’s worth it, bit cheper than BA and direct from Dubai to Durban rather than faffing at Jo’burg

hofnar
    Free Member

Check bicycle and weight policy. I.e. emirates 300cm box limit
    For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014
    Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.

and weight 30 kilo, BA is not expensive to buy an extra bag around 50£ i belive for another 23 kilo. Emirates once you go over your initial 30kg 180£ each 5 kilo

SAA used to give 10 kg extra now it seems It gives the whole bike for free
    The following Sporting equipment as described below (ONE additional Piece weighing not more than 23kg per passenger & maximum dimension of 158 cm unless specified) is free of charge and must be requested with a SSR SPEQ in the booking:

Cycling: 200cm – 100cm – 75cm
    does not apply if flying codeshare through dubai.

So all depends if you fly heavy packed or not. Do not leave any valuables in luggage Johannesburg is a known for many bags opened and searched.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dubai is a decent hub and Emirates are good although I’ve never taken bike/sports gear with them. I really think BA are one of the best airlines for bags/sports gear, this is offset by their long haul seats which are a bit cramped. Choices choices.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Flying to South Africa’ is closed to new replies.