Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flying to New Zealand with bikes
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Can anyone give me advice on the best airline to fly to NZ with bikes please?

Having looked at a few you only get 20-23kg baggage allowance and you have to get your bike within that. Bike weighs about 12kg put the bike bag is another 4.5kg, plus panniers and camping gear I am into excess baggage charges which are like £35 per kg on some!

cheers

STATO
    Free Member

Most airlines ive looked at recently have changed to an item based system rather than by the kg. Take air-france/KLM. You can take one bag upto 23kg under your normal allowance (they will let you take a bike as your only bag). If you want to take a bike AND a bag you have to pay a one-off fee for the bike, this gives you 23kg for bag and 23kg fro bike, the fee is $200 (or 200euro) tho!

No idea what its like with other airlines at the moment.

joemarshall
    Free Member

When I looked, it was Air New Zealand every time – they let you take the bike for free.

I took a 29" wheeled unicycle, full camping gear, computer, clothes, juggling stuff, bike lights, mountain boots, spare tyres, tools and everything I needed for 6 months of working out there, and was fine. The bike doesn't count towards the weight limit.

Or at least that was how it was 2 years ago – check their website. It was slightly more expensive but a lot less than doing excess baggage.

Oh yeah, and go via LA not via Hong Kong or wherever they go via, as you get about twice as much baggage allowance that way (it is item based going via USA, or weight based going East).

Joe

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I've flown to NZ with my bike a couple of times on Malaysian. Never been charged. Nice airline too, comfy seat and nice cabin crew.

hels
    Free Member

Air New Zealand via LAX. If you go via America you get two pieces allocation, max 35kg each piece, and they do weigh it in my experience. And your allocation for the internal flights carries over so you get the same.

(If you go via Asia its crappy, 25kg max over two pieces)

Have done this loads its no hassle, no charge, and you don't even have to take it through customs at LAX any more.

Although having said that it is just over a year since I flew this route so might have changed !

And don't forget to clean your bike cleaner than it was when you collected it brand new from the shop.

(actually it's not quite no hassle – at Auckland, a city I advise you leave immediately, you have to get to the domestic terminal with your bike but its a 10 minute walk)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Cheers guys, just booked with Air NZ via LAX, it's now 2 pieces at 23kg each.

It is changing on the 26th May though to 1 piece, but if you book before you get the old allowance.

Can't wait till January now

I went with Royal Brunei, (They were cheap!) was a proper blag to get everything in under weight! I was going to reccommend Air NZ as everyone we met told us they were the best!

Are you going MTB'ing or a different kind of riding?

trail_rat
    Free Member

when i went last emirates were the cheapest by long shot – about 400 quid each – but luggage was shit – 25kg each

so we used the 400 quid saved to buy bikes out there – then sold them on at the end ….

we just took panniers (filled) and rack out with us

NZCol

AirNZ give you +10kg extra free when you travel with a bike so you get 33kg total via HK or 2x23kg + 10kg free via US.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

@trailrat, interesting idea!

@nickyb, a road tour probably auckland to queenstown in a roundabout way, then fly back to auckland for my sister in law's wedding (she lives there). We where planning the whole end to end but it wouldn't leave much time for sightseeing which would be silly.

STATO
    Free Member

NZCol – thats only if you go via HK. go via LA and you only get normal checked baggage

ampthill

We did The length of the South Island a long while back, 1994 I think. It was a top trip. The luggage allowance was fine in those days.

Ask if you want any advice or sugestions

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

This is years old experience from the 1990's, Air NZ, JAL were all good.Singapore is the best all round for flights in recent years, having been 10 times now.

Bio security is crucial for a smooth entry; wash ALL your gear, scrub the bike and tyres, check your shoes and dig out all crap. TELL THEM THIS WHEN YOU GO THROUGH

Also, be honest, but they will ask you if you have been near farms etc in the last two weeks.

Enjoy, beware of the sun and let me know if the Red Dog Cafe is still in Rotorua!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flying to New Zealand with bikes’ is closed to new replies.