Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Flying to New York
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’m going to New York later this year. I would prefer to fly from Manchester and with a direct flight. Delta seems to be the first option. Any experiences for flying with them? I’ll be flying economy class.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve flown with Delta (not economy, sorry) and was pretty pleased with them overall. Certainly better than American, and swimming across would be better than United. Delta had a nice, friendly approach to service. Could be because I was flying out their home in Atlanta, but overall good.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

legend
    Free Member

Last time I flew with Delta they served pizza – win.

gonefishin
    Free Member

More important than the airline is the airport in my opinion. Newark isn’t a great airport but the immigration staff are helpful and friendly (or we were very lucky). I think I flew American and it was okay. Nothing special but far from terrible (I’m looking at you Air China). The food was okay and entertainment system good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sitting on your arse for 8 hours or more means the airline is more important than the airport, if you ask me! (From experience…..currently flying to the US once a month. Sometimes more)

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well back in cattle class transatlantic airlines are frankly much of a muchness. I remember the brief and friendly experience with immigration at Newark more than I can remember the name of the airline I flew with.

somouk
    Free Member

I always preferred to go from Dublin so as you could pre-clear American customs if that is still available.

Aer lingus were excellent also which helped.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I went Leeds to Newark with Jet2 and I found Newark immigration staff helpful & friendly – but it was very quiet, maybe that airport is like that, I have nothing to compare it with.

Jet2 flights from LBA are seasonal, October November & December only so that may or may not help. If you want to eat on the flight then you need to pre-book the food, unless snacks will do you

Returning from Newark there were only 2 restaurants in our terminal if that makes any difference

dantsw13

I’d second the recommendations for flying into Newark – it’s closer to Downtown Manhattan than JFK, and you can get a train direct to Penn Station.

Traffic to JFK is a nightmare.

john_drummer
    Free Member

You can also get a bus from Newark to 41st & Park (near Grand Central) for $17 each way IIRC

tonyg2003

Delta is fine – I fly with them at least once a month to the US. Book their premium economy since it’s usually only a small upgrade fee. No better meals (like Virgin or BA) but considerably better seats than economy. Worthwhile paying. Also the planes to Newark are mostly new.

Newark is a bit of pain to get to Manhattan compared to JFK and the Delta terminal is still undergoing construction at Newark but otherwise it’s OK.

pdw
    Free Member

Personally, I’d avoid Delta at all costs. They could not have been less helpful when we travelled with our 1yo a few years ago, a complete contrast to the service we’ve received when flying with children on Virgin.

I’ve been forced to fly Delta once since then (without kids) and whilst they weren’t actively offensive that time, I’d still definitely prefer BA or Virgin.

br
    Free Member

First rule of flying to the USA, if you don’t HAVE to go, don’t.

dantsw13

The problem with USA airlines is that Seniority rules, and as long as an 80 y/o stewardess can open the door on an annual check, there is no retirement age. This means that on any popular(to the crew) trips, like London or Paris, you get a bunch of old, fed up, tired of the job crew.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve flown with Delta to Newark a few times – not a great experience, and the planes were pretty old and didn’t have decent entertainment equipment.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve flown Manchester to Newark with American a couple of years ago in cattle class. Not a good experience. The plane was so old there was no seat back entertainment and everything was shabby.

Last year flew from Manchester to JFK with Thomas Cook Airlines. Much better. Nice new plane and paid for the Premium class with better food, free entertainment and more leg room. If I was doing it again I’d go with them. Only trouble is they are seasonal and I don’t think they start the service up again until April

gg14
    Free Member

I always fly BA and have never had a bad experience. Heard horror stories from the american airliners so I wouldn’t chance it.

tonyg2003

So there are a few well out of date replies here. Delta have mostly brand new planes on flights to the US and many Delta flights are Virgin codeshares so you might well be on a Virgin plane. Delta own 49% of Virgin. I probably prefer to fly Virgin or BA to the US but tend to fly Delta due more to where they fly to.

LHS
    Free Member

Delta have recently been overhauling their aircraft and have upgraded their entertainment systems. I used to avoid them but flew to Connecticut with them 2 months ago and their service was much much improved.

rwm1000
    Free Member

Flew with Delta in the summer to Newark. Nothing bad to report. No glitz or drama – did have an entertainment system though. Flew on a 767 if I remember correctly.

The train into Penn station is great and cheap.

taxi25
    Free Member

+1 for Aer lingus and pre clearing customs and immigration in Dublin. We breezed through in a couple of minutes. Breakfast at the hotel in New York was dominated by horror stories of 3 hour waits at JFK 😯

tonyg2003

Again that’s pretty much out of date. If you have an ESTA and have flown in before with an ESTA you can use the electronic face recognition systems in the US (like US citizens) and I find it quicker than getting through customs in Heathrow or Gatwick. Zero point pre clearing in Dublin.

legend
    Free Member

b r – Member
    First rule of flying to the USA, if you don’t HAVE to go, don’t.
    POSTED 17 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Going by Liner is the only civilised way really

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Going by Liner is the only civilised way really

Oh, I dunno. This isn’t too bad….

What flat pedal shoes for seat 1A?

8)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Flying to New York’ is closed to new replies.