Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Flying to Geneva / Alps for summer MTB trails
  • mikefyb247
    Free Member

Hay all,

gonna finally get my ass over to the alps for some riding. but whats the best way to get there. As i can’t find any cheap flights between June-Sept. They all seem to cater for the ski season then stop, any help suggestions or alternatives welcome, ideally end of June/July period.
    Any sneeky ways to get bikes on a plane cheaply too welcome. I’m in the south so Southmapton or London airports are easiest to get to.

Cheers

Steve77
    Free Member

Easyjet fly there from Gatwick. They can be very cheap if you’re willing to fly at funny times

grum
    Free Member

I prefer to drive, and that’s from the north of England.

lapierrelady

I don’t think flights are on sale for then until april

mikefyb247
    Free Member

how much roughly you spend in the fuel /ferry / eurostar / tolls?
    I like driving too, but that is 2 days gone or a 1.5hr flight…

thegman67

I booked my flights in January going with easy-jet from Edinburgh to Geneva in July.

shifter
    Free Member

It’s never just a 1.5 hour flight.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Flying at the start of August from Edinburgh, was pretty cheap IMO

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

easyjet or ryan air, as soon as they’re available

wallop

Ferry – £90
    Fuel – £180 total (diesel passat estate Calais to Bourg & back plus a few trips out (Tignes/Courmayeur))
    Tolls – 180 euros total IIRC.

mikefyb247
    Free Member

Sweet, cheers for the info guys. I know its 1.5hr of scratch card sales plus a hole load of to and from airports etc.

so driving about £420 not bad cheers wallop.

Anyone done passport de soliel? If i’m right its just a long days riding with loads of others. After are all the trails full or riders or can you still find quiet stuff?

BoardinBob

Doing Glasgow to Geneva via Heathrow in July. £200 return. Can’t complain at that

leeph
    Free Member

Flew many times, but prefer driving – dine it the last two yearsLeave Newcastle around lunchtime – share driving, in Morzine bikes built and out on the bikes the following lunchtime.

You can take spares, tools and don’t have the worry of easy jet forgetting or damaging your bike.

Even when the French police catch you speeding its only a 60 euro fine!

grum
    Free Member

Advantage of driving is you can take as much gear as will fit – spare wheels, tyres, toolbox etc.

Edit – as leeph already said. 🙂

wallop

I think I might have overestimated the tolls actually.

wallop

Oh and the drive is amazing. Apart from the obvious tiredness aspect, the French roads are a joy to drive on, and the service stations are great. Can’t wait to do it again!

steelfan
    Free Member

I recently bought a return to Geneva from Gatwick in June for £80 flying with easy.

Try skyscanner for cheap flights

Northwind

We flew easyjet from Edinburgh, no stress- someone at Geneva had a fairly halfhearted go at destroying my bike, but nothing too serious.

Easyjet prices are a mystery to all, though.

bigjim

sleazyjet edinburgh-geneva return was £200 yesterday with a bag and a bike.

ampthill

I’ve flown a family of 4 to geneva im late August for £350 return. No bikes but lots of camping gear. Its a matter of buying flights on cheap days and getting in early. This summer I think its about £450

oliverd1981
    Free Member

A few years ago it was way cheaper for 4 of us to fly (From the North East)than to drive, but there are progressively fewer and fewer summer flights and the price keeps creeping up. Last year 2 of us drove and it was only very marginally more expensive and a whole lot more convenient in terms of luggage, spares, not needing transfers.

Having the car when you get there opens up more accommodation options, lets you get a load of food etc. at the supermarche.

Don’t go via Switzerland, this year the vignette is 150CHF!

Mackem

If you drive, use the chunnel, book the cheapest ticket on the day you want (usually 4am) and arrive “late”.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve flown Manchester –> GVA a few times with the bike and driven twice. Flying is pretty painless, and getting a hire car the other end was easy. I suspect driving might have been cheaper but I prefer a bit of wandering around airports and waiting compared with hours of dreary motorway noise.

The only mishap was a bent rotor once. Fortunately on the way home.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Don’t go via Switzerland, this year the vignette is 150CHF!

are you sure that isn;t the fine for not having one? They’re still 40cfh afaic

oliverd1981
    Free Member

are you sure that isn;t the fine for not having one? They’re still 40cfh afaic

To be fair that was based on an anecdote from a transfer driver. Still seems kind of steep for 20 miles of motorway that was distinctly British (tailbacks and lane closures) when we went.

Digger90
    Free Member

I usually drive but Easyjetted last year.

God, it was awful… mahooosive queues at airport Football crowd sized queues!) lugging heavy bikes from pillar to post – I told an Easyjet rep they really needed to work on their process as you literally had to drag your bike back and forth. Then a 4hr delay on outbound flight… sigh.

The return was worse.. big argument with nazi Easyjet check in woman who wanted to charge me over £50 excess baggage despite me having printed out Easyjet’s baggage policy beforehand and underlined the relevant clauses.. made it really unpleasant.
    Then someone took my son’s bag so we had the polava of all that, only getting it back 2 days later.

NEVER AGAIN!

I’m back to driving.

Although the costs stated above seem cheap compared to what it costs us…

Petrol
    It’s 1,300 miles round trip from me (I’m near Gatwick actually) / 30mpg = 43 Gals/195 litres x £1.60 (petrol was euro 1.71 a litre last week when I drove skiing) = £312

Tunnel
    Anything from £120 – £200

Tolls
    £120

So a total of approx £500 – £600. Not bad when 2-3 of you sharing costs.

nuke

End of August last year we used Swiss air from Heathrow to Geneva with our bikes and it came in at around £130 for there and back.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I’ve flown to Genevre many times for skiing, never with my bike, but if its as useless as when you go skiing i’d avoid like the plague.

Driving would be my preferred option if doing it.

mikefyb247
    Free Member

Cheers for all the help.
    Found ba flights 140 so no easy jet to deal with and only 13quid more!. driving id prefer but another time when I can afford the time.
    Chatel anyone been? Much for my wife to while I’m ripping the trails?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Chatel anyone been? Much for my wife to while I’m ripping the trails?

Once she’s done the bob-luge, deval karts and fantasticable it think there’s a pottery shop, a toy shop and a bakery to see… although some of the lift assisted walking must be quite spectacular. I can recommend a route that will make even the most nervous lady rider love the alps too.

Having been to Chatel both with and without the car I have to say it’s easier with. You can nip to Morgins or Pre la Joux much more easily. If there’s just the 2 of you I’d consider a hire car from Geneva instead of transfers. When are you thinking of going? – I’d love to go back.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Flying to Geneva / Alps for summer MTB trails’ is closed to new replies.