Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Flying to Canada with a bike?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We’re looking to book flights to Calgary and are both taking our bikes. It’s pretty hard to get a straight answer from airlines as to what their costs will be, but this is what I reckon so far:

BA – £65 for an extra checked in bag, plus ‘possibly’ an extra £65 for an overweight bag (each way)

Air Canada – $100 for the extra bag, plus $50 ‘bike handling fee’ (?!?!) plus tax each way, so about £200 total

Air Transat – $30 each way

Anyone got any other suggestions? Strange that the budget airline seems to be the cheapest. And say what you like about Easyjet, at least their policy is pretty clear. Also, BA dont publish an email address for questions, they prefer to use Twitter for some bizarre reason.

thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

You can take non-motorised bicycles of up to 190cm (75in) in length as part of your checked baggage, provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.

Sporting goods on British Airways

You can take many types of sports equipment as part of (but not in addition to) your free checked baggage allowance:

All sporting equipment has to be packed appropriately to avoid damage and meet the size and weight restrictions of your allowance.
    You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) for an additional charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.) Any items larger than this require shipping as cargo.
    Items over 23kg may incur an overweight baggage charge.

BA rules (as I read them) Sporting goods up to a specified size no problem, go over the size and there is a fee but the currently waive that. Basically it doesn’t go down the normal luggage route and has to go oversize which is extra handling, the fee will be in case the airport decide to add an oversize fee for the carrier (it’s there but not applied at the moment)

Depending on the bike and bag you should be able to get it at 23kg (Evoc is 9kg) or pay the extra and stuff loads in there. If I’m close pedals and rotors go into a hold bad to drop the weight.

And say what you like about Easyjet, at least their policy is pretty clear.

BA policy looks crystal clear

gaberin
    Free Member

I went with westjet but only checked my bike bag, and took a medium size and small bag on board.
    The weight limit for the bike bag was around 40kg, so I also added some clothes, pump, tools etc
    The bike bag counted as a normal piece of checked luggage so cost £10, which I thought was pretty good.
    You many want to double check this is still the case, I found the best way was to post on the various fb pages

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The weight limit for the bike bag was around 40kg, so I also added some clothes, pump, tools etc
    The bike bag counted as a normal piece of checked luggage so cost £10, which I thought was pretty good.

Definitely check as no airline does over 32kg in any bag as it’s over handling guidelines

stevied
    Free Member

When I went in Sept last year, with AIr Canada, I used my bike box as only piece of checked luggage and made use of the 2 cabin bag allowance.
    Packed helmet and most of my biking clothes into the box, everything else went in 2 bags.

dovebiker

Most airlines are in the region of £60/100 Euros / 100 Dollars for outbound / inbound journeys with a maximum baggage allowance of 32kg for a single item of oversize baggage. For business class, they might count the bike as part of your normal allowances. I’m off again to the Arctic, so know my allowances pretty well as I’ll be right on my maximum – the days of ‘negotiating’ at the check-in are long-gone.

13thfloormonk

Can’t speak for the other airlines but when I flew with Airtransat they were brilliant, I gave the girl at check in a big smile and presented her with a 60 litre backpacking rucsac (counted as sporting gear = free) all my worldy possessions in my hold luggage, just under weight limit, and then paid the £30 for my bike bag.

First time I booked the bike in advance they even opened another check in queueueu for me because my rigid case couldn’t go round the corners in the serpentine queueue 8)

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Mike – dont know about you but any policy using the words “may incur” is less than crystal clear!

I’ll have a 20kg bag of regular checked in luggage, so the bike is in addition to the regular 1 x 23kg allowance.

Last year bikes were completely free to the USA with Virgin, looks like most airlines are cutting back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike – dont know about you but any policy using the words “may incur” is less than crystal clear!

All it’s saying is there may be more charges if you go over the limit. Don’t go over the limit.

gaberin
    Free Member

@Mikesmith – maybe oversize baggage can… westjets weight limit is actually 45kg

As of 22/06/16, so may want to double check this is still the case

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First I’ve ever seen, anywhere else and you would be removing items at the checkin desk (including oversize) as it’s handling stuff.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Nope- ‘may’ <> ‘clear’. I work in financial services promotions – if we said “if you make more than 3 withdrawals in a 12 month period you MAY INCUR an interest penalty’ we’d be in trouble.

But that’s airlines for you, ask Mr Garrison. Most said they couldnt even tell me the allowance until I booked a ticket, then want to communicate by Twitter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK, all yours then. Simply though don’t exceed the limits or you may be charged. I’ve only been charged once and I’ve pushed limits a few times, depending on a heap of factors they may let it slide. I paid £75 for an extra 3kg Newcastle to Melbourne once.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m used to stuff my shoes, pack etc into my bag when flying with Easyjet, tends to push the weight up to 27kg or so, guess I just need to avoid that this time. Packing for 6 weeks though, with some climbing kit too, so might be tough (not asking for sympathy though!).

shortcut

I’ve flown with AirTransat in the past and as has been stated above it is £30 each way for the bike at 32kg as an addition to your regular 23kg bag. They do handle quite a lot of bikes out of Gatwick and their standards and value are excellent.

I am booked with them to Calgary later this year.

gaberin
    Free Member

I’ve just double checked and it’s 25 CAD for 1st checked and 35 CAD for the 2nd..
    Westjet may be a little budget, but having flown with both them and emirates last year, they offered a much better service. Plus the fact it only cost me £350 return.
    They are definitely worth considering

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

shortcut – that’s good to know. Only downside seems a lack of free booze on the 9hr flight?!

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve flown with AirTransat in the past and as has been stated above it is £30 each way for the bike at 32kg as an addition to your regular 23kg bag. They do handle quite a lot of bikes out of Gatwick and their standards and value are excellent.

I am booked with them to Calgary later this year.

(Slightly OT). I’m looking to fly to Calgary or Edmonton this summer, with my young family, and Air Transat or Westjet seem to be the cheapest options. How do you find them?

plumber
    Free Member

(Slightly OT). I’m looking to fly to Calgary or Edmonton this summer, with my young family, and Air Transat or Westjet seem to be the cheapest options. How do you find them?

I’ve flown with them many times to Calgary

Never had a problem (except don’t eat the pretzls they hand out :-))

shortcut

From a customer POV I have no problem recommending Transat.

ransos
    Free Member

Thanks both.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Flying to Canada with a bike?’ is closed to new replies.