• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Flying Scotsman tomorrow…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyone know whats happening? As in, is it going from York back north again & if so what time’s it leaving? Have a good vantage point in mind & grandaughters never seen a steam train.
    Not that I’m remotely interested of course.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I read that they are not releasing exact timings to try and prevent the mass trespassing incidents they had last time!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Some times in the quote from the press below, hopefully you can work out when it’ll pass you OP…

It is expected into Durham at 4.40pm that day and should roll through Newcastle at 5pm on its way to Edinburgh, where passengers will alight for a three-day break. So you might be able to catch a glimpse of the train as it heads up through Northumberland towards the Scottish borders.

njee20
    Free Member

This appears to be it. Dunno where you are, but you can keep a track of RealTimeTrains (mobile is fine) and it’ll show real progress so you’ll know when to expect it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers njee, I’m in Boroughbridge & there’s a great spot near Alne where a footpath takes you over the line.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Oh dear…there’s been a cock up!
    Only network rail…

njee20
    Free Member

It’s the ECML, which is its old stomping ground, and it’s W12 gauge IIRC, no way it’ll exceed that. Bit odd. 😕

onehundredthidiot

I’m surprised that they don’t know the dimensions of the engine and the stations bridges etc down the waverley line. You’d think someone might have had some plans when they were building.

jamesy01
    Free Member

It’s a strange one indeed…I think SRPS ran steam excursions down that line last year.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

According to Realtimetrains It’s still scheduled to leave York at 14.59.

I Caitlyn cant’t wait!

project
    Free Member

as with any new stock to a rail line, all platforms, tunnels, over and underbridges along with overhead wire heights and signal structures need to be checked for clearances, just incase the train hits something and derails or causes a problem for following trains.

while scotsman has probably driven those lines before, things get moved, tracks slewed over etc, always best to ere on safety, wghen a train full of hundreds of people, many galons of boiling hot water and a huge weight are involved.

and as we speak new hitachi trains are also being checked for clearances on the ecml

http://www.rssb.co.uk/Library/groups-and-committees/2013-guide-vehicle-structure-sic-guide-to-british-gauging-t926.pdf

page 62

onehundredthidiot

In planning for two years. Surely early stage of planning is “will it fit?”

thenorthwind

That realtimetrains thing is making me feel too much like a trainspotter for my liking. This one presumably? http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50504/2016/05/14/advanced

Will try and catch it when it comes through Wallsend. It goes about 200 yards from my house so seeing as it’s probably the most famous train in the world, I could probably spare half an hour to go and see it pass. That’s my trainspotting limit though.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

When they rolled out the networker, sorry notworker trains in the SE, they had to grind some platform edges after the new trains running boards under the doors gouged/got ripped off on supposedly to gauge tracks and platforms……

beamers

Looks like the Scotsman is back on again:

Flying Scotsman Borders Railway and Forth Bridge trip back on – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-36292966%5D%5B/url%5D

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had a good view of it steaming past at about 50mph. Only 2 other “enthusiasts” there too. Grand sight & sound!

Drac

Seen loads lined up on my back north late afternoon but was too busy at work to park up. 😕

Swelper
    Free Member

An inaminate object that lives. A piece of beauty and engineering wisordry. I love live steam

Northwind

It’s alright, Derek Mackay went full radge and they’ve decided just to run the route rather than get chinese burned to death. Or this is my interpretation.

StirlingCrispin

This is the Flying Scotsman on Sunday to Tweedbank:
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54201/2016/05/15/advanced

Drac

You wait all day for a train and then…..

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=0Rs1KXQgHeM[/video]

redthunder
    Free Member

@drac

That was good 🙂

br
    Free Member

Looked good coming through Galashiels 🙂

Drac

Couldn’t get this am to see it again even though I’m 1/2 mile from the nearest view point. Half a dozen reports to write scuppered that.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Flying Scotsman tomorrow…’ is closed to new replies.