• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by igm.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fluoro, Highly Reflective, Waterproof, commuting jacket
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Are there any good deals on a decent functioning yellow jacket for winter commuting.

the route is only 6miles, so doesnt need to be water proof exactly but close enough. Warmth again isnt really an issue as im a soft southerner so it rarely goes below zero.

So high viz is the most important factor, along with fit.

matt_outandabout

I have an old RAC Hi viz lumi orange / reflective ‘over top’ that goes on over anything else. Speak to your local RAC man 😉

iainc

altura night vision ? often deals about

jackthedog
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision.

Jamie
    Free Member

faint
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision Windproof jersey or the Rainproof jacket(in hi-vis yellow)
    Did struggle to find the jersey, found it in Evans eventually.

Hi-Vis and visible from all angles. Good Value

Do not understand why some companies state hi-vis but half the jacket is black

ourmaninthenorth

Polaris RBS – see review on Road.cc

(Don’t own it, no connection. Just caught my eye recently, and looks like what you’re after.)

EDIT – you wrote “waterproof”. I read “windproof”. May not be so good – that said, I’ve never been much of a waterpfoof fan. Windproof always seems enough for me.

soobalias
    Free Member

anyone know what the “Evo” one is, a quick google seems to have it more expensive…..

organic355
    Free Member

altura night vision

highly relective yes, water proof no.

well mine isnt anyway, think mine is last years evo.

it keeps the rain off for a bit, but its not as good a a gore jacket.

soobalias
    Free Member

oooh the RBS is interesting, cheaper too

on the altura, is the yellow or the orange better for visability – now that ive found some in medium in stock…

soobalias
    Free Member

organic355’s review puts the Polaris ahead then, its only downside was not waterproof – but does that matter over 6miles/30mins? probably not.

I have a nice waterproof for real riding.

Pieface

Night vision is good, although I think the Polaris ones that have the contrasting orange are far more eye catching during daylight.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Evo one is more fancy material IIRC – like a less crunchy feeling waterproof material.

Have you got a waterproof already? if so then how about just getting a hiviz vest to go over the top for a couple of quid?

Hi viz link – they do a nice hiviz rucksack cover too

soobalias
    Free Member

plumped for the polaris from cyclesportsuk £25

thanks everyone for your input, STW at its best.

organic355
    Free Member

bugger, Ive decided to sell my night vision evo, as I only use my gore jacket now, any takers?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

OK – to continue this thread on in a slightly different direction – recommendations for a hi viz jacket and/or gilet that’s a good close racey fit?

I’m generally not a fan of hi-viz (how to blend in, wear a hiviz…), but I got caught out on the moors on the road bike the other day in thick fog, and despite having my Flare on the back still felt really vulnerable.

I’m typical roadie build – 5’10”, pigeon chest, arms like matchsticks, and I want something that’s not going to turn into a sail the second there’s more than a gentle breeze.

Mavic Vision stuff looks good, but is kinda spendy…

Thanks!

Jon

igm

Altura Night Vision Evo Vest (note the Evo bit)in yellow

Mesh lycra and very close fitting with stretchiness so it’s not waterproof but the idea is it’s hardly got any thermal properties so you wear it over whatever you were going to wear anyway – over a teeshirt on warm summer nights, over everything you own in January.

A better-for-cycling (and somewhat more expensive) version of a workman’s HiViz vest.

As an alternative a workman’s HiViz vest is cheap and effective provided you can put up with the flapping.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fluoro, Highly Reflective, Waterproof, commuting jacket’ is closed to new replies.