Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flue thermometer
  • diz

Hi does anyone use a flue thermometer, if so which one?

Drac

Yup. Ebay special.

geoffj
    Ambrose

I too use the Stovax as shown above.

Ambrose

I too use the Stovax as shown above.

neilnevill
    Free Member

eBay, cheapest you can find.

One on the flue, one on stove top. Think of them as revs and speed.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

valiant, I think. Anyway, mine goes at the base of the flue so had no issue trying to determine exactly where to put it, it goes at the bottom of the flue, right above the stove.

DrP

So if you’re burning a bit cool, you jsut open the vents a tad to heat it up, right??

DrP

Junkyard
    Free Member

UNless the room is at the temperature you want in which case you are just making it warmer

We don’t recommend the use of flue pipe thermometers on modern wood stoves that have glass doors with airwash (so they stay fairly clear). Your best indication of how the fire is doing is by looking at it.

There are cases in which stove thermometers may be needed. A thermometer is needed to indicate what the fire is doing in old stoves that don’t have glass doors. Manufacturers of catalytic stoves normally use the readings of a surface thermometer to indicate when it is time to engage the catalyst. But other manufacturers of non-catalytic stoves attempt to use flue pipe or surface thermometer readings as part of their operating instructions. From what we hear from users, this is a misguided approach to helping people to use their new stoves properly.

It turns out that there is no correct operating temperature for wood stoves because their output is modulated to provide enough heat for the conditions. So, in cold winter weather the temperature will be higher than in the fall when the heating load is lower.

Also, each new load of wood should be fired wide open until the firebox is full of flame and the wood is charred and the edges are glowing. That will produce a high flue gas temperature. Then you might set the air control back for an extended burn, so the temperature will fall. And, as the wood load is consumed the temperature gradually falls until it is time to reload.

For most of the time a wood stove is operating, its flue gas temperature is either rising or falling. Anyone who says that you should aim for a particular flue gas temperature or even a range in temperature is setting you up for failure because steady-state burning is almost impossible to achieve.

The correspondence we see from visitors to woodheat.org convinces us that thermometers cause more confusion than clarity. People try to make their stove operation conform to the markings on the dial of a cheap thermometer or to the recommendations of someone who really doesn’t know much about wood heating.

http://woodheat.org/thermometers.html

Having had one and a stove one all you see is massive changes that you cannot really do much about as it depends on all sorts – how much fuel is on how wide the vents are, how easy it is to “fire it up” what is the temp inside and outside and various other things when the thing is designed to heat my room and i can tell that anyway.

You are also going to sweep it anyway so not sure what you gain there either.

teasel
    Free Member

Careful. Last time I posted that there was a subtle attempt at ridicule. Folk like gadgets and get pissed off if you tell them it has no practical use.

But you’re a big boy so you’ll be fine… 🙂

allfankledup

They seem to work for a while, then give up the ghost.

Have swapped out to something more high tech… laser guided thermometer

The kids like working out how hot the dog is…

Junkyard
    Free Member

there was a subtle attempt at ridicule

It will go right over my head if its subtle 😉

neilnevill
    Free Member

Wood heat . Org publish some utter balls. None of it is ‘wrong’ but imo a lot of their stuff is overly simple yet written in a way that sounds ‘gospel’. Imo a flue thermometer is just an extra tool that can help you understand what is going on. Woodheat is right, stoves are never steady state, so they can be a bit tricky to understand at times, particularly for new owners, a flue thermometer can help owners understand that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cant say Ive ever needed one.

Burning too cold and the glass soots up, burn too hot and it erm looks too hot.

Now if you want gadgets then get one of these. I havent got one yet but I am tempted.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Get a cheap one, i got a cheap one from http://www.warriorstoves.co.uk/Catalogue/Fireside/Heating-Accessories
    It looks identical to the valiant ecofan costing about 3 times the price that I also have, and feels like it shifts more air.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wot Funkydunc says, maybe they’d be a good gadget for a beginner to get to know their stove.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

. FunkyDunc – Member
    I havent got one yet but I am tempted.

Aldi had them in their specialbuys last Thursday for £25, probably all gone now, but maybe worth a drive up the valley to check, Aldi now in Shipley, Bingley, Keighley, Silsden, Skipton.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/stove-fan/p/072454062316400

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flue thermometer’ is closed to new replies.