Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Flu vaccination: is there a doctor in the house?
  • Amos
    Free Member

Ok had a flu vaccination last week, as recommended by my local surgery as I’m an asthma sufferer, however this last week I have felt like death and now feels as though I’m getting a chest infection. Now my question is could this be a result of the flu vac, with a anti swine additive I’m told, or just a common cold and need to just get on with it or visit the Docs on Monday ? Advice please though I realise the resounding answer will be mtfu! 😉

uplink
    Free Member

The flu vaccination put my brother in bed for a week – so maybe it is that

Amos
    Free Member

That’s what I’m thinking it might be but there’s some shit going round right now

Suggsey
    Free Member

This years made me feel like shite for the week too, ended up using my inhaler more than I would normally and put me off going out on the bike. If your chest is bad it may be that you were already fighting something already. If you are using your blue inhaler daily and your asthma was under control ie you were not using your blue inhaler at all or like once a week then go back to the docs. It means your asthama was not under control anyway, you can also get your chest checked out then as well.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

Hmmm I’m not getting the 2010 influenza vaccine.

Check the link Seasonal Influenza

You have quite a common side effect after having the vaccine, especially if you are an asthma sufferer. I recommend you visit your GP.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

it is reasonable common to get flu like symptoms for a day or two after the vaccination.

It does not protect you from colds however ( manflu) and that sounds like that is what you have.

lipseal
    Free Member

Thought the flu jab was a dead virus and had no relation to getting any symptoms, it was probably one of the great unwashed in the doctors that passed something around. I hate going the doctors/hospital never know what you can catch in them places.

CountZero

We get ours free at work. Fortunately I just get an achey arm for a bit.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You need to ask what type of vaccine it is – attenuated, dormant, parts of the struture or inactive and reduced forms. That way you know what you will expect as side effects.

Would you take a pill without asking what it is???

grantway
    Free Member

Had the Flu vaccine once and put me in bed for Four days
    and felt like Sh@t never been near it since

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Most medical applications are aimed at 33% success rate with the population and any mild side effects are fine…

But sometimes elderly and vulnerable are worth taking the shot than all out influenza which could cause fatalities.

Amos
    Free Member

Should have mentioned, my mum who is an A&E nurse of 40 years (so hard as nails) had a flu vac and it completely wiped her out. I don’t think I have flu but this morning I’ve woken up feeling dreadful and a chest infection is on the cards! Damn you asthma and colds. Really wanted to ride this weekend 🙁

gator
    Free Member

Third year running – had the jab

Third year running – feel cr@p

Will not be having it next year !

forge197
    Free Member

This year was the first year I didn’t feel flu symptoms after the jab, though it stung when injected, and arm bit achy for a couple days.

Last year i had most flu symtoms over a compressed time span felt bad for 24hrs then ok.

meehaja
    Free Member

its weird this, we are constantly told at work, and told to tell patients that the flu jab DOES NOT CAUSE FLU OR FLU SYMPTOMS! Yet every time I’ve had one, I’ve had mild flu symptoms for a few days afterwards. From reading this post, it seems a few other people are too? Is there any evidence based research proving that flu jabs do in fact cause flu like symptoms that i can push up the nose of our occupational health nurse?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I had the Flu jab a few years ago,I had Pneumonia in may and they recommended i had the jab,Felt awful for about 5 days.Headache and aching body,throat felt gooey

jonb
    Free Member

The vaccine surely has to start an immune response which would lead to some unpleasant symptoms.

Could it make you more succeptible to other minor ailments while your body is dealing with the vaccine?

timdrayton
    Free Member

As i understand it, the vaccine has dead virus in it, so it doesnt replicate (get worse, spread etc).

But the bodies immune system recognises it as something to attack , which it does, and therefore you will be protected the next time you are exposed.

Feeling “a bit poorly” is a logical thing, as this is what happens when you fight off a virus….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Flu vaccination: is there a doctor in the house?’ is closed to new replies.