Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • flu- how to kill the bugger?
  • hora
    Free Member

Since friday I’ve been suffering. Earlier on I was shaking/teeth chattering and now I’m bathed in sweat. Tried a steam sauna yesterday.

Help.

Or MTFU?

hels
    Free Member

I haven’t had flu since Uni, but killed one back then with a bottle of vodka that had been in the freezer, combined with fresh squeezed lemon juice.

The lemon juice for the symptoms, the vodka puts you to sleep and you just don’t care. Get drunk enough to sleep it off.

robdob
    Free Member

There is absolutely nothing you can do I’m afraid. You can take stuff that will alleviate the symptoms but otherwise if you have proper flu you’re going to hav to ride it out. And unless you are bedridden and unable to do anything you don’t have flu, just a bad cold.
    I had flu proper 3 weeks ago. Lost 11lbs in 1 week, don’t really remember much of that week. Still trying to recover now.
    If you have a temperature then just take as much paracetamol as the instructions on the box allow. Don’t bother buying any of the expensive cold or flu remedies as their basic ingredient is just paracetamol anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It will last 7 days with treatment, a week without…

prettygreenparrot

@PeterPoddy 😆 I like it.

robdob has it. If it’s a cold then some decongestant (pseudoephedrine) tablets can help you feel less snotty. Otherwise paracetamol & ibuprofen, plenty of fluids and see what happens. I’ve had 3 xmas/new years spoiled by various bugs over the past 5 years. Very pesky. Get well soon.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

If you can still see the screen and / or type, it’s not flu 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

PGP – I’ve had it twice in three years now, last time was Christmas eve till new years day. I have quite a bad fear of needles but I am going to beg on my knees for the flu shot next year as I can’t face having it again.
    I’m on antibiotics now as my throat was pretty bad but it’s getting better now. Should be 100% for the 25th. 🙂

vinnyeh

What robdob says.
    talking with a gp mate in the weekend- he reckons that if he dropped a £50 note in front of a patient, if the patient couldn’t summon the energy to pick the note up, then it might be flu- else it’s just a cold.
    Hora, if you’ve made it into work, I’m afraid you’ve just got a cold. mtfu! 😆

carbon337
    Free Member

Ignore the docs they know nothing

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve heard a saying that if you have a bad cold you will struggle to pick up a £20 you find on the floor. If you have flu then you wont even care it’s there.

EDIT – beaten to it!!

Just to head off the inevitable comments – I understand there will be loads of people who have much worse illnesses than flu this Christmas and I hope they will recover. It’s thinking that it could be much worse that makes the flu easier to live with for me.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, if you’ve made it into work, I’m afraid you’ve just got a cold. mtfu!

Dental pain and colds floor me. Anything else is nothing. I’m even off my booze at the moment 😐

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Hmm, no mention of £20s or MTFUpping here. Between this thread and the unironic use of the word, “wimps,” the other day, it’s like STW has opened up a portal to the worst of the 1980s.

sturmey
    Free Member

It might be your “not yourself” thats all crack on.

kaesae
    Free Member

I feel like shit as well, have a very annoying cough, tightness in my lungs and my head hurts. Infact my entire spine is painful as well as all my muscles.

I’m also very tired, still had it a week so far, so it should start to clear up soon, I felt a lot better until I ran out of red wine and baileys, delivery from asda today, so I will be feeling better soon.

Cheer up hora, you’re not alone matey! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Yes I am ‘not myself’ today. Maybe work will ring mrshora and ask her to collect me 😆

kaesae
    Free Member

You could be spreading it to everyone in work, do you like them ❓

Cougar

I had what I thought was flu last week. Booked fri / mon off work for shopping and a long weekend cos I’d days to use up. Went to bed thurs night thinking “hm, I appear to have a bit of a cough,” woke up friday morning feeling like I’d fallen down the stairs, full-on flu symptoms. Aching all over, sweating cobs one minute and frozen and shaking like a crapping dog the next.

Fortunately, the flu bit was mostly a 48-hour thing. It sodded off and left me with a rotten cold which I’m still getting shut of. So the point of this little monologue of self-pity is, hopefully you shouldn’t be out of commission for too long.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

1 gram paracetamol every 4 to 6 hours, 400 mg ibuprofen every 8 hours, fluids, fluids & more fluids. Sleep & sleep.

Symptom treatment only, not much chance of killing the bugger – that would be cure, and you’d be inline for next years Nobel for medicine.

Agree if someone with “flu” makes it into work, then it isn’t flu. I’m 41 and have had flu twice in that time, both times it took me off my feet for a week on each occasion.

hora
    Free Member

In that case I’ve never had flu (which I find it hard to beleive).

sturmey
    Free Member

“In that case I’ve never had flu” probably true.

hora
    Free Member

Impossible. I’m older than the hills. Mind you, the missus said she can’t remember the last time that I was ill and I’ve been with her 20yrs.

(Famous last words).

Del

i’d highly recommend 1/3 pint OJ, 1/3 tonic water, 1 or 2 shots of cheap whisk(e)y, couple of soluble Vitamin C, and top up the rest of the pint glass with water.
    two or three of those through the course of the day will see you right…

boobs

Apparently if you get flu 3 times in your life you are very unlucky. (radio 4, must be true)

brooess
    Free Member

This is only the 2nd time I’ve had flu in my life. It’s shocking. nothing like a heavy cold. Started last Wednesday afternoon and have been off work since and won’t be going back in till Weds at the earliest…
    Only thing to do is to relieve the symptoms, eat well as you can and sleep….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had a bad cold since Thursday – deep hacking cough, catarrh, breathing difficulty at times, aching everywhere. Feeling much perkier today though, just sniffles and a light cough.

Just blunt the symptoms with pain killers, eat and drink normally, take some fresh air. Rest as much as possible.

hora
    Free Member

I still can’t speak properly. Voice gone.

So no shouting at other drivers “ever thought of taking your driving test” for me 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

you do not have flu

as you have the strength to post on the internet by definition, you have a cold not flu

hora
    Free Member

but that means I have NEVER had flu which is impossible. I can not remember a time that I was bedridden (apart from a stomach bug as child).

rOcKeTdOg

you do not have flu! even you eyeballs would ache if you moved them, you wouldn’t move from bed let alone tap keys on a key board, you do not have flu 😛

hora
    Free Member

Sheesh this cold malarky is a killer. I must have some tropical complication inline with the heavy cold then 😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Agree if someone with “flu” makes it into work, then it isn’t flu. I’m 41 and have had flu twice in that time, both times it took me off my feet for a week on each occasion.

(And all the similar ones)

No, you don’t have Flu, as in influenza. Not even close. Flu will slay you. You won’t eat, move, think or do anything normal. You will ache, shiver, sweat, maybe throw up, be dizzy and every part of you will be affected. It will last for a long time 1wk at least.

In modern terms:

Flu = A cold. Maybe a bad one.
    Chest infection = A cough. (People don’t seem to get coughs any more, it’s always a ‘chest infection’)

freddyg
    Free Member

Sorry Hora, +1 for you not having flu.

I’m 42 and have had flu once, I thought I was going to die.

Quite a few bad colds though. I also go for the drink-yourself-to-sleep method but I use cheap whiskey (Grouse, Bells etc.), save the good stuff until my taste buds return.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘flu- how to kill the bugger?’ is closed to new replies.