Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Flow rims
  • cb

Sorry I know that tubeless has been done to death recently but…

Do I need to drill out the valve holes on Flow rims in order to go tubeless? Or just stick on the yellow tape and start pumping!?

Cheers

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Why would you need to drill out the valve holes?
    Just stick the yellow tape on and stick a stans valve through the hole….sorted.

I've just done mine tonight and boy do they make my tyres wide!!

cb

cheers GP

Just been watching a vid on Notubes website and the bloke suggested that NO rim comes with the correct sized valve opening and he drilled it. Maybe the vid predates the Flow rim, or I just got confused! Will Bontrager tubeless valves work or does it have to be Stans?

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Bonty ones definately won't work cos they don't have a rubber seal as they're designed for the bonty rim strips. A mavic valve might work, never tried though I just bought the stans valves and they work a treat.

I think the only reason to drill them is if you're using car type valves. Which some stans kits have some with.

aw
    Free Member

I had a flat on my tubeless but I think it is because I have had them (and the bike) six months and the fluid may have 'gone off' a bit. The tyres do deflate between rides a little. I rode on at the weekend a fairly flat tyre and lazily rode until it was completely flat only 1 mile from my home. A gave it a pump up and it was sweet again however I noticed a little white fluid on the wheel which I assume had leaked from the tyre.

cb

Thanks mate

Off to bike shop in the morning for a couple of valves!

STATO
    Free Member

With just yellow tape and valve stalks you dont need to drill, with 'Flow rim-strips' your supposed to drill the inner wall to get the strip to sit flat, but IME the rims are wide enough to not bother drilling them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've used valves from old tubes OK. You only need to drill the rim if you are using the rubber strip IIRC.

BadlyWiredDog

I had a flat on my tubeless set-up, the first for about two years, on Saturday above Ladybower. Was scratching my head till I spotted the two-inch nail sticking out of the centre of the tread…

Anyway, been running a set of Flows for about 18 months now, great rims, no need to drill anything. I find running two layers of yellow tape makes it slightly easier to inflate converted tyres btw and second the use of the Stan's valves which work well with the rims.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I use Mavic UST valve with yellow tape because thats what I had in the garage. Work fine.

Had them about 18months too. When they go, I'll get another set no hesitation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Flow rims’ is closed to new replies.