Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • flow or superstar am490 rims
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

there is supposedly no difference in weight,£30 difference.

nealy
    Free Member

Which rim is wider and tubeless ready? Get that one and that’s coming from someone running tubeless on AM-490’s

Northwind

Mate of mine had the AM490s- the wheels fell apart after just a couple of rides on that known gnar-fest Glentress red (and jump section) and I think one lap of Ae. He’d done 2 years on OEM-spec Specialized/DT wheels with no bother. Superstar response- “You’re too gnar for these wheels, for that sort of extreme action you need the downhill rims”.

He now uses Flows and yet he is not too gnar for them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iridebikes
    Free Member

Well, I have the superstar wheels, they’ve stood up to a fair bit of abuse. But I had them retentioned after the 2nd ride as they didn’t seem great from new, they’ve been used for riding dh as well. I’d not bother spending the extra on stans as a couple of my mates seem to have dented them rather to easily.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mate of mine had the AM490s- the wheels fell apart after just a couple of rides

Sounds like a bad build not bad components there

To the OP what are you looking for in the wheels & the question?

Northwind

TBH I think so too- but the SS response was stronger rims required. The replacements have stood up very well mind and actually have done time on a dh bike.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I only run SS switch wheels for a couple of years, one set with AMs and one set with Stans. I’d go for the Stans.

chriswilk
    Free Member

so mixed really. Will be used for a bit of everything from xc to a bit of dh to pulling the tag along.
    I usually build my wheels so not bothered about re-tensioning them

nealy
    Free Member

My AM-490 on switch hubs have been great and well built from new. I’ve bent them both properly twice in big offs and they trued them well for free both times so I’ve had a good experience with their wheels

I think if you’re using them for proper DH then I’d get Pacenti DL31 rims on Tesla hubs if you can afford the extra £60, they’re eyeleted which is an advantage over the flows.

chriswilk
    Free Member

not for proper DH.
    Another option is the pacenti 28, wider than the flow but much lighter.
    Maybe too light and I’ve heard they ding really easily.

nealy
    Free Member

If it’s not proper DH I’d get the TL28, in fact they’re exactly what I’ll be getting for my next wheels. I’ve also read they can ding but I’ve read that about Stans rims too and I’ve read much more good stuff about Pacenti rims than bad.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I use the am490 rims got them built by big al at wheelcraft and they have been solid, use it for everything including jumps and drops.

I had a big over the bars crash with a rock last week and the front wheel was fine, with the force of the impact I was expecting some damage, however they weigh 555g not the stated 499g.
    I have been looking at WTB i23 rims for when I need to replace these ones just as strong as flow ex but lighter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘flow or superstar am490 rims’ is closed to new replies.