• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flow 29er rims help!!!
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

I tend to use this wheelset for commute and off road pursuits, so often i need to change the rubber. Any tips for getting the tyres on easier seems to be i need the strength of Thor. Is this normal because the design of the rim is meant to run tubless, Cheers.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Are you pushing the tyre bead into the grove in the centre of the rim to give you a bit more slack to work with?

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Doing all that,even soap on the bead, dont have this trouble with my Mavic 819 or Hope Enduro rims. Puncture on the trails or commute dont bare thinking about , thanks for your reply.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

What tyres? My Flows are easier to get tyres onto than my 819s…

porkscratching
    Free Member

I just put some new Halo Twin Rails on my Arch Ex rims – involved 2 people, a lot of swearing and a pinched tube puncture. I’ve added a load of sealant to the tubes as I really don’t fancy a road side repair. Hopefully will get easier as the tyres get older.

It’s all very well saying get the bead in the groove, but these are wired with a wide bead it’s very difficult to get it to stay put while you wrestle with it.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Ardents,Nobby nics,Wtb and On one Smorgasbords all an absolute bitch,use a lever and i tend to pinch the tube.

richardthird

Spesh fit (and go up tubeless) a treat on Flows. I’d have thought Smorgs should do too.

Clobber
    Free Member

Ardents,Nobby nics,Wtb and On one Smorgasbords all an absolute bitch,use a lever and i tend to pinch the tube.

involved 2 people, a lot of swearing and a pinched tube puncture

Why would you use tubes on a flow rim?

devs
    Free Member

4 sets of flows here. Never used a lever. You must be doing something wrong.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Tried fitting 2 Intense spikes to flow ex and found same issue.

Applied more liberally fairy liquid and eventually voila!

tomaso
    Free Member

Minion tubeless ready goes on with my Flow 29ers with thumbs easy.

Schwalbe super gravity Magic Mary’s require huge persuasion and even a metal “tyre iron”

Spare cheap wheelset for commuting would help

spectabilis
    Free Member

Are you pushing the tyre bead into the grove in the centre of the rim to give you a bit more slack to work with?

Simply this.
    There is a bit of a knack to it but get the bead in the groove all the way round n it’ll go.

Had a customer return this wheel saying the rim was faulty as 3 bike shops failed at getting the tyre on.
    On receiving the wheel I filmed this below and emailed it him before refunding with a reduction due to the rims being chewed up by heavy duty tyre levers…

[video src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid430.photobucket.com/albums/qq24/edoclaura/Misc/MOV_1661.mp4" /]

br
    Free Member

You’ve already 3 sets of wheels, just buy another (cheaper) set for commuting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flow 29er rims help!!!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts