Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Flora and Fauna question
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Anyone know what this is?

I’ve jumped to the conclusion, based solely on the shape of the leaf that it’s an oak tree?

bigjim

Sycamore

sweepy
    Free Member

Sycamore right enough

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

How much would one of these fetch in a garden centre? Any idea?

it can’t stay here, so it deserves a better home, anyone with s big garden want a tree?

bearnecessities

It’s not going to offer much shelter.

zeffir
    Free Member

Where’s the fauna?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oak? You either have no books or internet access, or have bad eyes 🙂

CountZero

How much would one of these fetch in a garden centre? Any idea?

it can’t stay here, so it deserves a better home, anyone with s big garden want a tree?

I doubt very much if a garden centre would want it, I suggest you carefully dig it up, keeping the tap-root intact, and take it out to an area of woodland and re-plant it. It could easily grow to 35m tall, so not ideal close to a building, although they’re not uncommon in front gardens, or back gardens well away from any buildings. They do give good shade, although they can cause sticky deposits due to aphids feeding on the sap and making a sticky mess. Ants love it, and harvest it.
    http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/learn/british-trees/non-native-trees/sycamore/

bruneep

Ok whilst we are here, what are these?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

If you leave that sycamore where it is, in 30 years time you’ll have a tree in whatever room is behind that wall.

Edit, oh, and that’s ^ cock cabbage

JulianA
    Free Member

I suggest you dig it up and burn it – they’re a weed. They’re known as the Hampshire Weed around here! Horrible things: sorry…

@ Bruneep: I think they’re some kind of Arum.

Sandwich

While you have the fire going stick the sycamore on it too. It’s very invasive and forces out oak and other deciduous trees as it seeds readily. Round here the council have been chopping them down to allow the other trees to thrive.

mulacs

@bruneep Skunk Cabbage
    Can be invasive in wet/marshy soils…

CountZero

While you have the fire going stick the sycamore on it too. It’s very invasive and forces out oak and other deciduous trees as it seeds readily. Round here the council have been chopping them down to allow the other trees to thrive.

Nowhere near as bad as Ash, their saplings are everywhere, they’re as bad as thistles and brambles, far more invasive even than sycamore.

geoffj

@bruneep
    Skunk cabbage indeed – it would be good to report it
    http://www.brc.ac.uk/risc/skunk_cabbage.php

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sycamore doesn’t even burn well. That sapling will be headheight by Autumn… Pull it up now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sycamore doesn’t even burn well.

Nonsense, when well seasoned, sycamore burns very well indeed.

geoffj

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Sycamore doesn’t even burn well.
    Nonsense, when well seasoned, sycamore burns very well indeed.

It’s an excellent firewood. It has nice straight grain that splits easily and it dries quickly.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have an ash sapling growing in our garden. The nearest ash tree is about 100 yards away over a couple of houses. The scuttle drain of the car was full of ash keys. Those buggers do travel well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Flora and Fauna question’ is closed to new replies.