Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Flooring issues, protecting against damp (DIY content)
  • keppoch

Evening all.

I am still in the midst of house rennovations and moving on to floor based issues.

The house has previously had its original floor replaced with a concrete floor at some point under which there is a damp proof membrane. Trouble is that was installed at the same time as some delightful pine panelling (sp?) standing a little way off the rest of the wall that has been ripped out as part of my rennovations.

So after the plastering what I am left with is a little channel between the wall and the end of the floor.

I am planning on getting a engineered wood floor fitted and the fitter I am thinking of using said it would be best to fill this channel prior to a levelling screed all over and then putting down the floor. He will do the levelling and fitting but the infill is up to me.

My concern is guarding against damp as I will be bridging the gap between the wall and the floor and the channel is too small (only up to 5cm wide and 2.5cm deep) to lay another DPM and the other one can only be seen in short sections.

There has never been a damp issue in the eight years of living here but I don’t want to risk one so what can I do to guard against one? I am thinking of some sort of paint on solution prior to infilling with cement. I have identified these:

Cementone Aquaprufe

Marley Liquid damp proof membrane

Synthaprufe

Does anyone have any experience of these and is this the right thing to do?

Here are a couple of picture of the channel to be filled, you can just see the DPM in the second one.

Any advice, experience or words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

keppoch

BearBack
    Free Member

I’m assuming your installing floating engineered?

If so, you’ll be using a 3-in-1 undelayment that has a damp proof course beneath the foam right?

If so, tuck taping all joints and running the underlayment up behind the skirting boards that you will install after will solve your problem I think?

If you want to level the chanel.. just a concrete primer then concrete patch. The undelayment will deal with any moisture issues as well/better as a paint on product.

Presumably you’ve no hydrostatic pressue coming up through the concrete.. assuming tha the DPM is good?
    Aren’t those products you’ve linked exterior grade.. or at least need to be encapsulated?
    I’d wonder about air quality using those inside.

This is from canadian DIY experience. Not a contractor or flooring pro… so there may be plenty of peopel anlong with more appropriate experience of UK construction challenges.

I used SHAW Silent-step ultra underlayment. I’m sure there will be a UK equivalent.

keppoch

Thanks BearBack, good to get some international advice 😀 what you say sounds sensible and particuarly your point about suitability of the paint on solutions for interior use.

I know what I am proposing is probably a bit over the top but caution at this stage will provide comfort later is all I am thinking.

Any thoughts from the UK daytime?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Flooring issues, protecting against damp (DIY content)’ is closed to new replies.