Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flooring advice – Where's Deadly??
  • Tiger6791

Righto, as per previous thread …

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/doing-up-a-welsh-cottage-flooring-options

The flags have been concreted over so wood it is.

There’s a bit of moisture in one corner but not that bad.

Was thinking about using Howdens pre-finished Oak 130 https://www.howdens.com/flooring-collection/howdens-real-wood-flooring/pre-finished-oak-130mm-flooring/

Anybody used this? Anything better?

Ta 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Morning!! 🙂

Am in area with crap signal today. Will try to post later if I remember. If thread disappears off front page, give it a bump later.

In the meantime,

When you say “concreted over”, what depth of concrete or has it just been latexed? (Apologies if stupid question, people often mix up terms.) Is there a DPM? Have you a reliable method for measuring % moisture in your screed?

Tiger6791

Morning!

Its a sub 10mm screed, looks like a self leveling type stuff no DPM as far as I can tell, maybe mainly 3-5mm

No accurate measure of the moisture other than its been under laminate for over 5 years and hadn’t caused any real damage but it noticeable in one corner. But realistic about floor life, property is a weekly rental so floor will get hammered and replaced every few years as it will get hammered. More likely to get destroyed by kids / dogs than damp from underneath (I Think)

Currently foam down

Tiger6791

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d avoid any solid wood product. I can’t work out if that Howdens timber is engineered or solid from the product description. If they’ve just self-levelled over flags, and you’ve no DPM or way to measure moisture, then looks like you’ll have to float. 15mm is fine, but 20mm will lie flatter under its own weight. Use a 1000ga DPM (screwfix sell in 4x15m rolls) and good quality dense foam 3mm-ish underlay.

Anything else you need to know, just ask on the thread.

Tiger6791

Cheers

The Howdens is 14mm Engineered

Any recommendations for an alternative supplier?

Tiger6791

Double post

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re looking for 14mm engineered that you’ll be replacing every few years, then there are plenty of Internet suppliers. Google is your friend. Can recommend Timbermate as an underlay.

boxelder

I’m getting engineered 14mm T&G oak finished boards from poshflooring. £21.50/m². How much is the Bowden’s stuff?. Glueing ours onto concrete and floorboards. Deadly – 1kg glue per m²?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How much is that Howdens stuff mer metre sq? I hate their business model, “Trade Only” so dodgy tradesmen can’t be found to be earning a mark up by their punters.

That flooring looks pretty cheap, character grade with big lumps of filler in the knots.
    This place has ranges from cheap to dead posh!

http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYrIUOt7yNI_hr-Dvfvf8u50Sm_acp-YZzBsVTbu9DRgRoCV7bw_wcB

great service too.

jim25

Why is it “dodgy” for tradesmen to put a percentage on the material cost????
    All other shops and business’ do it.
    Is my spare time not worth as much as yours?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why is it “dodgy” for tradesmen to put a percentage on the material cost????
    All other shops and business’ do it.
    Is my spare time not worth as much as yours?

Re-read my post. Where have I said a mark up is dodgy?
    Some punters can’t understand it and believe all savings should be passed direct to them, and anyone who does mark stuff up is dodgy…

What’s with all the question marks?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@boxelder, which adhesive are you using?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flooring advice – Where's Deadly??’ is closed to new replies.