Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Floods of Shiney Pound coins.
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve noticed (Southampton area) a vast [1] number of really shiney pound coins about with dates going back a couple of years, so not newly released.

Has someone bought a coin polishing machine in the area?

Is someone flooding the market with fakes?

Anyone know?

[1] …and I mean vast. For about two weeks my random change has usually had one or two brand new pound coins in it. That’s a pretty high ratio.

bruneep

Fake coins?

too shiney

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shiney? From Shirly, surly?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Unlikely to be newly released by the Mint, as there’s a new pound coin design due for issue in March. Could well be fakes – I’d check them out with the info in bruneep’s link.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The one in my wallet at the moment has poor defined milled edge and varying text depth there so some signs of being fake.

Is it really possible that maybe 20pc of local coins are faked? It seems immense.

I don’t think I’m getting them all from the same source.

monkeyboyjc

Wouldn’t be surprised if they were fake – I’ve heard that 1 coin in 20 is now fake, but it’s probably more. Hence the design change of the £1coin.

sands
    Free Member

outofbreath – Member
    Floods of Shiney Pound coins.

Too much polish?

Oh wait… #brexit

iffoverload
    Free Member

whats wrong with minting your own, its all fake anyway..

andytherocketeer

probably flooding the market with as many fakes as they can get away with, whilst they still can.
    the new thrupence bit is probably a right pig to fake.

devash
    Free Member

We get given loads of fake ones at work (North Yorkshire). We even get them in the change bags direct from the bank. I think this is one of the reasons why there is a new £1 coming into circulation soon.

chewkw
    Free Member

I noticed that too as I was given some shinny new Pound coins by the supermarket few weeks ago. However, when I tried to use it again on their machines not one accepted it. It’s practically new but the weight was not very right and the feel was a bit different nevertheless it looked like “genuine”.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Floods of Shiney Pound coins.’ is closed to new replies.