Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flooded Talas – fixable or Mojo?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Mojo say service, my pocket says garage. My Dad can fix a lot of things so I’m tempted (I’ll be at his next month). Any suggestions?

stumpyjon

Depends if yo need to strip the left hand Talas leg. You need an IFP tool to recharge the negative chamber and the Talas setup can be a pain to get right. There are good photo guides on the Fox site if you can find them.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I already have the instructions, my thinking is I can’t break it any more than I already have. Or is there anything else that I can do to get Talas work?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    adstick
    Free Member

You need the IFP tool I’m afraid. They’re more expensive that a Mojo service. Plus talas servicing, unlike other Fox bits, are pretty tricky to service if you haven’t seen one before…

adstick
    Free Member

Also, do you adjust the fork height? If not you might consider converting it to a float, which isn’t that expensive or difficult to do at home, if you (or your dad) is a reasonable mechanic.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I like the idea of the Talas working and a while back there was talk about using a track pump and a football pump needle instead of IFP – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wtd-fox-talas-ifp-tool-1
    Adstick, just in case, how do I go about it? My Dad can surely do it, I can drink beer and critisize only, I’m afraid.

Hairychested
    Free Member

bomberman, yhm

adstick
    Free Member

Have a look on the Fox website for the step by step guide, it’s way to involved to explain on here… What’s actually wrong with them? Usually talas problems mean a bust o-ring, there’s loads so it’s normally easier to change the lot rather than trying to identify the dodgy one.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I posted it to Mojo for the service, they said Talas was flooded a bit so the fork doesn’t adjust (I knew it wasn’t working but didn’t know why and thought a service would rectify it). They quoted me almost £200 but also said I need new uppers and new lowers. I decided then to ride’em till they die and see what to do next there and then. Mojo sent the fork back to me unfixed.

will…
    Free Member

Talas. one of those things that makes no sense whichever way you look at it. far too complicated to really work out what does what,how and why. plus the benefit of swapping to float internals means diy servicing is possible, and the fork WILL feel better with a larger air chamber 🙂

W.

adstick
    Free Member

So the bushes, seals and stanchions are shot? They’re fecked anyway, you can’t break them any more! 🙂

stumpyjon

Talas, complicated maybe, but when they work excellent forks. If you need new uppers and lowers it sounds like the fork is pretty f**ked. However £ 200 is a lot cheaper than new forks. If they’re that karked I’d either let MOJO sort them or put the £ 200 towards some new forks. Out of interest did MOJO charge you for looking at them?

I’ve read about the football inflater bodge, wasn’t prepared to risk knackering a £ 600 pair of forks though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

TFTuned charge 99 quid for the service incl. talas recharge. Mojo were talking 90 quid service, 75 talas, 180 lowers (130-150 at TFT) and 250 uppers. In my opinion thr uppers look fine, lowers – I can't x-ray them but no cracks, bushes – need new (will do myself), probably enduro ones, that leaves me with the blooming talas.
    I might just leave it if too difficult, ride it for a while, send it to TFTuned for service and next year get something else.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The best fix I can think of here is a set of Revelations…..

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sorry Mate, my Heckler wants Fox (or was it the 456 SE?).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. Everyone wants an expensive fork that packs up every 5 minutes, don't they?

😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

What a sceptic!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flooded Talas – fixable or Mojo?’ is closed to new replies.