Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Flooded our neighbour's house…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

During yesterday’s heavy rain, our roof leaked, loads of water got in, went sideways and has damaged our neighbour’s walls, carpets etc. I’ve arranged to have the roof repaired today (only £100) but am now wondering where we stand with the internal damage?

Don’t think our insurance would cover damage to someone else’s property but not sure. Better just to cough the cash or should they claim it on their insurance?

martinhutch

Your insurance should cover it. Talk to them.

the-muffin-man

Phone your insurance company, this is what they are there for.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Phone your insurance company, this is what they are there for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they say as you have liability cover as part of it and it should pay out

user-removed
    Free Member

Fair dos, ta. I’ve asked the neighbour to get a quote – if it’s not crazy, we might just pony up the cash ourselves rather than make a claim.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Similar thing happened to a friend (smoke from fire next door damaged their house) and I think they had to claim on their own insurance first then their insurance company claimed it back from the neighbours insurance.

pjt201
    Free Member

user-removed – Member
    Fair dos, ta. I’ve asked the neighbour to get a quote – if it’s not crazy, we might just pony up the cash ourselves rather than make a claim.

there’s no benefit to not making a claim. House insurance doesn’t work like car insurance as there’s not a relationship between claims and the likelihood of making further claims (ie. your premium shouldn’t go up because you made a claim, in the same way that there’s not a no claims bonus)

nixie

there’s no benefit to not making a claim. House insurance doesn’t work like car insurance as there’s not a relationship between claims and the likelihood of making further claims (ie. your premium shouldn’t go up because you made a claim, in the same way that there’s not a no claims bonus)

Been a while since you did a home insurance quote? Everyone I’ve done since we own a house (7 years) has asked for claims history and our premium did go up after a claim.

teef
    Free Member

Might be worth doing this before contacting the insurance company as I seem to remember reading somewhere that even inquiring about a potential claim can lead to an increase in your premium. Apparently even considering making a claim makes you a higher risk.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/30/insurance-query-higher-premiums

philjunior
    Free Member

Been a while since you did a home insurance quote? Everyone I’ve done since we own a house (7 years) has asked for claims history and our premium did go up after a claim.

From speaking to someone who works in insurance, making claims certainly does increase your risk. To the point that some people with a number of small claims have huge bills. Only use it if you have to.

dbcooper
    Free Member

philjunior is right in my experience too.
    1) We called about a stolen bike, the gits didn’t pay up, but is still on our “record” as a claim and affects the premium.
    2) Mobile phone claim – 230 for a new screen, certain insurers refused to quote because of it.

br
    Free Member

Also your neighbour will probably appreciate a speedy fix/cash as opposed to waiting for insurance assessors etc.

In fact, if it was me (been self-employed) I’d want to bill your insurance for any time I had to spend on the ‘claim’, ie if I had to be at home for a visit etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had two claims on my contents policy. One for a personal possession and one a lap top. Made sod all difference and still with same insurer.

dbcooper
    Free Member

FAir enough but when I went to renew the other day I looked at the efeect of adding and taking away the non paid bike claim and it was about 40 quid differnence, the mobile claim was more like 100 quid difference.

gonefishin
    Free Member

In fact, if it was me (been self-employed) I’d want to bill your insurance for any time I had to spend on the ‘claim’, ie if I had to be at home for a visit etc.

Consequential losses are seldom covered by insurance, you’d have to take your neighbour to court with no guarantee of success.

molgrips
    Free Member

your premium shouldn’t go up because you made a claim

It does. There’s even a note on my renewal telling me that it will.

spooky_b329

If you stay with an insurer some will allow the occasional claim without affecting premium, however if you are changing insurer it is bound to make a difference. Just by being someone who has queried a claim, you are a higher risk as you will probably consider claiming the next time you have a small loss.

I consider my insurance as cover against being cleaned out in a big burglary or the house burning down, not for a new carpet when some red wine goes over or a replacement telly when it gets knocked over…guy at work claims about once every three years when he fancies a new carpet and I bet he’s paying more in premiums that the carpet cost…but he thinks he’s getting one over on them…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Flooded our neighbour's house…’ is closed to new replies.