Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Floating rotors
  • ratherbeintobago

Thinking about getting some Hope floating rotors. Am I going to notice any power difference while mincing XC with my 160m X2s or do they just look nicer?

Andy

bruneep

Worth it for the “ting ping” alone.

andyl
    Free Member

I can’t see how they will give you any extra power.

ratherbeintobago

I can’t see how they will give you any extra power.

Thought they were meant to cool better meaning less fade. And probably less of a smell of cooked pads after the run down into Hebden…

Andy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are fading brakes with overheating them on a UK descent you are doing well.

Anyway they don’t cool better – what happens is is that they don’t warp if overheated as the braking track that gets hot can expand away fro the spider

You want more heat resistance then bigger discs – but heat is good for disc brakes up to a point – and that point is hundreds of degrees C. The smell of cooked pads is good as well.

Are you really getting heat induced fade? Or are you getting boiling fluid? try new brake fluid

andyl
    Free Member

they can’t cool better as the mechanical interface to the inner spider will have lots of thermal resistance compared to a direct path. Although admittedly aluminium is a MUCH better conductor hence the Ice Tech rotor design.

They should just be more resistant to warp and be more tolerable of a slight caliper misalignment.

As above with fluid – first sign of trouble – check pads and replace fluid.

Still need more power consider different pads and/or larger discs which will also cope better with heat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Floating rotors’ is closed to new replies.