Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Floating or non-floating rotors
  • younggeoff

if there’s marginal difference in weight what benefits have one type over the other.

I know floating ones look nice and tarty 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Floaters go “ting!” when cooling down.

englishlion
    Free Member

Supposed to be better heat dissipation from floating I believe.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve never noticed any practical difference. But they look nice.

grum
    Free Member

They just look nice – no need to try and justify it any other way imo 🙂

bruneep

Floaters go “ting!” when cooling down.

for that reason alone 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Agree with the above. Meant to be lighter plus better heat dissipation but everyone knows that in reality it’s because of the bling. That’s why I bought them

simon1975

There’s more to go wrong with floating rotors – I’ve had two Hope 160’s go decidedly wobbly at the rivets, and a third ripped apart when I hit it on a rock (not that a normal rotor would have survived that, but it might have been straightenable).

younggeoff

only asking as can’t run floating disks with king hub on fox post mount forks so it’s rebuild the front wheel or use solid disks 😥

Ewan
    Free Member

Why couldn’t you running floating discs? Surely if they have a standard 6 bolt mount you can run them on anything.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its not that the floaters have better heat dissipation – they don’t – its that they will not warp when very hot as the floating bit allows them to expand

Ewan
    Free Member

Doesn’t the alu centre have a greater heat capacity and greater thermal conductivity than Steel? That should in theory deliever a benefit…

That said i’ve not factored in the weight difference of the alu vs the steel so there either a) may be nothing in it b) be unmeasurable in practice.

A floating rotor should be lighter tho shouldn’t it?

Northwind

Mine didn’t have any performance benefit, but were a wee bit heavier than standard steel (everyone thinks they’re light, but not really the case with Hope) and they didn’t fit well in my calipers. Well rid of them tbh.

stumpy01

I think some calipers clip floating rotors (the rivets), so just be aware of that & check for clearance issues.

gee
    Free Member

Hi

I have a hope floating 160mm rotor on a king hub with a fox post mount 29er fork.

No problem.

They can clip certain callipers – obviously not Hope ones though.

GB

Dibbs
    Free Member

Doesn’t the alu centre have a greater heat capacity and greater thermal conductivity than Steel? That should in theory deliever a benefit…

The alu may well transfer heat better, but the rivets would probably cancel out any gains.

compositepro
    Free Member

Aluminium rotors

thepodge
    Free Member

who’s doing aluminium? kinda makes sense

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aluminium is a rubbish material for getting good braking so needs some sort of surface coating – making it expensive and short lived

compositepro
    Free Member

Aluminium is the material it can be done with ti also and carbon

aracer
    Free Member

The alu may well transfer heat better, but the rivets would probably cancel out any gains.

More than – the heat transfer across those will be awful due to the discontinuities.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Floating or non-floating rotors’ is closed to new replies.