Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Flights to Singapore
  • crankboy
    Free Member

We need to fly to Singapore next Easter and are trying to chose between Swissair Finnair or Emirates , Emirates are pricy both Swissair and Finnair have less than inspiring feedback particularly in relation to missed connection. Does any one have any experience or tips that will help us choose ? We includes a 5 year old crankbrat .

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Why are you limiting your choice to those airlines ?

mrmoofo

Just come back from Singapore (on Friday). Flew with Emirates because it was cheaper (but it was business). On cheaper flights check the stop over / transfer times.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I do that route three or four times a year. As with mrmoofo, my flights are paid for by work, but budget is still an issue.

Recently, I’ve taken to flying to Singapore via HKG. Partly for work reasons as I also spend time in HKG on trips, but also because Cathay Pacific are excellent value for money, with great service. Also, if you are doing a transfer, going through HKG is a breeze. Great airport. Cathay also serve the best drink in the skies, the Oriental Breeze. Sour plum tea with cranberry juice and honey. Droooool.

If I was just going to SIN, my preference would always be a direct flight, perhaps even more so with a kid in tow. It lessens the overall disruption, and potential for things to go wrong. So, BA or Singapore would be the pick.

If budget is a primary concern, Finnair are very good overall. OK, so there’s the ballache of the connecting flights, but good planes, good crew.

But, and I go back to an earlier point, I’d prefer direct if I was going to SIN only.

Changi is a great airport. Huge amounts of space, so it rarely feels rushed or bothered. Security is at the gate, so bear that in mind for stuff like drinking water, etc, as you’ll have to chuck that on the way through.

Now, that aside, you’ll also need to know a few more things……
    Eating! Be sure to try at least some of these.

Din Tai Fung. Xiao Long Bao until you burst!
    Long Beach at Dempsey. Maybe heresy, but I prefer the black pepper crab to the chilli crab.
    Maxwell Hawker. Tian Tian Chicken Rice. Or, look for the stall with the longest queue of local people. Go there. Also, be sure to try out the pressed sugar cane drink. Look for the place that’s got a mangle-like affair on the front, squeezing cane and putting remains in a big bin bag. Best SGD you’ll spend!
    Keisuke Gyoza King, in Tanjong Pagar (My fave part of Singapore!) It’s cash only, and a really simple menu, but simple stuff done to perfection.

Kryton57

How the other half live… 🙄 *looks longingly at the XO, 11 days and counting*

nickjb
    Free Member

Only done it twice but direct with BA for us. It’s long enough without having to change planes too. All went smoothly. Price was ok compared to others.

mrmoofo

As CFH says, direct is much better …. but it is more expensive, but saves on a load of hassle. And Singapore Airlines are lovely ….

Chicken Rice … dull as dish water. Boiled chicken, some sauces, luke warm soup, and rice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dull if it’s done badly! Tian Tian are good!

Also, a bit out of the way, but Sin Heng for really good claypot chicken. Especially since my fave place near International Plaza has shut. 🙁

As above, though, direct is better. SG and BA are both good with kids as well, BA especially so when I’ve flown with my daughter. Have yet to go with the two of them, but suspect that time will come soon!

LeeW

I know a few people who prefer direct flights but I prefer Emirates with a stop over in Dubai. Enjoy a good stretch and walk around. And I Emirates go from BHX where Singapore go from Manchester and Heathrow. Bit of a ball ache for me.

Have done Etihad and Qatar too, both good airlines.

nickdavies

Emirates of those three, unless it’s a lot more expensive then either of the other 2, budget travel is all pretty similar with service and risks of baggage cock up etc, yeah they all get negative reviews but there’s a lot lot more happy customers, people only complain when it’s gone wrong. I’d pick the airline with the best flight times to suit personally, and a decent connection time. You might lose your bags for a day but it’s not very likely.

Air Singapore if possible though. Can’t recommend BA economy any more, I just flew in this morning from HKG and the service is shocking – done that flight with pretty much all the carriers and BA hands down the worst. I still fly BA out of preference as their timing is good but I’m definitely thinking of going back to emirates and not going direct next time. I might even go air Singapore via SIN.

br
    Free Member

I know a few people who prefer direct flights but I prefer Emirates with a stop over in Dubai.

The only reason to not use a direct flight is if you’ve time to waste and/or a limited budget – I can’t imagine why anyone would want to visit MORE airports…

Or maybe it’s because for many years I was taking +50 flights a year that I distinctly hate flying and airports.

And does Singapore Airlines still have it’s separate 1st class departures terminal in Singapore? 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I would prefer to fly from a convenient airport even if it means flying indirect. Heathrow is the worst airport in the world and If you transit through Dubai or Qatar the connecting flight are so frequently you’re not hanging around the airport for more than an hour or so by the time you’ve walked between the gates. It’s a welcome break compared to an uninterrupted 13 hour slog in a cramped space. The direct flights are usually fuller whereas going via the ME, especially with Qatar Airways, you sometimes have an empty seat or two next to you if you avoid the peak travel times.

Also theigndirect flights tend to be cheaper – I can usually get a business class seat cheaper than a Premium economy (work pays) but they’re probably a bit more competitive on economy seats.

Giallograle

Downside of the Gulf airlines is a break in the middle of a long journey. If you can sleep on a plane then you’ll arrive fresher after a long single leg.

I’m not a fan of Emirates in economy; I find it cramped and functional. Etihad are better, Qatar is very good. I like Swiss, haven’t tried Finnair. BA are efficient and do a good job, but may be a little more expensive.

Cheapest flights to Asia are usually Bangkok. You could get a budget flight BKK-SIN with some time in BKK.

Are you stopping in Singapore?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Heathrow is the worst airport in the world

No. It really, really isn’t!

If you’ve been to Charles de Gaulle, or O’Hare*, then you have been to the worst. Until then….

*My next destination. Urgh.

crankygirl
    Free Member

(Mrs Crankboy here)
    Thanks chaps, some useful thoughts there. We’re off there visiting family, and confined to Easter school holidays, so prices seem to have shot up for all but the cheaper end. Emirates, Etihad etc are definitely out of range, Singapore airlines sadly too (I travelled with them years ago, nicest flight ever…). Was looking at options via Hong Kong too, as a little stopover at the end of the trip would work nicely, but Cathay are coming in as pricey, BA are ok but I had an awful flight with them on that route that I can’t forgive them for.
    The Swiss flights are suspiciously cheap, but seem to involve either a too short or stupidly long transfer time. Finnair might be the best bet then. *Sigh* Can’t stop thinking of Singapore airlines…
    Oh and thanks for the food tips CFH 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ve done Singapore 7 times in the last year. Every time with BA, but only as the flight times facilitate doing it as a long weekend trip. Service is nonexistent. Still waiting for them to resolve spilling dinner on my shorts.
    Practically impossible to talk to anyone. I’d fly with anyone else given the choice.
    Singapore Zam Zam on Arab street is tasty. Tippling Club good for special occasions (although preferred the Dempsey location). If you’re there on a Sunday, Equinox Swiss Hotel free flow brunch is great food and great views.

Giallograle

Bkk then

crankygirl
    Free Member

Thanks Giallograle, will look into bkk flights, hadn’t tried that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Service is nonexistent.
    Practically impossible to talk to anyone

My experience of BA is very, very different to yours. Have used them for more flights than I care to think about over the last ten years, service has been on a par with, or better than, others (Delta and American, I’m looking at you!) and have rarely had a problem that wasn’t resolved immediately, nor have I had problems in talking to customer services. Their Twitter account is very well manned normally, by the way.

Crankygirl, once you’re booked up, do post back and let us know where you’re staying. Am sure I/we will be able to recommend some good places near your hotel, as well as other stuff to fit your plans!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Have a play about on google flights and see what comes up.

Giallograle

Bkk food tip… Err rustic Thai

Singapore mid,upmarket Ginger or PS Cafe Dempsey Road

Local; Malay food, Maxwell Road food court, breakfast at Amoy Street Food Centre

Singaporeans are foodies and your friends will know where’s good.

Try Ice Kacaing

TheFlyingOx

As a side note, Changi airport is phenomenal. You could almost (almost) justify flying to Singapore just for the airport.

FWIW, I flew in and out of Singapore a few times in 2012/2013 for about £500 return, with Air France/KLM. KLM were the better of the two, purely because they didn’t route through Charles de Gaulle. The Flying Blue Club (AF/KLM frequent flyers) gets you free food and booze at Changi, so whoever you fly with sign up for their frequent flyers club.

pomona
    Free Member

Have done the route with Singapore, Lufthansa and Swiss in the last year.

Singapore were great. Best economy cabin I’ve seen.

Lufthansa had OK service onboard but made a mess of my booking in other ways.

Swiss was not so pleasant. Very little padding on the seats, it was a 13+ hour overnight flight but I had to get up every 1 or 2 just to get some feeling back into my legs. Food was fine and IFE was OK, just the seats that spoiled it.
    If they were super cheap I would use them again, I’d just make sure I took a cushion with me.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The reason I say Heathrow is the worst airport in the world is because its so busy and conjested flights never take off on time or land on time. Often after a long flight i’ll approach LHR about 30 minutes ahead of schedule, then by the time we’ve been held we’ll land anywhere upto 30 to 45 minutes behind schedule and sometimes have to queue for a free gate. Then i’ve got to battle my way through the airport and up the M1 to get home.

If I fly into Birmingham the flight always lands on time and i’m sat at home on my sofa within an hour from touching down on the runway if i’ve only got carry on. That is worth going indirect on its own in my book.

stewartc
    Free Member

The reason I say Heathrow is the worst airport in the world

None of your people used to fly out of the old Mumbai airport then?

Used to use Finnair a lot many years ago, found them to give great service though as other have said, sometimes its worth spending a little more money and just fly direct to avoid the faff.
    Main problem I always have with connecting flights is that risk factor of not leaving enough time between flights to cover any late departure and being stuck at an airport waiting for the next flight.
    As someone who spent most of last year living and working in Singapore and goes there regularly still, having friends and relatives there would be for me the only reason to go, terrible for mountain biking:)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of those I would choose Emirates

used to live in Singapore and always flew Sing on the 380 whether in business or paying for my own ticket in Economy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depending on where you are Manchester airport via the train is fairly stress free

fourbanger
    Free Member

My experience of BA is very, very different to yours.

My experience was cabin crew dumping dinner on my lap. Some 20 calls and 5 emails later and they’ve offered me a fraction of the replacement value of my (now ruined) shorts. Doesn’t get me new shorts. The minor burn I dealt with myself as no one seemed to have a clue.

Paid £1400 for my last weekend jaunt so it’s a bit insulting when they don’t have the staff to return an email within 2 months, or answer a phone.

atlaz
    Free Member

Singapore airlines or Lufthansa for my trips to Singapore in the last couple of years (mostly because they fly from Frankfurt) but I’ve had no issue with either

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The airlines are not the issue – they’re all great airlines to fly with. For the the biggest PITA about air travel is not necessarily the bit where you’re on the plane, it’s the getting too the plane and off it and back home, hence my comments about LHR. As an airport in terms of buildings, shops etc, there is nothing wrong with LHR, its the getting to it, getting through it and getting held up and delayed in the extremely contested skies around it. Forget a 3rd runway for LHR, what about a 4th too while we’re at it.

LeeW

All the PS Cafes are pretty good, there’s one right next to Orchard towers which I’d go to regularly. Think good pub grub with amazing cakes for desert. There’s also a great wine bar on Cuppage, a really good selection of wines which tend to be quite a lot cheaper than anywhere else. Food isn’t bad either.

If you like Indian food I think Muthu’s is better than Anjappar imo.

I can echo CFHs recommendations for Din Tai Fung, the one at the bottom of ION mall is great but gets really busy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

crank if you want some ideas nearer the time on Sing pop back or search threads (best using google eg site:singletrackworld.com Singapore).

If you have junior in tow you may be more interested in air conditioned activites ! Night zoo is fun, ethnic neighbourhoods China Town, Arab Street, Little India madness, East Coast Park (various food outlets, mana mana beach club – offically members only but no checks when I was there), new botanic gardens are air con, sentosa and universal studios ? Esplande waterfront for night skyline and Pepper Crab at No Signboard or Pizaa at Bar Rosa. Bukit Temah nature reserve for the monkeys and less buildings !

scuttler

Be aware Singapore Airlines flights from Manchester stop in Munich to pick up beer and pork products. Same plane, same seat but probably a couple of hours over a truly direct flight due to the time taken to land, taxi, unload, load, taxi and take off. I think it happens both ways too.

Emirates/Etihad probably best in terms of the number of flights and therefore the improved tolerance for missed connections if you’re going from not-Heathrow.

Fundamentally though for a ~14 hour flight you need to determine whether you can manage a straight through (my kids would) or whether you need a break and if so, a short+long leg (Europe transfer) or equal legs (UAE transfer).

crankboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses and tips . helps clarify our thinking . on one level getting the opportunity to go to Singapore is good enough to put up with any flight but with the boy in tow reducing cost and stress are also important.

tonyd

I’m with Flashy on BA as an option. I went to Singapore a few months ago (economy), they have a 380 on that route which I came back on – very nice too. Much more room, possibly the nicest long haul flight I’ve been on. Didn’t look at other airlines though (work trip) so can’t help on price comparisons.

Edit: Chile crab!

Xylene
    Free Member

Go Aeroflot, great services, cheap, and great excess luggage fees.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Flights to Singapore’ is closed to new replies.