Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Flights to NZ with a bike – Any knowledge?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Looking at flights to NZ for a friend and myself in Feb – March and finding it hard to work out who’s best for sports luggage… any recommendations of said route/routes appreciated.. I don’t mind flying from any UK airport or dog legging via another country or 2…

hels
    Free Member

Air New Zealand, every time. Not always the cheapest but the most direct and efficient, and can check bikes all the way through to end city.

Make sure you clean it very very very well ! New tires helps.

alexxx
    Free Member

Will check them out thanks – is the sports luggage just included with their offerings?

Also where do you think is best to start the NZ trip?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexxx
    Free Member

Also… Air Nz is about £1600 each sadly.. I’d like it under £1k each – not really fussed on travel time

NZCol

Emirates and Virgin/Air NZ both excellent.

alexxx
    Free Member

Emirates apparently want a crazy amount of money for sports luggage though – have you travelled with a bike on them? they were my first hope!

m0rk
    Free Member

Virgin didn’t used to charge for sports equipment, but were bloody dear (code sharing with Air NZ) to get to Auckland when I looked.

We’ve flown Singapore before now (excellent airline, and pretty good pricing normally) – so might offset the sports equipment prices with lower fares.

You’ll have to shop about I suspect

tonyplym
    Free Member

Last time I flew Emirates the bike went as part of the standard baggage allowance (which was around 30kg). There were some size limits too but a bagged bike was well inside these.

alexxx
    Free Member

Them being Emirates I take it?

I’ll check singapore airlines as I’ve not seem them on any comparison sites yet and I’ve travelled with them a fair bit in my youth and they were very friendly

NZCol

Sorry yes I have travelled extensively to and from NZ with bikes. Man. Thing is staying in one carrier if you can, Emirates used to not care inside the luggage allowance and we’re happy with >23kg bike bags. I’ve never had a problem with airnz ever, always happy to waive a couple of kg over. Basically the days of free sports stuff are long gone.

alexxx
    Free Member

Cheers Col – appreciated

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not found anyone doing sports luggage on that type of route. Virgin/Singapore/Etihad have just about the same across the board and even as a FF I couldn’t buy more luggage on the flights.

Short haul the 23kg bag is the measure, long haul it’s nothing above 32kg but got to be within your weight limit.

The only ways to get more are to get up the FF chain (not possible unless your fly a lot) or move up a cabin class, Premium Economy was a boost on luggage.

After that air freight is probably cheaper for a 32kg box than those options.

As for where to start depends entirely on what you plan to do, as for routes take a look at Singapore/AirNZ who were doing flights from SE Asia into Auckland rather than the stop in Sydney for a couple of hours

mikeyp

I’ve brought bikes to and fro from NZ a few times most with Emirates.
    Emirates. Bike bag just counts as hold luggage and the weight limit is generous. They’ve never stopped me taking the Michael with hold luggage either. You may well not make a 75min transfer at Dubai. Don’t remember any issues with Etihad.
    I’m going with Singapore Airlines in Feb as its only 2 flights from Manchester to Christchurch and the Dubai transfers are now very short. I’ve never checked a bike in with them.
    Air NZ are great with sports equipment long haul. I’ve had some funny business on domestic with bikes as some planes are pretty small.
    I always try to avoid LHR it means getting a shuttle and LHR at the end of a very long flight.
    I paid £1150 with Singapore.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm emirates stung me for excess last time u used them (3kg was nearly 100 quid)
    We got bikes bumped on the last domestic flight in nz as it was a full 14 seater… You will get the flight number and plane when your picking the flight anything dash 8 and bigger will be fine.
    http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/oversized-items
    The bike needs to be part of the allowance but stepping up to premium economy doubles your allowance.

arogers
    Free Member

I’ve also had issues with Air NZ domestic flights. We ended up with a layover in Auckland, meaning we couldn’t check our bags straight through. We called their customer service line to buy more weight and specifically asked about the 23kg limit and bikes. We were told there would be no problem. When we went to check in they initially refused to take the bike at all and quibbled about our cases being a few kg over limit. Eventually, after speaking to managers etc about having called the helpline (they checked their records on this, basically calling us liars in the process), they allowed the bike but made us unpack our cases and put our clothes in a plastic bag, which we had to pay for as an extra case. This bag then burst open in transit.

Possibly an isolated incident but I’m pretty wary after that episode..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They have been very picky with weight distribution and bag limits but also if you were over you were over. I’ve seen it happen a lot with airlines down in this neck of the woods.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Singapore airlines. Used them and very happy. They have a 32kg luggage allowance plus 7kg for cabin. Bike bag with extras was about 25kg the rest in the cabin with me. Done

petefromearth

I’m true stw style I won’t answer your question but I will give you a tedious story about my own trip

In 2006 I went to NZ to do a cycle tour. Can’t remember who I traveled with (hence this being no use to you) however I do remember having a fairly strict weight limit and the bike just counting as hold luggage. So I couldn’t take anything else other than my hand luggage.

It was an a to b road trip, so I had a use a cardboard bike box, which I’d stuffed with various non bike items to even out the weight.

Outbound I did a transfer at Hong Kong. By the time it got to NZ the box had been ripped in half and looked like it had sat outside in the rain.

My advice: avoid Hong Kong. And use lots of pipe lagging and gaffa tape.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Flew with Air NZ via LAX. Approx 40 kg allowance per person in 2009. 30 hours in total to the south island with a refuel and a small plane to travel from N to S island.

Price: I forget but dear. However compared to hassle with other airlines later on it was totally worth it.

alexxx
    Free Member

Hey guys – thanks for the information – I was inspired to hunt further this morning and it’s paid off!

Quantas flights (Heathrow sadly) but direct to Melbourne then Christchurch with only 1-2 hours transfer time and the same on the way back for £690 all in.. Looks like Quantas allow 32kg luggage and 7kg hand luggage + a laptop so we should be all good since we’re taking the trail bikes.

Next step is finding a suitable van on tradme to buy for the 6 weeks then sell!

Does anyone have any van buying / selling experiences?

Pete – thanks for the story – I’ll be sure to tape the hell out of the box now

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds good, it will be the A380 vid Dubai then (QF1?) you should be good through Melbourne too and not have to do immigration (otherwise 2hrs is not quite enough) and your bags will be checked through. Usual rules go on making sure you have a spotless bike (under the saddle and inside the steerer tube etc) new rubber on for ease of getting through.

Also as you got such a good deal 😉 there is a bit of a loophole where these guys have a Qantas Club (lounge) corporate membership
    http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/airport-lounges/need-find-qantas-club-corp-9333-16.html
    It gets you a discounted membership which will give you lounge access in LHR/DXB/MEL and Christchurch and extra luggage
    http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en#international-flights-excluding-north-and-south-america

alexxx
    Free Member

It doesn’t say it goes via Dubai actually – maybe they don’t list it always if it’s just for refuelling? it says LDN – MEL – NZ *QF10 and QF9 are the airbus numbers

Can you get to Melbourne in a oner from London in an a380 (that’s what it is) I’m happy with that as I went on one last year from Cape Town and they are much comfier than the 7’s.

I bought the tickets via Skyscanner so I’d assumed they had enough contingency with the changeovers? Or have I just booked a risky flight? 2h25m on the way there and 1h25m on the way back for the changeover times

I’m looking at flight insurance ect now… where can I get that?

*EDIT also if I read it right it sounds like the frequent flyer loop might be closed now as they aren’t taking temporary members?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It will be a refuelling stop in DXB, whats the flight numbers ( just bang them into google)
    Can’t see one via Melb on the Qantas site but if it’s a full booking (IE one ticket) it’s not your problem though always make sure you have travel insurance.
    It will have to stop it’s about 23hrs flying time so they will land and refuel somewhere. Melb is a nice small international airport, about 30 mins max from any gate
    http://melbourneairport.com.au/docs/141103-t2-and-t3-departures-level-1-v2-copy-1.pdf

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah could be on the FF, I let mine slip as I’m flying Virgin/AirNZ these days.

alexxx
    Free Member

Legend thanks Mike – good knowledge! any recommendations on who provides the best travel insurance?

And you’re right Dubai for fuelling!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been back up north a couple of times recently and have a watch on for good deals – you got one!!

No idea on travel insurance but if I remember right Qantas are hot on the signing away the bike at check in so make sure it’s covered on some away from home cover.
    also bit random but if you are turning up planning to buy a van try this lot
    https://www.drivenow.com.au/onewayrentals.jspc#/relocations/NZ
    might get you going cheap for one stop

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks I had spotted that 1 way van rental site – my friend actually lives in Christchurch so hoping he can pickup a van for me before I get there and help with selling it afterwards if timing is tight.

My bikes with Pedalcover and I think it’s covered but I’m going to fire them an email to check.

Can’t believe how cheap we are travelling around the world!

A crazy world we live in

smashit
    Free Member

alexxx – Member
    Next step is finding a suitable van on tradme to buy for the 6 weeks then sell!
    Does anyone have any van buying / selling experiences?

Not exactly what you asked for but some friends run this…
    https://www.shareacamper.co.nz/en-nz/
    It’s like AirBnB for campervans…

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen that – I’m hoping buying a van will only end up costing us 500 or so over the time once it’s sold ect

Thanks for the link though – worth a share

stuc
    Free Member

Few years since I went but I went the ‘wrong way’ and went via Los Angeles and pretty sure it was Air New Zealand. This meant flying straight through with just a 2 hour stop in LA but for some reason you got significantly more baggage allowance and the bike I’m sure could be part of that allowance.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sounds the same as I did.

LAX really is an armpit though 😀

stuc
    Free Member

Agreed on the LAX bit. I was glad to get back on the plane for the next 12+ hours!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Luggage allowances are getting tighter even via the US these days
    http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/checked-in-baggage
    To get the bigger US allowances (if they exist) you have to start or end your journey in the US, transit through doesn’t count. And for that there is no reason to go anywhere near lax

NZCol

The new StarAlliance lounge in LA is quite nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So if hear, I had access to the first class part until virgin and delta swapped the flight over…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Flights to NZ with a bike – Any knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.