• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nach.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Flights – best place to look?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I’ve had to look for a flight only, here’s the best website/place to look these days? Lots come up on google but I don’t want to keep repeating the same info on different websites, so is there a good one that finds all the best deals?

Looking for flights to Oz if that makes any difference – is it worth going directly to airline websites?

Thanks 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats your priorities?
    Looking at the other way around at the moment.
    Best deals I’m finding is Etihad (via Virgin Aus) Regional to Abu Dhabi and then Qantas/BA/Emirates via Dubai.

Direct booking, decent turn arounds etc. come a bit above price for me (luggage just got a bit more generous on the first one I think.)

Where you flying to?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Skyscanner I’ve found to be good recently, as you can check prices across whole months easily. Got a good deal via BA last year through their sale, so sometimes the airline sites are good. Not flying with BA again though, for a long flight like that I’d go with a better airline.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also check the actual operator as code share will mean different carriers

danradyr1
    Free Member

Another vote for skyscanner

5lab

skyscanner, google flight search and holidaypirates (if your dates are flexible) is what I use

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Quick check also, my dad pointed me at a few of these new sites bringing deals together, some of the flights through them were not on code sharing airlines so it would mean checking in more than once and not being assured connections.

Also avoid anything with Jetstar at this end it’s the crap end of budget (and really avoid Tiger)

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks all. Going from Heathrow to Sydney, ideally want a day stopover but not sure where, Singapore maybe, depends on what comes up in any deals really. Had a quick look on BA and not much change from £2k, looking at early December to end of December which I guess will be an expensive time anyway.

jamesmio
    Free Member

This is easy – Google Flights is the easiest and best way to search for and find flight details I’ve ever seen.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any reason for the day? Looking last week and Singapore Airlines wanted the same SIN>LHR as I was getting Tassie to Manchester for, if your looking at stopovers try an actual travel agent, they have access to all the same stuff and better options combining faires – our work one does much better on stuff like that.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Gotogate is an alternative to skyscanner. Not sure how they compare on price/service though…

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Only reason to have a day somewhere is to break up the flight, not sure I could stand such a long one in one go. The next question was going to be about arranging a day somewhere – a quick look on skyscanner and some flights have a stop of an hour or so before getting on another flight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, find it 50/50 on stopping, boss swears by it I prefer to get it done and deal with it here. Folks did most of it with one of the better ones, we use Corporate Flight centre here in OZ and they can sort stops etc. quite well.

Singapore is 14 from UK, then 7 to here
    Middle east is 7 from UK and 14 to here
    Singapore is where I’d prefer to have an evening

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I flew to Beijing last year which seemed to take forever and I was going nuts by the end, I find it difficult to sleep on flights, a good airline/seat will probably make more of a difference on a long flight if we do it all in one go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CX via HKG would be my stopover choice. Quick train to Central, couple of days of ace food, nice flights either way.

Andy_B

Cathay are a bit unpredictable on whether they will offer a stopover.

The fact that you want a stopover opens up some of the bad connection options from the less popular routes.

I’d check expedia and kayak as well as the others mentioned. Also worth setting your dates up in the hopper app.

sargey

Try go compare as they now compare flights,got my flights to the states this year £100 cheaper than b airways for the same flight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

flights,got my flights to the states this year £100 cheaper than b airways for the same flight.

Who did you end up flying with?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Finnair? More connections, but meant to be good value.

sargey

British airways from lhr same flight number.

nach
    Free Member

Momondo was recommended to me by a friend who’s spent the last four years travelling.

It’s good for making a lot of comparisons quickly, but sometimes it’ll bounce you to a third party seller and it’s best to then go direct to the airline if you’re likely to need anything changed later.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Leave end November for cheaper. Flying back on NYD is also a money saver

plyphon
    Free Member

If you’re going to Aus, I;d recommend going into your local STA travel.

When we did Heathrow to Melbourne, they were by far the cheapest. Much cheaper than anything the internet could throw up.

Bare in mind two things:

You don’t get to choose your operator (we were on a 777 from KL ITL about 2 days before MH370!!)
    You have to physically go to a store and talk to someone for the best deals.

That said, their website has some deals also.

porter_jamie

skyscanner

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Momondo was recommended to me by a friend who’s spent the last four years travelling.

It’s good for making a lot of comparisons quickly, but sometimes it’ll bounce you to a third party seller and it’s best to then go direct to the airline if you’re likely to need anything changed later.

POSTED 21 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    That lot were offering non linked flights be very aware they are not selling the tickets, got bounced twice just looking at it. Some very dubious connections (and non guarantee if something goes wrong)
    Offered me flights for airlines not in the same alliance so just check. For long haul you need to be on one ticket.

BigJohn

Vietnam Airlines fly direct from Heathrow to Saigon or Hanoi and direct from Saigon to Sydney. Nice fast quiet trip in a 787 and if you’ve never been to Hanoi, go now before the 20th (yes, 20th) century catches up with it.

nach
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

That lot were offering non linked flights be very aware they are not selling the tickets

Yeah, I’ve mainly just used it for hopping around the EU, and always go direct to the airline after checking with it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Flights – best place to look?’ is closed to new replies.