Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Flight Mode…!!
  • zokes
    Free Member

Don’t worry, you were late with your pedant, but you win the prize for the most patronizing and condescending delivery.

Patronising, ta. 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

The Oxford English dictionary uses patronizing

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bloody dreadful decision. Just got off flight from jburg and flights around southern Africa. The idea of having to listen to people jabbering on their phones is a nightmare. Upper deck will no longer be the haven of piece. It was bad enough with the face timers and skypers in the airport lounge.

In the past, it has been the obnoxious (insecure) folk who compete to be the first to make the call as you disembark. Yes, Mr Sad, you are SOOOO important as is your “deal”. BTW, how is your Mum!!!!!

If it was that dangerous would people really be allowed to self police turning their phones off???

I asked a garage a while back about why phones were not allowed when filling petrol. The answer was not the hi tech one I expected. It was if you dropped it, it migh cause a spark that could cause ignition.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’m told by a man in the know (pilot) that the reason for phones going off/flight mode is that the irritating noise they produce when searching/receiving signal can be heard by the pilots through their headsets. And that’s the extent of the problem.

peterfile
    Free Member

I asked a garage a while back about why phones were not allowed when filling petrol. The answer was not the hi tech one I expected. It was if you dropped it, it migh cause a spark that could cause ignition.

Presumably that’s why you’re not allowed to have car keys in a garage forecourt either? 🙂

GrahamS

A couple of years ago I was publicly told off, over the tannoy system, for using my phone whilst I was sat in the passenger seat of the car. 😯

hot_fiat

I’m told by a man in the know (pilot) that the reason for phones going off/flight mode is that the irritating noise they produce when searching/receiving signal can be heard by the pilots through their headsets. And that’s the extent of the problem

^^this^^

The fact that the phone is likely to be quite distant from the nearest cell exacerbates the problem as it’ll try and connect with greater and greater power. Aircraft which allow use of mobiles have their own local cell that advertises itself as your provider. It’s obviously the strongest signal in the area so the phone sits there quite happily & will only re-poll in very low power mode, keeping interference to a minimum.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For airlines, like Emirates and Etihad that are now allowing it, they’re not just lifting restrictions, they’ve installed specific kit on the aircraft. A mobile phone searches for an antenna signal. The further away the antenna the stronger the searching signal that emits from the phone is. The kit installed on Emirates and Etihad planes puts antenna’s on board the aircraft so they are very close to the phones and as such the strength of the signal outputed from the phone is very weak and so causes less/no interference. And in anycase they still request/demand you turn your phone off or onto flight mode during take-off and landing as this system is switched off during those phases of flight. On aircraft where the Aeromobile kit isn’t installed then normal rules apply.

And also in the event of an emergency they want the full attention of the passengers rather than passengers trying to complete the next level of Candy Crush before they evacuate the aircraft.

I just wish they’d ban them outright.

TooTall
    Free Member

However, why do they make me turn off my kindle for take off and landing? You can’t actually turn off a Kindle anyway…

Perhaps they don’t have the time to bother checking each individual electronic device each smug passenger is carrying for compliance? Perhaps their attentions are rather focused upon your safety at that time and most people can cope for 10 minutes without their electronic devices.

In the likes of hospitals, a lot of electronic equipment is older than mobile phone technology. As such, it wasn’t tested for such interference. Much like a lot of aircraft. Just accept that your personal tech is newer than their tech and might cause problems so they play it safe and have a happy byproduct of reducing in-flight, phone-based violence.

zokes
    Free Member

The Oxford English dictionary uses patronizing

So it does! I sit corrected. 😳

avdave2

I fly a lot and this is my message for everyone who’s flying with me.

If you were half as important as you think you are they’d be coming to you! So shut up sit down and do what the **** you’re asked.
    🙂

tonyg2003

You have been able to use all electrical devices on US flights (phones in safe mode) for getting on for two months. You just have to stow bulky items (laptop etc…) for take off and landing. I can’t remember exactly when it was changed but I was on an internal US flight and remember it being announced. You have been able to use wireless once planes reach cruising for ages too. I have posted to STW before on a plane, no escape from the dreaded emails.

zokes
    Free Member

So shut up sit down and do what the **** you’re asked.

Depends what they’re asking. If it’s to pay attention to how to get off in a hurry, when I was on the same plane 6 hours earlier, and this is the fourth time I’ve been on a Qantas 737 this week, I’ll just collapse and go to sleep, ta.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cbmotorsport + 1

Was flying yesterday and accidentally left my work phone on in my flight bag. Made a hell of a racket through the intercom which was chuffing irritating. Was too busy/hands full to turn it off!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Intercom systems are not shielded from outside electromagnetic interference to the same stringent standards as the aircraft systems that are required to be shielded from things like lightning strikes, EMP and general outside levels of electromagnetic radiation. I don’t particularly believe that modern mobile phones cause interference to aircraft systems, and suspect the rules are there due to a very risk averse industry and are not backed up by any real evidence, more like lack of proof that phone don’t cause problems rather that they do. Early gen mobile phones might have been a problem and that might be the source of the worries and concerns. And like I said before, The likes of Emirates have only been able to relax rules due to the introduction of specific kit. I quite often forget to turn my phone off on a plane though not intentional, I do try to observe rules out of politeness and respect if nothing else. It’s like the myth about not using your phone while filling your car up with petrol due to a supposed risk of the phone being an ignition source and causing a fire. That myth has been proved to be complete b’locks, but petrol stations still enforce it. But I believe it was in the news recently that the European Airworthiness bodies were currently reviewing rules on mobile phone usage, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are relaxed soon. Though I still think they will demand phones and devices are turned off for take-off and landing. They need your full attention in the event of an emergency.

legend
    Free Member

2. when you are at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic there is no way you are getting a signal anyway.

Prepare to be dissapointed, and note the date.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Following on re phones, this really does fill me with dread. There are enough tossers on airplanes without the loud mobile merchants. Why people feel they need to show off on planes never fails to amaze and amuse me.

Ten years ago, I was travelling to India to pitch for a deal with an Indian Fin Institution. Its was in the days before the separation of seats in club. Another banker came in and sat down next to me. He saw me reading Thomas a Kempis’ Imitation of Christ and assumed that I was a theologian of some kind. Turns out he was going to make the same pitch (but after us) and decided to show off by making it v obvious that he was a banker (wow) and pitching for a deal (double wow). So he gets out his pitch book and moves it deliberately into my view. I keep reading Kempis but amused him by pretending to be impressed by his wonderful document. This carries on for the whole of his book and he must have been so happy that Vicar (sic) in 12A was so interested and impresssed by his masterpiece. Next morning, as we were leaving the plane I said, good luck with the pitch, you after me and I am going to use that great idea on slide 12, oh and there’s a typo on page 34 that’s pretty embarrassing. His face dropped. Turns out he was in same hotel and we shared a beer and a laugh about it in the evening after all the pitches. Not a tosser after all, especially as he gave me such a good idea to use before him!!!!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

And also in the event of an emergency they want the full attention of the passengers rather than passengers trying to complete the next level of Candy Crush before they evacuate the aircraft.

Been told by friends who are cabin crew that this is the real reason for it rather than any interference with instruments.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Err youve been allowe d to use phones on flight mode for years.

The new part is now you can use them on take off and landing.

This will crush classic car land rover mag sales as the only time i read them is during take off and landing of planes.

I was looking round the plane today thinking ” yes thats exactly what steve jobs had in mind for his flagship tablet…… Candy crush saga on a plane ” at least 4 folk

If i see another flight safety video start to eat my own shoes. 6 this week so far and 12 this month- if i can make it to 4.30 tomorrow im off the radar till jan 6th and work can calll my desk drawer all they want

Flaperon

According to Airbus absolutely no chance of a phone interfering with the fly by wire systems or data network on board the aircraft. There is, however, a small probability that a phone or similar device can interfere with the glide slope signal from an ILS, which is why the previous advice is to switch them off for take-off and landing.

I would be very surprised if BA allowed devices to stay on during low visibility operations.

molgrips
    Free Member

I, for one, am dreading the day when I hear* some jumped up asshat in seat 62B yelling

Hah, when are you ever anywhere near row 62 Flashy you posh git 🙂

Re the interference, I’ve never known a phone interfere with any audio wires more than about a foot away…?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mol you are just giving away your lack of experience of BA club class!

62 is one of the better seats on upper deck, I was on it last night 😉

avdave2

62 is upstairs on a 747 peasant – none of you rif raf near you up there. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where as i was 59 in the cheap seats 🙁 on 747 today 🙁 lucky i had the only empty seat downstars next to me so other than the garbage food and the stingy drink service ( compared to coach on emirates or the help your self bar on air france to most west africa destinations) it was tollerable. Slept most of the way

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol yes indeed I am poor, never been in business class or even upstairs on a jumbo. It’s a lifetime ambition in fact!

Come to think of it, I have only been on a jumbo once.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Molly, 62a or 62k is my usual long haul perch!

62a here. Think that was en route to Vegas.

Mind you, 4a on a 777 on the way home from Sydney was rather lovely

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Flashy, you take pictures of plane seats!!!! Were you a train spotter in your youth?!? 😉

legend
    Free Member

photos are a dead giveaway that somehow a pleb’s managed to get into the nicer sections.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

Kryton57

Eh? When i was upstairs with Virgin in July it was all leather. Thank god I didn’t go BA.

molgrips
    Free Member

I read ‘upstairs with A virgin’.

It’s a much more interesting post that way.

legend
    Free Member

nobody likes a leathery virgin though

Kryton57

Although a virgin in leather….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kryton57

I’d never go less than premium economy again.

legend
    Free Member

I had to use Flybe the other week 😳 felt dirty being beside so many commoners

zokes
    Free Member

*wonders how many posters actually fly business, as opposed to imagine that they fly business*

Kryton57

I’m going business to SA next February. Never been business before, what’s it like*

*bearing mind I have about 15 mins to experience all that it has before the Tamazipan kicks in.

TooTall
    Free Member

Flying a lot is the new rep mileage. I’m amazed at the mileage some people do and most of them wouldn’t add value to a mob never mind anything else.

jam-bo

*wonders how many posters actually fly business, as opposed to imagine that they fly business*

Used to when I worked the civil service, thems were the rules. Anything over 4hrs at my pay grade was compulsory business class.

Now I work in the private sector I can only dream of business. World traveller plus is as classy as I get if it’s not a lot more cash. However, I’m all over speedy boarding and the front row on easy jet.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Flight Mode…!!’ is closed to new replies.