Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Flight delay compensation – a thank you.
  • Bazz

Back in October(ish) there was a thread on here about flight compensation and a link to the Money saving expert website wich has a form that lets you send an officially worded e mail to the airline that you had delays with.

I filled this out with regards to a 6 hour delay me and my family had back in 2013 returning from a holiday in Turkey, and despite being initially rebuked back in 2013 by the airline/holiday operator we today received a cheque in the post for £1150.

So thank you to which ever person posted that link from my family, we will now be putting the money towards taking our children to Thailand in 2017 to broaden their cultural horizons.

bearnecessities

Bear Fury likes this.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes !

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Feel good post of the day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

* hits the Like button.

ferrals
    Free Member

hits the dislike button, what happened to hid money from wife, spent on new frame, coke and hookers???

Thailand-shmiland indeed.

lunge

Err, any chance of reposting the link please?

SaxonRider

Fantastic news. And good for the airline, too, for acting honourably.

Speeder

Sounds great – would my changed landing airport and subsequent £100 taxi ride a few years ago count? Got rebuffed by Easyjet at the time.

zigzag69
    Free Member

lunge – Member

Err, any chance of reposting the link please?
    Is it these guys? http://www.resolver.co.uk/

Just submitted a claim myself, so yes, another like from me.

Bazz

That is indeed the one ^^^.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Resolver – just done one to Experian today.

jimdubleyou

This is the MSE link to rights etc:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Not seen that resolver link before that looks very useful.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP great holiday idea btw, lots of good advice on here re: Thailand if you wish and avoid the tourist fleshpots.

mrchrispy

Cheers Baz for posting this 3 weeks ago.
    5 hour delay back in 2011, double checked flight details on flightstats, dug out flight itinerary emails and filled in a couple of forms.
    Email this morning confirming that I’m soon to be 1200 quid better off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wow how much were the flights?

mrchrispy

300-400 quid if I remember right
    The compensation is based on EU regulation EC261/2004 and in our case was 400euro per tickets, it was a pretty hefty delay and not fun with 2 young kids.

yeeeah for the EU 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So 6hr delay on 1200 tickets gets you virtually a full refund. Damm well. Done but seems excessive, 6 hrs isn’t that bad really (it’s your problem you had kids with you)

DrJ

Yaay!!! STW victim-blaming is alive and well !!

bearnecessities

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mike post a positive spin on anything!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously 6hrs delay it’s just part of travel… Best I got was a couple of lounge passes for a 6am flight it leaving to 11…

mrchrispy

no…got me wrong, the flights were 300-400 quid in total

\o/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well honestly ffs you didn’t deserve more than you paid

mattbee

Why not start a petition or something then Mike, you miserable bastard.

mrchrispy

lol – you’ll be really miffed when I tell you we went home for a few hours, it was an outbound flight and a taix back was 15quid, came back later and sailed through passport control….only had to wait about an hour. Muhahahahaha

hammyuk
    Free Member

FFS Mike – 6hrs in an airport with toddlers is hell.
    Ever thought that perhaps the compensation is decided on the reasons behind the delay?
    Coupled with the persons travelling the amount is set out in EU law.
    Inconvenience, onwards travel, loss, etc – not just the original cost.
    How about sodding off with your mondayitis somewhere else and not coming back until you have that Friday feeling…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FFS Mike – 6hrs in an airport with toddlers is hell.
    Ever thought that perhaps the compensation is decided on the reasons behind the delay

It’s not the airlines fault you brought kids…
    I’ve been delayed and trying an attempt to claim for lost earnings is impossible, the meeting might have resulted in a 100k contract is that the airlines fault, you won’t ever get that one. I spend a lot of time in airports delays just happen, deal with it like traffic on the m6 think I lost 9 hrs on there one day cost the company more than 1200 quid so who’s fault and who pays?

mattbee

So you’re saying that people shouldn’t claim for compensation because you have been inconvenienced in the past and haven’t been able to claim?
    Bitter much?

superstar1
    Free Member

Great, just watch flight prices go through the roof because of grasping greed.

I think if the plane had a technical I would rather be delayed while they fix the bugger rather than they risk it and drop out of the sky from 30,000 feet.

jamiep
    Free Member

Lol, this is thread is still short but keeps giving

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So you’re saying that people shouldn’t claim for compensation because you have been inconvenienced in the past and haven’t been able to claim?

Not at all, but 4x the cost of the ticket? Sounds very excessive

spooky_b329

Perhaps if the airlines had been more customer orientated and settled the claim/complaint at the time, both parties would have been happy perhaps a 20% refund and would not need to use the link above.

But no doubt they managed to attribute the delays to specific circumstances that mean they do not need to entertain any claim at the time.

If the refunds are significantly above the ticket price/taxi expenditure, how are they calculating the refund?

Coyote
    Free Member

Agree with Spooky 100%. Too many travel providers are not at all customer orientated.

dantsw13

Commensurate compensation – fair enough. £1k on tickets worth £400 for a 6 HR delay is ludicrous. I shall await a thread about the awful hike in holiday/flight prices.

I’ve just had a delivery company fail to deliver in their 3 HR slot 5 times – finally got it on the 6th go. That’s a 2 week delay, and 18 hrs waiting. How much should I get (paid £15.99 for delivery)

AndyRT
    Free Member

Oh dear deity I don’t believe in! mikewsmith is right.

Refund the full flight cost would have been fair compensation. Otherwise we will suffer more stickers on our world and spoke reflectors and naff bells on handlebars.

We do not live in the US of A where most everyday actions could apparently leave you being sued.

Let’s take responsibility for our actions and not view stupidity, mistakes or weather as potential gravy trains.

It’s down to legislation like this that makes land owners take down trails and limit access. Let’s take a stand for doing what’s right, not what we profit from most ( in the short term)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Were the delays with kids in term time*?

*throws more petrol on fire

teethgrinder

[lentil knitting font]No one should get anything – all these flights are spewing out carbon dioxide and destroying the universe[\lentil knitting font]

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Cheers just submitted mine for a 6 hour delay in April 2010, will see what happens with this before I submit another one for the return flight when we were delayed by 10 days!! (Ash Cloud Victims)

falkirk-mark

I am sure the claims only get paid out for delays that are something the airline can do something about. Natural things like weather and ash clouds are not within the airlines remit.(I think airline firms were cancelling planes at the last minute that were half empty and giving the passenger some BS story)

v8ninety

Refund the full flight cost would have been fair compensation.

Or even just a percentage of said flight costs, at the time of asking, yes. I can totally see the justification of punitive compensation being applied to carriers who cynically manipulate the rules to wriggle out of paying anything at all though. If they had have given a ‘50% off your next booking with us’ voucher at the time, likely the OP wouldn’t have had the desire to pursue a financial settlement. Their poor customer service has cost them dear on this occasion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Flight delay compensation – a thank you.’ is closed to new replies.