Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flexible Cable Outers – Thomson Dropper Content
  • elliott-20
    Free Member

I need to replace the outer on my Thomson dropper but I am having trouble finding out what they use.

Both their cable and outer appears way more flexible than the standard gear and outer cable (a la Shimano) and Thomson no longer hold anything at their main headquarters – they couldn’t even tell me which brand they use.

Goodridge is also too stiff so does anyone have any ideas what it could be or which brand is flexible enough?

Kahurangi

Without knowing the particulars of the Thompson dropper post, yhy would the cables need to be particularly flexible? So long as you can bend the cable to suit your frame routing, then use any stuff you have.

martinhutch

If anything, the outer on my Thomson feels stiffer than a standard gear cable outer – and the inner doesn’t feel any different.

The only difference is that it seems slightly fatter, so those cable ends they provide might not be snug enough.

elliott-20
    Free Member

The cable mounts to the top of the post not the base so moves with the actuation of the post. Thomson spec a super flexy cable to, I imagine, reduce the amount of tension and possible resistance. TBH I was nearly wondering if anyone knew of anything before I go a grab a load of cable and discover it’s not right.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Thanks Martin, that’s interesting. Mine is definitely more flexible, I wonder if they changed it? Mine is one of the first batch.

stevied
    Free Member

I replaced my outer with SP41 without any issues in the operation of the post. I may have some of the Thomson stuff at home if you really want that..

drop me an email and I’ll have a look later if you’re interested: steve_dees at hotmail.com

Northwind

I just use shimano- not on a thomson but on a KS, same deal really. It’s a wee bit stiff and has too much “memory”, it’s hard to make it bend where you want. But it does work.

martinhutch

Thanks Martin, that’s interesting. Mine is definitely more flexible, I wonder if they changed it? Mine is one of the first batch.

You’ve got me doubting myself now. I’ll have to nip out to the garage and check.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flexible Cable Outers – Thomson Dropper Content’ is closed to new replies.