Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flats virgin – recommend me a set up to try it out
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Been riding clipped in forever. Fancy trying flats

What would pople reommend as a realtively cheap set up to try it out

Five Ten Freeriders and DMR V8’s

or something else?

slowboydickie

Shimano AM41 & superstar pedals

ceepers

Superstar nanos are better than v8s

Stiff had free riders at 40 odd quid a couple of weeks ago. They are grippier than am41s but let more water in and are colder.

Am41s are good shoes

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

The thing with going to flats from SPDs is you’ve got to go all in. If you go half arsed, you are going to feel insecure and will not stick with it. You’ve got to give it a few months to get really confident with them, although I took to it quite quickly and rode my first flats alps trip within about 8 weeks.
    The biggest problem I had was foot placement, I’d find I was concentrating more on my feet not being quite straight on the pedals than where I was going, that’s passed now.

I rode toe-clips, then moved to SPDs in 2002ish. I moved to flats last May and have not looked back. It’s been great fun and I’m now more in tune with the bike, plus I’m sure I would have had some nasty offs if I hadn’t been able to dab instantly on a few occasions.
    I went with Five Ten Freerider shoes as I read they had the best grip. They haven’t disapointed.
    I read DMR vaults were the best pedals, so went with those when there was a deal on at Cycle Surgery.
    They have a great big platform and the pins give loads of grip.

Some people say they don’t like the Freeriders as they have too much grip and they can’t move their feed but coming from an SPD background I felt this was a good thing.

Freeriders are crap for winter as they act like sponges, I’ve got a pair of Shimano AM7s for cold, wet rides. They work really well but don’t have the same level of grip. I’ll be going back to my freeriders should the trails dry out.

All the best with your venture, hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.

bearnecessities

Five tens and vaults from ubky – best combo IMO, plus you can sell them for minimal losses if you don’t get on with them.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cheers IvorHogseye

Just thought it was time to give it a go

Sometimes feeling like i cant unclip just that second quick enough

Was hoping riding unclipped might give me a bit more confidence to go even faster

Going over the bars clipped isnt fun

scc999

Superstar El Palstique’s are cheap and work well.
    If you can find some 5:10s going cheap online then they are hard to beat IMO.
    Alternatively, skate shoes will give you grip but not as much support….

HTH

Si

EDIT: If you’re UK8 or 7.5 then try here: http://www.needlesports.com/33521/products/5-10-freerider-brick-red.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAiAiZK1BRD509nPsYiUk2YSJAAMoAwCMzKuFl1Z9NZC6y23wijKqwbJSt2aEh5KybMLEGRKQBoCSLvw_wcB

ceepers

I’ve ridden vaults, nanos, and v8s

Vaults are definitely the best but I have a pair of nanos on the hardtail and they are really good pedals and almost half the price I had v8s for a long time. They’re fine but the others are better

egb81
    Free Member

You can get Freeriders that are pretty waterproof if you search around. Mine came from bike-discount.de and are both pretty warm and don’t let much water in.

nwill1
    Free Member

It’s strange I’ve ridden Flats all my life and the freedom to eject fromthe bike at any time gives me the confidence to try things I probably shouldn’t, I’d be scared to try anything clipped in!

Anyway, yeah Five Tens (take your pick) and as for pedals, Vaults without question! I’ve ridden a fair few pedals, I have saints on the FS and like them, had V12’s, like them. I’d read and heard so much about Vaults, I just thought whatever, I tried the Nanos and didn’t like them at all, I then brought a bike complete with the vaults on…on my they’re just so right!

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Another vote for Five Tens as in terms of comfort and grip on the pedal they’re really excellent, though they are cold – recently got the Elements version that are meant to add warmth but they’re no better. egb81 – which ones have you got that are warm?

As for pedals here’s a review of three budget options for what it’s worth:

Pedal Power

mikekay
    Free Member

another for fiveten and vaults, impacts are my favourite shoe and ive used plenty of different pedals and there aren’t many that are so bad i wouldn’t use them again.
    other wise ivorhogseye summed it up well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flats virgin – recommend me a set up to try it out’ is closed to new replies.