Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Flats to clipless
  • samuelr
    Free Member

Flats to clipless any one done it and regretted it?
    Need new shoes as my 5:10 are looking good for the bin.
    Looking around there doesn’t seem to be much choice for a water resistant all season mtb shoe. There is a lot more choice for clipless. I don’t want to buy a pair plus pedals to regret it then have to spend another stupid amount for flat shoes as its an expensive mistake.

Any recomendations for a good water resistant flat shoe?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve dabbled with clips but can’t get on with them any more. The bog thing that I noticed was the lack of feel amd I hated the float when cornering and dropping the outside foot.

I’ve found the new 5 10 Impacts to be lots better than my usual freeriders in the wet.

martinhutch

Any recomendations for a good water resistant flat shoe?

Currently wearing these. Pretty good value, waterproof*, needed some of the sole ‘lugs’ trimmed off with a Stanley knife blade to make an area which meshes with the pedal pins. More of a winter-type boot than a classic 5.10 flat shoe, obviously.

https://www.needlesports.com/53874/products/5-10-camp-four-gtx-black-red.aspx

*except for the big hole where your foot goes in.

I tried clipless a year or so ago, didn’t get along with it. Even with a lot of float in the shoe I wanted to move my feet around more. Plus clipping in was a PITA on steep stuff (although It would have got better over time, I’m sure).

whitestone
    Free Member

I switch between SPD and flats fairly regularly. The HT currently has flats and I use a pair of Salomon walking boots with them. The sole has harder rubber than 5.10 flats so they don’t grip quite as well but they don’t take a week to dry out – overnight in the airing cupboard will do it.

shermer75
    Free Member

The debate rages on! It takes a bit of falling off when you stop before you get used to them, but I would say the majority if riders prefer them once they do. Advantages are feeling very secure in the pedals and apparently ypur pedalling becomes much more efficient.

I always liked them but found that they can sometimes give me painful knees!

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve been on clipless for about 15 years and can’t see myself changing ..the transition period though was a nightmare and I took a right strop after my first ride…vowing never to ride again.
    I like the “security” of being clipped in and unclipping now takes nano seconds / is second nature..the advantage for me is the lack of width / pedal strikes on moorland skinny singletrack .
    The part hardest to master at first is unclipping when climbing as you are about to stall ..and forgetting that you are clipped in resulting in a fall to the side ..
    If you can get a cheap pair of shoes to start with and some second hand pedals ..before splashing the cash ..
    I would also recommend time ( atac ) pedals as easier to get in and out of ..
    Good luck..

davosaurusrex

I switch between them as and when I feel like a change. Was on flats for a couple of years and then went back to clipless last spring. Back on flats twatting around doing crap jumps in the skatepark last night. I’m a very average rider and don’t find a problem swapping between them once you have a bit of time on both.

FOG

Another vote for both. I have spds on the HT and flats on the FS on the principle that the HT will get used for the longer less technical rides and the FS for steeper and more scary stuff where I want my foot out instantly.
    As far as waterproofish flat shoes goes, I have the 5.10 impacts which are better than older designs but I always wear waterproof socks if it looks very wet. Totally waterproof footwear of any sort, except perhaps, wellies is a pipe dream while we are stuck with the contradiction of having to get your foot in.

richmtb

I switch between them too.

I don’t think either is “better” but they are better at different things. SPDs are great for longer pedally rides, Flats are great for messing about on the bike and giving you a bit more confidence when it get a bit more technical

timoth27

I have used spd’s since the early 90’s and yes you will fall over but after a couple of rides you will be fine. I really like the feeling of being connected and climbing is definitely (for me anyway) improved as you can lift your back foot to help rotation. I use a caged clipless pedal which I think is the best of both worlds as you get better support for your foot and you don’t have to worry about clipping back in on a down hill section as you essentially have a flat pedal aswell. Thanks my 2p’s worth anyway

Thanks

Tim

phil5556

I’ve had them in the past and gone back to flats. Like them for a bit of cross country and nothing too techy, but just can’t get on with being attached when things get more difficult.

I’ve just bought 5.10 Impacts and they seem like they’ll dry out much quicker than my Freerider ELCs (which are sold as “all weather”) that take about a week to dry on top of my boiler.

I think I’ve got a pair of unused shimano pedals if you want something cheap to try with, £10 posted if I can find them. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I always liked them but found that they can sometimes give me painful knees

Works both ways. Having ridden with clips pretty much all my mtb life i’m dabbling with flats. I have some rotation from my knee through the pedal stroke and get less knee pain on clips (ATAC) as they allow float that a grippy flat pedal doesn’t.

I like the security of being clipped in – don’t have to worry about getting bounced off on rough ground – plus that fact that when you are clpped in your foot is in the right position. I find a lot of faff with flats trying to adjust position on rough ground (but maybe I’ve just not given it long enough).

Worth looking at OWN for an all season shoe (mine haven’t arrived yet so can’t vouch for reality but theory looks good)

chvck
    Free Member

Due to various issues with my legs keeping my feet on the pedals on flat was becoming quite difficult. Initially I swapped between clips and flats (clips on one bike and flats on the other) but now use clips on both – a set of crank brothers e mallets, so caged. I feel more confident on the steep techy stuff clipped in but I’ve never really been one for dabbing. I was using shimano SPDs but I can have issues clipping in and find the crank brothers are easier to clip into and the platform helps. I actually fall off going uphill in clips more than I do downhill!

jonnyrockymountain

get some cheap shoes and pedals first, but just perceiver, there will be falling off moments, but after a while you’ll realise that its the best option, ps i would try time pedals over shimano
    https://www.merlincycles.com/time-atac-xc2-pedals-60550.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=MTB+Bike+Pedals+%26+Cleats&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8GQtqH61wIVtArTCh03fwFUEAQYASABEgJgj_D_BwE

zilog6128

The old Shimano AM41 was a great all weather shoe thanks to the big ol velcro flap on the front. You can’t get them anymore, I guess when mine are worn out I’ll try the replacement (AM7) which looks similar.

DezB
    Free Member

My kid switched to SPDs – first ride ever on them he fell on concrete! Only the once though, didn’t fall again. Likes them for climbing, wasn’t happy on a steep descent, but hasn’t asked for the spds to be removed as yet.

gavstorie
    Free Member

go for SH-56 cleats. They allow you to roll your foot out as well as clicking out sideways.

Ideal for newbies and steep terrain

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The multi release cleats are terrifying – it’s not a great feeling to unclip mid jump, by accident.

I ride flats on my FS, and also on my HT at the moment. Sometimes I clip in for boring, bridleway bashing & I tend to always ride clipped in on the road bike.

Off road, I haven’t really noticed I go any slower when it’s just plain pedal mashing, but when racing DH and Enduro, I certainly ride tight, when clipped in. So I avoid it.

chiefgrooveguru

The 5.10 ELC is the best wet weather flat shoe I’ve tried. Fairly water resistant, aided by the big lace cover. Sticky like any 5.10 but harder wearing than most.

I’ve never ridden clips bar a handful of road rides, but isn’t wet and mud when you’re most likely to be cornering foot out (flat out!)?

maxtorque

Hob Nob –
    The multi release cleats are terrifying – it’s not a great feeling to unclip mid jump, by accident

er, i don’t think that ^^^ is the fault of the clips……. 😆

Fagus
    Free Member

I’ve ridden clipless almost since they first came out on road bikes.
    Getting used to them is just like learning to ride a bike. You’ll fall over a couple of times, then it will all click, and clipless will seem normal.
    Just tried going back to flatties for a month or so. Hated it. Just awful getting the power down, especially going uphill. I like to lift up with my trailing leg (a hangover from Time Trial days) and it’s impossible to do with flatties.
    Back to clipless for me.

VanHalen

I don’t think either is “better” but they are better at different things. SPDs are great for longer pedally rides, Flats are great for messing about on the bike and giving you a bit more confidence when it get a bit more technical

this is bang on.

I’ve never ridden clips bar a handful of road rides, but isn’t wet and mud when you’re most likely to be cornering foot out (flat out!)?

yes you unclip and hang a foot and clip back in. When used to the pedals you dont even think about it untill you miss a clip but then if you are riding mallets with a decent cage that issue matters less. Clips encourage commitment as to ride with them half arsed just isnt fun as you are eternally clipped out.

given our local trails are basically one big slippery off-camber rootfest its the sniper wet root front wheel washout that drives me back to flats in winter.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

yes you unclip and hang a foot and clip back in.

I rode with an incredible Frenchman on a Basque MTB trip. He was foot out sliding for nearly every corner but really quick with it. I practically never unclip but have never failed to get to get a foot down when i need to.

Cage ATACs need the right sort of shoes to be any use – no point riding them with hard soled race slippers and you don’t get any benefit.

5.10 ELC is the best wet weather flat shoe I’ve tried

Still take an age to dry once they get soaked. The new Shimano’s are meant to have quick drying (race shoe style) padding – as do the specialized 2FOs

chiefgrooveguru

Still take an age to dry once they get soaked.

Is that based on personal experience?

VanHalen

My 2fos dry so much quicker than my freeriders it’s stupid. I use my vans or clips when it’s pissing it down as I cant face trying to dry out the 510s

guandax
    Free Member

I find Five Ten Impact Vxi’s, with Merino socks works well. Occasionally your feet get wet, but they warm up fine and you don’t notice after a few mins.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

er, i don’t think that ^^^ is the fault of the clips…….

Slightly ironic to be offering advice on jumping 😉

That said, I have no issue with flat, no issue with single release cleats and no issue with CB pedals clipped in.

Yet Shimano multi release. Slightly scary.

phil5556

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Still take an age to dry once they get soaked.

Mine take days to dry and they let the water in pretty easily. There’s nothing really weather resistant about them.

chiefgrooveguru

Well compared to AM40s, Teva Links and Freerider VXi they’re the best I’ve used. How do you dry yours? Mine are dry within about a day or quicker with newspaper in.

keith74

Both for me depending on where I’m riding.Long rides with lots of climbing and nothing to technical and it’s clipless,tech stuff and flats all the way.

Use the old Shimano am flats and just bought them endura overshoes to try.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Well compared to AM40s, Teva Links and Freerider VXi they’re the best I’ve used. How do you dry yours? Mine are dry within about a day or quicker with newspaper in.

Same. Just chuck them in front of a radiator and they’re good to go.

There’s nothing that’ll get me back on clips now.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

None of the purported downsides of clipless pedals are actual downsides. It boils down to just getting used to riding clipless. If you change either way, from flats to clipless or visa versa, then there is a period of getting used to the new setup, and it is probably harder to go from flats to clipless. I’d imagine it would be anyway as I’ve never ridden flats on an MTB. I started out with proper toe clips back in the late ’80’s – now that demanded proper commitment, but then again I remember doing alot more walking with the bike on my back in those days compared to today where i’m riding more tricky terrain clipped in – part of that is to do with improvements in the bikes and partly the move from clips to clipless.

Once you’re used to them there are no downsides to clipless over flats, its a myth. All the stuff people say you can’t do clipped in….actually you can. Just a case of practice: unclipping to dangle a foot out on a slippery bend…no problem,. bailing out of a big jump you’ve misjudged….no problem, bailing out on a steep technical rock garden…no problem, unclipping and getting away from the bike on a wipeout….no problem, it happens automatically.

And on the old chestnut about riding clipless pedals promotes poor technique, well employing correct technique is just as important riding clipless pedals as it is riding flats, you can’t get away with poor technique for very long even on flats, it will bite you just as hard no matter your pedal choice. And I recently went on a coaching course and was expecting the instructor to criticise me on poor technique after only ever ridden clipless due to some on here equating riding clipless to poor technique. It actually turns out there was nothing wrong with my technique – no pulling up on the clips, foot positioning was fine. Sure a bit of tweaking of technique was required, but that was why I was on a skills course in the first place.

Not sure why there is this anxiety around what pedals you ride. If you’re used to flats or clipless and you’re doing fine on them, then what’s the reason for wanting to change, other than simple curiosity?

Anyway, my Specialized FTO’s have been great. Not problem with them drying – i just dump them in the garage and they’re dry the next day. They can collect water if you fully submerge your foot, so it’s sloshing about a bit for a short while, but that’s not a routine occurrence. They’re lasting well too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just get one of them shoe dryer things that get recommended on here now and again.

As for flats vs clipless. Flats for fun on my trail bike, clipless for hard training or racing on the XC or CX bike.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I got used to clips really quickly, I went for them as I wanted to run faster rear suspension without my feet bouncing off. Now they are installed I find I ride the bike with more control and confidence. I have no drama unclipping just clipping in can be a b*tch.

VanHalen

Crashing in clips is way more painful in my experiences! Mainly as you are more committed I guess… actually my 2 biggest crashes were on flats

I’d never ride skinnies etc clipped in as vaulting off before you noseplant is just not possible. But then that’s old skool and no where has em anymore anyway.

I think I definitely ride better for learning clips mainly from learning commitment and not unclipping and moving my upper body for balance rather than dangling a leg. I’m slower coz I’m older and fatter though…

Variety is the spice of life and I’d recommend any die hard flats rider to give em a decent go. For comedy value if nothing else!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie has them. She just picked up some impact vxi for winter. They miss the lace flap but the padding is thinner and seems less absorbent.

oikeith

I moved from flats for life to clips few months ago, really like it, everything I thought would be an issue isnt and I havent crashed because of the clips.

Only thing that was a learning curve was clipping back in on steep or techy terrain, but once I developed some muscle memory it became natural.

As someone else said its def helped me improve, I now move my body weight better, get my outside foot down where as before I would tripod in some situations.

I went with some second hand Shimano DX and AM5 shoes to start with and thought I would upgrade if I stuck with it, turns out the DX are awesome so no need. The AM5 are heavy but do the job.

alishand

Might it be the wrong time of year to be making a switch, if you’ve never had a chance to try clipless before?

You’re always going to fall at first, but the ice, mud, and general slop of this time of year will make for a pretty steep learning curve (which i found out in my own painful experience).

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Flats to clipless’ is closed to new replies.