• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flats: Should my pedals be really stiff to turn? Recommend flats
  • hora
    Free Member

I understand? That jump/dirt riding needs pedals that don’t spin? (True?)

But Im trail riding- one spins fairly stiffly, the other as stiff as they both were at new. Fruit at superstar said ‘they will break in’. Really? True? I only realised how bad it is when I switched to clip in pedals last night. Like night and day (but I hated the foot position so switching back)

Junk the Superstars but buy what flats?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Strip and grease? My Nukeproofs (same as Superstars) are fine – spin freely and still do after 18 months of abuse.

jam-bo

Fruit at superstar said ‘they will break in’.

with a rock?

hora
    Free Member

Will strip and grease first

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of Superstars nano’s both spin fine.

fasthaggis

Cover them in sparkles,that should do it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Either cone is too tight on the axle or a clean and grease required.

Thats a bit if a novice question to ask though hora. I should have thought it was pretty obvious they should spin freely.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Strip and grease anyway. Some nice thick marine grease will help keep the crap out too.
    But don’t get too carried away with the notion that they should spin freely in a no-load situation. That’s not representative of use at all.
    You want them to turn freely with a fat middle-aged mountainbiker stomping on them. That’s a whole different measurement.
    Good example is the fabulously expensive Syntace pedals : syntace-numbernine-titan-pedals which won’t spin in your hand at all.

hora
    Free Member

4months ago I was on the same DX spd’s for 7yrs

neninja
    Free Member

They should spin freely enough that you wouldn’t feel any drag/resistance whilst pedalling. If they are stiff enough to feel whilst pedalling then somethings not right.

Are they over tightened on the axle? I’d try backing the axle nut off a few mm at a time (check for side to side play though).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Superstar innit.

Bearings will have failed but you have voided warrenty by opening the packet.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got a rock you can borrow to hit them with

catvet
    Free Member

Burgtec

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If the bearings have a good amount of grease in them the pedals won’t spin fast… that’s fine though. I assume you mean they don’t do loads of revolutions when you spin them, rather they just do 1/2 – 1 turn or something like that? That’s totally normal and a good thing.

Just get riding!

bamboo
    Free Member

Don’t hit them with a rock – a shiny pebble is the tool of choice for freeing up pedals.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Don’t hit them with a rock – a shiny pebble is the tool of choice for freeing up pedals.

But it needs to be damp!

hora
    Free Member

They already look like they’ve been hit by many rocks in only a few months 😀

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30625376@N06/11192794364/lightbox/

They dont spin one bit full stop.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flats: Should my pedals be really stiff to turn? Recommend flats’ is closed to new replies.