Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Flats for winter?
  • StuE
    Free Member

I have a pair of Meindl walking boots which are waterproof and warm,might try and get them re-soled,anyone used this place in Chesterfield?
    https://www.resoles.co.uk/

twang
    Free Member

@StuE That’s the place I had mine done. Its very thick and does make for a very stiff sole though..

StuE
    Free Member

Think I could put up with that if it means I have warm dry feet

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some info from Five Ten that may be of interest

The Impact High is not technically waterproof. However the leather upper will wisp away small amounts of water. A very wet ride tends to soak the shoes weighing them down.
    We are releasing a new Impact in Fall/Winter 2016 which will have a treated upper for improved water resistance and a primaloft lined interior for more insulation.
    Currently we do offer the Freerider Elements, and the Impact VXi which both have treated uppers to improve water resistance. I have provided links below for your reference.
    http://www.fiveten.com/us/freerider-elements-dark-grey-orange
    http://www.fiveten.com/us/impact-vxi-team-black

zero-cool
    Free Member

Never had a problem with 5:10 stealth rubber in any temperature (down to -10 so far). I had a pair of the Guide Tennies and wore them riding a few times (originally bought them for climbing/walking/running etc with activity groups on weekend courses where I could only take 1 pair of boots with me) and they were fine. They’d make a great winter riding boot but unfortunately mine were stolen out in the Alps from our campsite. And I’ve not been able to afford another pair.

I make do with my old Impacts in the winter and my (old style) Sam Hills the rest of the time (as they’re newer). Not sure what I’ll get next time, but I’ve been a 5:10 since Intense discontinued their shoe and the first Impacts were released.

Tom KP

andyjh

Had a fairly disastrous ride tonight with my Spesh Defrosters on flats, no grip whatsoever and my feet were all over the place. Not a surprise really as the soles don’t have anything the pins can locate into. So I know this isn’t a workable solution and I either need to go back to SPD’s or buy some shoes.

One of my ridding buddies had gone back to flats for the winter tonight and she had a pair of 5:10’s which she swore by for winter. They had high ankle support unlike most of them that I’ve seen so far so a quick search and I found the Impact 2 High’s which look pretty good. Although from the info above they obviously aren’t waterproof but I guess a quick treatment with Nikwax should keep some of the water out.

Generally with 5:10’s and fitting in some Sealskins and merino socks I’m assume one size up should be good enough?

twang
    Free Member

I had a go at waterproofing a pair of impacts, I gave em a liberal coating of wax cotton proofing(all I had to hand), it may have helped a bit but probably not.
    A tube of clear silicone and a spreader – its the only way to be sure… if you’re brave enough to try…

stuker
    Free Member

Andy get the 5ten elements. Ive got a pair and they worked well last winter around here. Not waterproof but keep dry most of the time unless you get into very deep water. Only issue i found with them is that the sole wasn’t hard wearing enough and the pins on the spesh bennies pedals chewed holes through both of them. Ive also got a pair of 5ten impacts which have a harder sole compound but less water resistance and tend to get wetter much quicker and take ages to dry out. The former is size 10 Uk and the latter 10.5 so you can try both of them on for size if you like…not sure what size you are though? i can bring both round for comparison…..

andyjh

Cheers Stuker, thanks for the offer and advice 🙂

The concern I had with the Elements was how low they were on the ankle, assuming your feet just get wet from water going in the top of the shoe? With my current Defrosters at least I can put my bibs over the shoes to keep the worst of the water from just running in the top. This was the same idea I had with the Impact High’s but I guess if the material just absorbs and holds water anyway then your feet are getting wet.

I was planning to use the local Evans store to try the sizes on 🙂

Another question, whats the difference with the Element VXi to the none VXi?

gelert
    Free Member

Shimano AM41s with medium Sealskins here and had to size up to make room. Never had any grip issues with them and I’m about to start to use my 3rd pair. The pair I’ve used the most this year has ruts in the sole where my pedal pins have ripped into it (after 10/11 months twice weekly use) but they still grip fine even in the muddy slop ATM. I’m waiting until I slip a pedal with them before I use the next pair.

Great shoes. Comfortable. Grippy. Put them on and don’t think about them again until after the ride.

Most of the time AM41s brush off a great deal of the wet stuff. However, they can get absolutely drenched inside too and it’s usually because the water gets in down your shin / sock into the shoe. They take ages to dry out when they get that wet.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I’d second the AM41s with Sealskinz. This is a great combination – they’re a bit bulky, but they’re warm, easy cleaned, great soled….

Though I do agree, when they get wet, they stay wet! – this is where the SealSkinz come in handy! 🙂

VanHalen

I do a lot of riding in the rain especially through winter. Off road as well so a good soggy sludgy combo. I’ve run am41s, disco slippers, vans clips, spec 2fo, regular shoes, boots the lot. For me the best combo when it’s really minging is disco slippers clips and some old seal skins that are no longer waterproof and a liner sock. If its super wet any waterproof boot just fills up with water, same with sealskins socks. Riding around with 2 puddles on yer feet is horrid. You need a shoe/sock that lets water out (and therefore unfortunately in as well).

We are talking proper rainy riding though. A wee shower or wet ground is no bother in any shoe really if you run seal skins.

If it’s frozen flats and regular skate shoes maybe with a walking sock and liner.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Another benefit of flats in winter is that cleats are more likely to ice up/block up. I’ve actually been on rides where my flats got covered in ice-mud and I had to smash it off with a rock but that’s pretty damn rare.

The number of times I’ve seen this happen with friends is another reason that puts me off cleats anyway. Similar with thick sloppy mud or leaves in autumn getting stuck in them. I wouldn’t say flats are winter pedals though, they’re all weather. Cleats on the other hand 😉

chrisdw
    Free Member

^^ Don’t get off the bike 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

^^ Don’t get off the bike

Or keep your feet in the air when you do.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Flats for winter?’ is closed to new replies.