Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Flats – any good reasons not to get V8s?
  • stevious

Hi all,

Got a set of V8s that I’m using on my bike for winter. Decided to get another set to prevent having to swap between bikes (am on SPDs most of the year) and just wondering if there’s any reason not to get another set. Are the 40-odd-quid pedals really that much better?

jedi

i prefer bigger flat pedals

Shandy
    Free Member

I stuck my V8s back on the other day after damaging a pedal, now they feel too small underfoot.

Simon

I’ve found them OK with skate shoes and Nike Air Whistlers, but too small with Five Tens, which are fairly wide.

Northwind

They’re pretty small, not particularily grippy, and too heavy for what they are. Pretty inexplicable why they’re still popular really. Still, not as inexplicable as v12s.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Welgo copies are much cheaper. I find them secure enough with flat soles and not too big that they snag in ruts.

What about superstar nanos?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Because you could buy my V12’s for the same price!
    £20 V12

jedi

azonic aframes are my fave pedal of all the ones i’ve used

Ewan
    Free Member

Yes lots. Firstly they’re a bit crap.

Try some superstar nano’s, or some of the better Welgos (MG1s maybe?). Get something with a low profile wide platform – I’ve tried lots of flat pedals, current favourites are some Nano’s.

stevious

Thanks for the input. Can’t say I find them too small myself, but then I haven’t used any of the fancy flats to compare.

Seeing as they’ll be an xmas present I’ll leave the decision to the missus.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pretty inexplicable why they’re still popular really.

Because they’re actually an excellent pedal if you have ‘smaller than Sasquatch’ sized (IE Normal) feet.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well i’ve got size 10 feet, so not exactly huge. Much nicer to have a decent sized platform – don’t get me wrong I loved them 6 years ago, but the difference between them and a modern pedal is night and day.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I use the v8 and V12 like them both not really noticed them being small, my v12’s feel grippier, I ride in 5-10’s size 10. 🙂 I prefer them to my DX30’s. Maybe time to explore other makes.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

so long as you like the colour, and you fill them with grease before use, there’s every chance that greaseport v8’s will last forever.

grantway
    Free Member

Just got a set of these Nano pedals from Superstar components
    very good and well made £ 42.99p and top rated by mags

kimbers

i have nanos and v8s
    to be fair v8s are 12 years old and still run sweet
    nanos about a year old but much grippier and nicer to ride on lower profile

ahwiles
    Free Member

the difference between V8’s and V12’s is the ‘upgrade’ from loose ball bearings to a cartridge in the V12’s.

however, both use a journal bearing at the ‘inboard’ end – and this is the bearing that will wear out first.

if it’s a choice between V8’s and 12’s – get the 8’s, they have a grease port/hole that you can squirt grease in – this will keep your cheap V8’s running better for longer than a set of 12’s.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Why not MG1s? Cheap, super light, super grippy. I loved mine before I changed to XT SPDs!

cp

My v8’s are donkey’s years old and still run fine

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m with Jedi I like the Azonic aframes as well and run them all the time.

I have a few sets of other pedals as spares. Infact I have boxes of spares that my mates take stuff from all the time. I would simply chuck the boxes out but they do come in handy.

bigjim

Steve, I’ve had about 3 or 4 pairs of V8’s, they don’t last very long – there is an aluminium ring that interfaces between the axle and he pedal body, which always detaches eventually, and water gets in. They keep spinning but i wouldn’t call them quality engineering. Also, there is quite a bit of distance between the outer pins and smooth edge body which I’ve found means if you roll or palce your foot onto the outside it shoots off. They’re OK but I wouldn’t buy another pair. Also avoid the cheapo wellgo ones – a mate at work bought them and the axle snapped riding along leaving a nice sharp metal spike.

br
    Free Member

Seeing as they’ll be an xmas present I’ll leave the decision to the missus.

Jesus, fatal mistake…

Blueadvocate

I have V8s and MG1s and I prefer the MG1s.
    May try Superstars sometime.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Flats – any good reasons not to get V8s?’ is closed to new replies.