Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Flat trails required
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Taking my better half out to try to get her a little more comfortable with riding stuff that isn't tow paths or paved at the weekend. She's up for it but I don't really want to push her into riding that will scare her off. So, what I'm looking for is somewhere around the Surrey/Hants area that has some flat trails, not a massive amount of fire road climbing either (i.e. Swinley is a possibility but a lot of the non-fireroad stuff might be pushing my luck for a first offroad outing).

Any ideas?

Lets assume all the "It's the south, it's all flat" comments have been made and move on 😉

thepurist

Alice Holt forest near Farnham has some gentle offroad riding. Might be the right sort of level?

nedrapier

second thepurist. Good call. Quite pretty too.

cinnamon_girl

atlaz – there are some flat bit of singletrack in Swinley, around Upper Star Post/Devil's Highway.

Otherwise how about some natural trails? I know plenty of bridleways that won't frighten, particularly around Hampshire. A pub lunch would be the way to go!

atlaz
    Free Member

CG – my concern with Swinley going to the star post end is that I'll die of boredom on the way there unless I can hoon off into the woods, which defeats the object of spending "quality time" with Mrs Atlaz 🙂

If I go somewhere new, I'll be able to resist the urge I think

njee20
    Free Member

Yep Alice Holt was what sprung to my mind.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know somewhere right up your alley for this, but it's impossible to tell you where it is, you need to know it. I could do anthing up to a 12 mile ride on mostly flat and smooth trails with even some gentle rolling singletrack if you fancy it sometime? It's out of Farnborough, Hants and Cinnamon Girl knows it as she was there the last time I rode it (The first and last 5-6 miles of my BBQ ride, CG, tweaked a bit)

I'm feeling a bit ill right now, but if you want an outing some other time, give me a shout and I'll see what I can cook up.
    🙂

EDIT – Nice pub on the route, too.

Another EDIT – The more I think about it, the keener I am on the idea. Mrs PP would enjoy it too, and maybe one or two others. It would be fun as a small group (4-6 people) and I've found before that for new riders, showing them the social scene and having a good banter gets them right into it….. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

can't you just ride from home?.. even in inner cities i've always been able to cobble decent little off road routes together..
    it always amazes me how non biking friends don't even know their way round their own home towns.

mtbfix

atlaz, dying of boredom on easy rides is just part of the journey that is getting your better half to enjoy riding with you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

atlaz, dying of boredom on easy rides is just part of the journey that is getting your better half to enjoy riding with you.

Doesn't have to be! A few people to natter to and you'll not get bored. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

There's some good ideas here, I've done a fair number of them as it was these that actually got me started out riding on my own:

www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycling-maps-leaflets.htm

I understand perfectly what you are saying about Swinley so think it's a good idea to go somewhere new. Feel free to e-mail (address in profile) should you want any specific information on the above routes or indeed any in Hampshire.

Mr Poddy is right about his local trails, they are good! Pete – stay off your bike til you get better, don't share your germs 😯

GW
    Free Member

if you're that bored, manual/wheelie round the entire route.. and "trackstand" at every oppertunity 😉

being serious, there's fun to be had anywhere you ride!

cinnamon_girl

An extremely cheeky plug – am selling an unused ladies Camelbak Magic without bladder, £15 posted. Check out my ad on the Classifieds from a few days ago, there's a pic of it.

I will now close the door …

atlaz
    Free Member

GW – Tow paths near me as I'm right on the Thames. Or roads. I'm exploring to find more interesting stuff but it's slow going (early Sundays with GPS and a vague idea of direction is my "method").

Alice Holt or Alton are looking like a good place to kick off

cinnamon_girl

Either side of the A339 near Alton there are some nice trails.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flat trails required’ is closed to new replies.