• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gren.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Flat shoe advice
  • arcadian
    Free Member

Swapping back to flats now the weather has turned a bit. Have a set of 2-3 year old 5.10 freeriders which are showinng their age a bit.

Was looking at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-am41-mtb-shoe-2015/rp-prod55371 and http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five-ten-sam-hill-impact-vxi-mtb-shoes-2014/rp-prod118583 , the 5.10s for their grip but the shimano ones for the extra bit of weatherproofing with the flappy bit. Anyone used the am41 shoes and got any advice they could offer on how the grip compares to the five tens?

federalski
    Free Member

Also hovering above the buy button on the Sam Hills and would be interested to read peoples views.

Northwind

I haven’t used the AM41 but the old AM40 that it’s based on was good- not as grippy as Five Ten but still well into “more than enough”. Not really all that waterproof, better than a Freerider but then that’s not hard.

If you can track down a pair of purple (not black) Sombrio X-Shazams, they’re the best winter flat I’ve ever come across. Hightop, lace flap, fairly splashproof, and warm. And decent grip obviously. Sadly discontinued. The black ones have a vented toe so don’t get those!

Five Ten Element Freerider seems good, just done a first ride in those and pretty happy. New FIve Ten Impacts are pretty bad IMO, horrible feel-free sole, the new Sam Hill is the same design I think. Apparently Sam doesn’t wear them, which is interesting 😆

federalski
    Free Member

Cheers NW, think I’ll do a bit of research tomorrow. One thing though, how do you find five ten’s fit? is it the done thing to just buy the same size as your normal shoes or is there a weird cycle thing of sizing up/down?

lucky7500

I’ve also just got a pair of Five Ten Element Freeriders largely after recommendations from here. Also only been out the once so far but they seem impressive. They’ve replaced a four year old pair of Sam Hill Impacts which have served me well but I think the new ones are quite different!

Northwind

@Federalski, they seem pretty normal to me, fairly wide maybe.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Huge fan of the sam hill impacts. Agree with northwind that they feel pretty stiff when you first get them coming from old freeriders. They definitely break in after a few rides and the extra stiffness over the freeriders becomes a good thing.

Good shoes, dry quickly, robust for when you toe punt rocks, grip like nothing else and look good. Also don’t have that flat bit on the sole so you don’t end up on your arse if you have to walk anywhere.

weeksy

I find the 5 10’s nicer, but the Teva Links softer inside, more cushioned and a LOT warmer too.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Love my teva links high tops, splash proof so far, did get wet hike a biking in scotland last weekend but they ended up
    Fully submerged and were dry for the morning!!!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Love my teva links high tops, splash proof so far, did get wet hike a biking in scotland last weekend but they ended up fully submerged and were dry for the morning!!!

gren
    Free Member

Another Freerider Elements wearer here. Had mine for a year now and apart from being caked in mud they look as good as new and keep your toes toasty and drier than most.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Flat shoe advice’ is closed to new replies.