Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • **** flat roof issues
  • mrmo
    Free Member

just noticed a leak in the bathroom ceiling, been pissing it down and the orientation of the house probably hasn’t helped.

Anyhow, options, i am guessing a proper repair isn’t really an option just before christmas and best left for the spring/summer.

So what are the best temporary fixes? I am guessing the problem is the either the lead flashing or the roofing felt underneath, against the wall of the house where the flat roofed extension meets the original victorian exterior wall.

mikey74
    Free Member

If you can pinpoint the exact point of leakage then apply some silicone mastic sealant to try and stop the flow on a temporary basis.

restless
    Free Member

My conservatory roof has just leaked too.
    It is also having a big blob of sealant on it tomorrow to hopefully stop it happening again,

mikey74
    Free Member

More generally, you could buy some liquid DPM and apply it liberally to the area in question.

chojin
    Free Member

Join the flat roof leaking club :/
    My porch roof is like Swiss cheese.

mrmo
    Free Member

If you can pinpoint the exact point of leakage then apply some silicone mastic sealant to try and stop the flow on a temporary basis.

Nor very likely i fear, i can guess on the basis i know where the water is on the inside, but have no real idea of how far the water will have flowed from the point it got in to the point it left!!!!!!

not happy, got a fitter booked for begin of Jan to gut the bathroom!!!!!!

edit

yes

The liquid painty stuff and just lots where i think the problem probably is in the best solution in the short term.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s why I suggested the liquid DPM alternative, which you can apply more liberally.

Or use the mastic sealant at every joint in the abutment and see if it helps.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

aquashield is good,if not sure on point of water ingress coat the whole roof.should be able to get a 5 gallon drum for around £90 from a roofing supplier. if the felt is cracked or split apply flashband before coating, should be good for atleast a couple of years

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

forgot to add make sure before aapplying mastik to the lead or any roof coating make sure the surface is completely dry

maccruiskeen

The liquid painty stuff and just lots where i think the problem probably is in the best solution in the short term.

watch the weather forecast at this time of year though – from bitter experience… dry enough to paint it on can mean cold enough for it not to go off properly and as night draws in it freezes instead on sets. Then when it rains it thaws dissolves and you’ve got what looks like gallons of marmite dripping through your ceiling instead of just rainwater

mrmo
    Free Member

thinking now

Flashband primer

apply this to the roof and to the brick wall as they are going to be porous i suspect. but not to the existing lead flashing, well i suppose it can’t hurt?

Flashband

put a length on the flat roof and over the lead then another piece attached to the brickwork and laid over the lead and overlapping the first sheet. Does that make sense?

Any likely issues with this approach?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Thomsons do a flat roof repair bitumen. Mine leaked at the edge wear it curled up to join the brick work. This was about 3 years ago and its not been replaced yet, the temp fix is still sealing well.

takisawa2

Flexacryl is your only real option at this time of year, unless you re-roof.
    It’s not cheap.
    £40 for 5L, but as long as the surface is brushed clean it can go on even if it’s soaking wet.
    Its a thick glass fibre reinforced paint. Covering the whole roof is the best bet, but failing that pay attention to joints, seems & obvious areas. For yours you’ll need to paint it a few inches up the flashing. If it’s too far gone your just buying time as, once it starts freezing hard, any moisture still in it will just crack it open again. If it’s a heated room underneath it might not be too bad.

Mine is getting an EPDM roof as soon as I can afford it. Neighbour had his done, & these chaps sell all the kit…
    http://www.rubba-seal.co.uk/

mrmo
    Free Member

looked at the flexacryl, it comes in 1 and 5kg tins but the guide says litres per m2 !!!!!!

So any idea what the conversion is, how many kg per m2?

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

might work.possibility of trapped water but would’nt make things worse.personally for a diy fix, lift up the lead and coat with aquashield or similar product,push down lead if its knackerd flashband the lead and repoint the chase

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

used flexacryl pretty much the same stuff.despite what the manufacturers claim its bloody shite in the wet

Holyzeus
    Free Member

As above, Flexacryl or Acropol are both really good bodge solutions

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Acrypol is amazing stuff, I use it a lot

blastit
    Free Member

I used this to good effect, seems to go quite a way
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexacryl-roof-repair-compound-black-1kg/57518

wwaswas

*reported*

Cougar

I’m closing this thread as it’s a spam magnet. Please start a new one if you still want to discuss this.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘**** flat roof issues’ is closed to new replies.