Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Flat roof felt repair garage
  • mudmuncher

Hi All,

The wind took off half of my felt roof on the garage/shed last night, an area of about 5Mx3M.

I suspect it is getting near the end of it’s life and will be moving in the next year so want to do a quick/cheap repair that will be water tight but only needs to last a few years until it is all replaced.

Any tips? most of it came off in 1 piece so thinking of nailing it back on then covering this damaged half in new felt + adhesive. Any tips on the best adhesive+felt to buy. Is it likely to be waterproof afterwards?

Thanks!

project
    Free Member

New felt over existing felt, start from bottom of slope and work up, 2 x1 roofing battons, then downwards securesd to roof, use small clout nails to hold felt down.

mudmuncher

Thanks Project,

forgot to mention it is a flat roof, so a bit more concerned about it leaking

project
    Free Member

Remove felt to a join, then try and genmtly lift the edge, aply adhesive or bitumne paint under, then apply more adhesive then felt, when complete apply more bitumen paint over roof with a paint roller.

jkomo

You need to stick it down I think.
    I did mine using stuff from wickes.
    All cold adhesive system, a primer, and adhesive then a roll of felt.
    You prob looking at £100.
    1st repair I did was 7 years ago, still fine, just done my second, both on a rubbish flat roof with not enough drop, so far all watertight.

mudmuncher

Current felt is just one layer (no underlay), but looks like it has been heat sealed on.

Would I get best results trying to nail the old felt back on (to give a kind of underlay) then glue on top new felt or discard the old felt, cut back to a clean line in the undamaged felt then just stick direct to the roof boards?

jkomo

In my case the old felt had been painted so was fairly smooth. Where it blistered I cut it away to leave it flat, but I did go over the top. I don’t think it would work going onto those flaky stone things, even if you swept it.
    But if you’re going to strip it, I’d be tempted to get a single sheet of rubber membrane, but that’s a proper job.
    May be worth painting it with bitumen type waterproofer to see the winter out.

russ295
    Free Member

Roofing suppliers sell a stuff called teckatorch or something like that. You heat it up as you roll it out. Melts the underside and sticks to anything!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Rip it off and replace with rubber? Cost a bit more but would add some bragging rights if/when you sell.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Flat roof felt repair garage’ is closed to new replies.