Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • flat peddle suggestions ?
  • jaycmx1
    Free Member

always had spd,s but want to use flat peddles for more technical stuff.i got some 5 10’s after suggestions on here.i bought some secondhand crank brother 50 50’s but thought they was abit slippy on rock sections the other night/first ride.this might be me or the peddles? is this me or what other peddles do you suggest?

matthew_h
    Free Member

First suggestion, it is pedal not peddle.

Second suggestion, Easton Flatboys or wind the pins out on the 5050s

genghispod
    Free Member

Try asking about flat pedals.

crikey
    Free Member

I suggest a DICTIONARY.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

flat pedals it is then 🙂

genghispod
    Free Member

My God, I think we may be the only people left in the world who still have standards! Or are we just so old that we can still remember them?

cinnamon_girl

Guys – lighten up.

I use Funn Soljams on the ss – really wide and grippy. Also use DMR’s but prefer the Soljams. Shoes make a big difference (ex SPD user).

crikey
    Free Member

It’s funny really; we’ll put up with lots of things, but being slightly elderly British gentlemen, we will not tolerate poor spelling!

jaycmx1
    Free Member

thank you cinnamon girl so thats two pedal suggestions and a load of bitching about a small spelling mistake 😀

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You’ve just started on flats?

Its probably worth working on your technique and getting used to them before throwing money at the problem.

Although you’ll probably be able to sell the 50:50s for a decent price and buy something that won’t fall apart instead.

Avoid V8s if you have big feet.

I like shimano dx. The above Funns are excellent. Some wellgos are good and cheap. Tioga surefoot mx are good too. Edinburgh bikes do their own cheaper version of Gusset slim jims which are good too. Easton Cullys and (even larger) flatboys are also good but pricey. Atomlab trailkings are nice as well.

james
    Free Member

“small spelling mistake”

Its not really though is it
    two ‘d’s
    an e instead of an ‘a’, and in the wrong order

Its closer to a flat ‘paddle’

Though the axle threads went on mine, I found the £20(ish) Kona ones (Jacksh*t?) massively more grippy than DMR V8’s. I’ve moved onto SPDs now though, and I’ve managed to ‘forget’ how to use them in the meantime

sq225917
    Free Member

Whatever you get make sure they have pins in the middle of the pedal, this makes more difference than almost anything else as it helps keep your bite even if your inside or outside sole edge is lifted.

I’ve just gone from dog heavy specialized pedals to lovely light Ti axled Superstar flats. They look great, but the grip is no where near what the Spec mag2 pro’s offered.

Just a thought.

GW
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!! centre pins are the work of Eeeeeeevil!!! – remove them straight away.

they ruin the concave that’s needed for good feel from a flat pedal and make it harder to rotate your foot while riding

turneround

burgtec penthouse flats…nothing else even comes close…

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Try your local estate agent.

lammy
    Free Member

Superstar Nano tech are good, light and pretty cheap

No probs with mine yet….

mikey74
    Free Member

Tioga Surefoot MXPro = awesome pedals, and I agree that pins in the centre are not necessary.

It is quite funny that he can’t even spell one of the key components of his chosen hobby, lol. Still, no biggie, and didn’t warrant some of the comments above. Hell, my spelling can be very dyslexic when I’m trying to type fast.

aw
    Free Member

flat pedal suggestions…yeah don’t!

mikey74
    Free Member

flat pedal suggestions…yeah don’t!

what the hell is the point of making a statement like that without qualifying it with an explanation? Don’t even bother responding if you dont have anything constructive to add…idiot.

Flat pedals will improve your skills on a bike by teaching you to bunnyhop properly and how to use your feet, rather than being lazy and relying on spds all the time.

atlaz
    Free Member

I ride both. I have more trouble with my “skills” riding spds than I do riding flats. I find there’s a level of commitment you need for riding clipped in that doesn’t exist for flats. Of course that’s my opinion😉

aw
    Free Member

I have ridden both and I can confirm and agree with the ‘commitment’ thing with being clipped in!

you can position the bike easier when you are clipped in and are less prone to dab down. This changes your riding style on fast single track I find.

mikey74
    Free Member

I ride both. I have more trouble with my “skills” riding spds than I do riding flats. I find there’s a level of commitment you need for riding clipped in that doesn’t exist for flats.

In my opinion that is because the commitment you require with spds encourages you to plough through things rather than think about what you are doing and improve your technique.

I have followed people in spds and their technique is often pretty bad because they rely on being strapped to the bike and essentially become more of a passenger, rather than a pilot – there are obviously alot of exceptions to this, and I am deliberately ignoring people like Steve Peat, who clip in. I am sure I am like that in spds too, but obviously I can’t follow myself, lol.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

NC-17 MG Magnesium Pedals very light grip very well and after 3 years still very smooth. I use 5/10s myself it take a good few rides to get it sussed but when you do it feels so good. I would never go back the SPD.

Northwind

Wellgo’s MG-1s are really good, and stupidly cheap- I know people sneer at Wellgo but they make most of the other pedals recommended in here 😉 The MG1s are very similiar to DMR V12s, only lighter and more reliable. With 5 10s I doubt you’ll need more grip, I’ve ridden on these in trailies on my way to a trailbuilding session and they worked fine, 5 10s are overkill frankly.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

thanks for the advice.the other night was the first time out on flat pedals.ive always riden spds from starting mountain biking 2 years ago.i was droping my heals on the rock sections to try and keep grip but they was still moving about.will be my technique or partly the pedals.just wanted some advice thanks.who gives a **** about a small spelling mistake there isnt half some bitches on here sometimes.but the good people make up for it thankfully 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘flat peddle suggestions ?’ is closed to new replies.