Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Flat pedals – What do people recomend?
  • neil853
    Free Member

The old fella is getting back into cycling and has asked me what flat pedals I would recomend, the thing is i’ve been riding SPD’s for 16-17 years so can’t really offer and opinion.

So what do people reckon? Budget is around £100, has to have one eye on weight and the other on durability. No need for hardcore pedals as he won’t be thrashing them in any way.

Onzadog
    Free Member

save him some money and get some superstar nanos. They get well reviewed. I like mine. Better than the MX30s I had.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

DMR vaults get good write-ups everywhere neil. 80 quid or so. i think i’ll be getting some to replace my V8s once they die forever.

bigjim

Crikey thats a lot of money for flats! I just get DMR V8s as I can’t see the point in getting bling pedals if they just get mashed off rocks and soaked in mud and water. They are fine though I don’t like the gap little ledge on the outside of the pins as your foot can slide on it if you are bending your legs out, as you do. Grease ports make maintenance easy and if you bash them off a rock for the price you aren’t going to cry.

neil853
    Free Member

But these aren’t going to get mashed up, they’re going to be used for 12-18 months till he looses weight and is able to (at least try) purchase some SPD’s. There has to be one eye on weight as the bike its going is full XTR and 21bs in weight.

rewski
    Free Member

I use: DMR V12s, Shimano DX and Easton Flatboys. No complaints about any apart from the DX’s have smaller studs.

jools182
    Free Member

MG1

hilldodger
    Free Member

Superstar Nanos or whatever Wellgos CRC have in stock that you like the look of 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I find V8s and V12s too high off the axle. I always feel somewhat perched upon them.

I have Superstar Nanos, but the pins on the original Kona WahWah are narrower, I have discovered, and proved even better grip. I like the profile of the Nano, but I’ll get the Konas when replacement time comes.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mg1

aroche
    Free Member

+1 one for the MG1s (Wellgo).
    If you are after the lightest you can get without spending totally stupid money, they’re the ones.
    Got them on ebay with Ti bolts for 50 odd quid. very very light, – barely 300g for the pair. Bearings seem to be holding up pretty well after a year

rewski
    Free Member

Singletrack Grouptest

jonba
    Free Member

I have Wellgo MG1 and superstar nano thru pins. I like them both and they are both <£50. The nanos are heavier but tougher so I’d recommend those for a less careful rider/longer life.

cookeaa

Wellgo V8 coppies or similar for just pootling about, not stunning pedals but would suit a relative beginner, cheaper thean the DMR versions and near enough the same, 20 notes should be all he needs to spend at this stage…

£100 would be massive overspend…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals – What do people recomend?’ is closed to new replies.