Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Flat pedals that aren't superstar/Carboncycles?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

14-17mm thick – not cc or ss pedals or the same derivitive. Anything else to consider around that price point?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m using Nukeproof Electrons. Not sure why they’re not more popular – light, cheap… does that mean they’re not strong enough (being plastic), though I’ve not heard of any problems and they’re very popular with unicyclists.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Acros pedals, amazing

Tracey

Ive used these for years can be picked up for £30 now

Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2 Platform Pedals

honourablegeorge

New Saint flats from the German sites – think they’re 45 Euro on bike-components.de

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how heavy and how thick are the spesh pedals? Using nukeproof electrons at the minute but they are wearing awfully (18months old) on the outer edge – worn through round the dust cap

Tracey

Not heavy and certanly not thick, can measure them this weekend if you want

This migh show the thickness against a five ten sole

Northwind

Have you considered switching to a HT pedal that isn’t made of plastic, if wear’s a concern? They’re not glam but I’ve got nothing bad to say about my Nanos really, they’re competitive with the best and cost less. I’ve got 2, one set mag/ti which do shed pins a little easily but weigh nowt, and one set alu/steel on the dh bike which have been rock solid.

Saint seems really nice but not thin.

Just fitted a pair of HT AE-01s to the Hemlock… Wee bit smaller than the Nanos, but only marginally- but thinner still, and light respite the alu/steel construction. They seem excellent, I was a wee bit skeptical about the difference the thickness would make but they do feel more stable and more grippy. Lifespan remains to be seen, it all feels a wee bit compact and miniature

MadBillMcMad

as a matter of interest what is wrong with the CC ones – just wondered as I am after a new pair of flatties.

Is it a case of buy cheap buy twice.
    If that is the case then perhaps DMR Vaults

Northwind

Nah, nothing wrong with the metal Nanos (and nothing particularly special about Vaults)

tmb467
    Free Member

so where can one pick up HT pedals (without having to resort to re-badged and branded ones)?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

northwind – where are you buying them from? ht’s that is

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

(and nothing particularly special about Vaults)

Agreed on the Nanos, but the Vaults are definitely a cut above, the massive platform is ace, and your foot sinks right into a lovely concave shape, they’re just nicer in every way. Really rate them highly.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Electrons.

Not everyone likes the feel because they are are slightly convex and very thin. They are cheap, weigh bugger all, and grip good. Mine are doing great despite 2 years of horrible abuse, including smashing into stuff without sheering off like the last set of V12 I had. And no maintenance apart from regular garden hosing. Like.

scruff
    Free Member

Zaintz vrom Zee Germanz.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Agreed on the Nanos, but the Vaults are definitely a cut above, the massive platform is ace, and your foot sinks right into a lovely concave shape,

Fair enough, if you want a bigger platform that’s a definite plus for the Vault (Nanos are a little bigger than I like tbh!) But tweaking pins on an AN06 Nano (best of the Nanos!) gives them the same concave surface. And inside, they’re both very similiar.

robjackson- I got my AE01s from bi-king in Taiwan. The other unbranded ones I got from Ready To Ride but they seem not to stock them any more 🙁 So it looks like importing’s the only option if you don’t want the logos.

fakesounding
    Free Member

+1 for Saints. Fantastic pedals.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Fair enough, if you want a bigger platform that’s a definite plus for the Vault (Nanos are a little bigger than I like tbh!) But tweaking pins on an AN06 Nano (best of the Nanos!) gives them the same concave surface.

Not quite – the Nanos have a little axle bulge in the centre, while the central bar of the Vault is machined in a concave shape. I thought the difference going form one to the other was huge.

Agree the bigger size might not suit everyone, but it suits my big clogs.

Northwind

Mmm, I’ve never found that- with the central pins removed entirely it’s still the edge pins that take all my weight, not the axle. Feels no different to Vaults to me even in soft shoes. But fair enough, I guess it’s a milage varying thing!

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Sorry to butt in but please could Northwind send me the pics as promised.Thanx.

Northwind

Drop me an email andrew@blackjack.f9.co.uk, not sure what pics you’re after!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

anyone tried the hope flatties yet?

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Pics as needed ref wellgo MG-1’s.
    Cant email you as i am having trouble sending emails but i can receive them ok!
    Cheers

extremo
    Free Member

the new burgtec pedals that are soon to be released look ace, thinner than there old ones and really grippy

messiah
    Free Member

@M1llh0use – luckily Reset do some cheaper pedals… only 445euro!!!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

phew.

that’s far more reasonable!!

😆

Northwind

Ah- sorry GSI-MAN, I hadn’t seen the responses in that thread. Should be able to sort tonight

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

OK thanks!

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Mmm, I’ve never found that- with the central pins removed entirely it’s still the edge pins that take all my weight, not the axle. Feels no different to Vaults to me even in soft shoes. But fair enough, I guess it’s a milage varying thing!

I’m just happy to have found something to disagree with you about.

Northwind

So am I, er, I mean, no I’m not!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Nice bike Tracey! 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

I bought saints from Evans for £35, not light but they should be tough.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals that aren't superstar/Carboncycles?’ is closed to new replies.