Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Flat pedals on a road bike
  • PMK2060

I have used clipless pedals today for the first time. I managed to commute to work and back without falling but to be honest i did not enjoy it. I was nervous on the road sections especially when turning right and needing to stop in the middle of the road due to traffic coming the other way.

I have been happy with flats but bought the clipless pedals in anticipation of buying a road bike in April next year. I am now considering flats for the road bike. Does anybody else use flats on a road bike or should i be ashamed to even ask such a question?

hunter2701
    Free Member

I ride flats on my road bike my DH bike and my pissabout bike,and i prefer them as they give u more freedome i feel but on my enduro race bike i have clips as they make u so much faster…depends what ur after out of them.

Lifer
    Free Member

Practise with the clips on a quiet road for a bit, just unclipping and clipping as you go. What pedals have you got?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

commuting in traffic is scary enough without worrying about a new style of pedal.

ride them at the weekends and get used to them before using them for your commute.

Northwind

I use flats on my road/cross bike, largely because my knee’s ****ed but also because I like the freedom of not needing special shoes to ride it- just jump on and go.

But just feeling a bit nervous on clipless is something most people get over, and it’s definately worth trying. It’s just like trying anything else new.

pudd
    Free Member

No no no no.

Flat pedals = gayness and certain death.
    Clipless = supercool monster pimp.

Just give time and practice in your living room.

PrinceJohn

Flats on a road bike seem to work ok for Martyn Ashton…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

No rules
    Put whatever pedals you like on.
    Clips will become second nature with practice though.

bullroar
    Free Member

Last winter when training for a big road ride I got feed up with cold feet on evening rides clipped in. Solution V8’s and 5.10’s worked a treat.

patriotpro
    Free Member

No need to be ashamed at all.

Sounds like you need to slacken spring tension off so with the slightest twist your foot is out.

Then just potter about locally and just practising release and re-clip.

If not just put the flats on (if only to vex the roady rule-book crew) 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just put flats on my road bike mainly because my ankle is **** at the moment, but also because the only flats I have are DX. I will probably get some normal spds when my ankle is fixed.

I would second getting some more practice with the spds. I have never fallen off a road bike with them but have plenty of times on the mtb, mainly because of mud being stuck in them.

starrman82
    Free Member

You need to be ashamed, its wrong! Ashton is off the hook BTW..

starsh78
    Free Member

I use Shimano Saint flats on my Specialized Tarmac 🙂

PMK2060

I have Shimano M520 pedals and can clip in and out ok (practised yesterday off road before todays commute). I think my main worry is leaning right when i have unclipped my left foot. If i persevere with them i will need overshoes. My feet were cold this morning.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m willing to bet that around 99% of road bikes globally are used with flats, so I wouldn’t worry! It’s just pedals.

stratobiker
    Free Member

If you feel better using flats on your road bike. Fine, use flats.
    SB

PMK2060

Thanks for the replies. I thought that everyone used clipless pedals on the road so its good to know this is not the case. I was fine on the way to work so i am not sure why i felt so nervous on the way home.

I_Ache
    Free Member

starsh78 – Member
    I use Shimano Saint flats on my Specialized Tarmac

Good work. Do you wear baggies and a MTB helmet too?

ampthill

For various reasons I’m on flats at the moment

I also contemplate a road bike and possibly using flats on that. Do they create cornering clearance problems

starsh78
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

Good work. Do you wear baggies and a MTB helmet too?

might do 🙂

PMK2060

I wear a roadie helmet when on the mountain bike and rarely use a hydration pack preferring water bottles and a saddlebag. looks like i will be a outcast on the road bike as well as the mountain bike 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Starsh78 You are indeed a man after my own heart. Baggies and a giro Xen for me on the road bike. I don’t have pedals that are quite so aggressive tho.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find Shimano pedals fairly annoying at the best of times. Find some cheap CB’s Candies as there is loads of float and much easier in and out. Also practice is where it’s at. Don’t expect to get used to them overnight. Go for a spin somewhere quiet and practice getting in and out lots.

howellj1
    Free Member

Persevere with the clip ins, you will find your pedalling much more smooth and efficient, yes can be scary when starting out, busy roads are definitely not the best learning environment. I’d agree that crank bros candys are easy to clip into, but I prefer a spd pedal with a bit more support.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals on a road bike’ is closed to new replies.