Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flat pedals in the snow?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Going to risk Kielder tomorrow. Apparently there’s 4-6″ of the white stuff, hard packed on the fire roads. So should be rideable.
    Worth fitting flats rather than my usual Time Z Controls?

scotroutes

I would. Snow and ice will build up on the cleats of your shoes should you need to walk at any time.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s my experience I think but its been that long since I’ve had a proper snowy ride I can’t remember anything about it.

jonba
    Free Member

Alternatively if you shoes take studs/spikes then maybe you’ll get more grip with them?

FWIW I would go with flats as you may end up walking bits of it and I find that more comfortable.

phinbob

Plus, if you have some nice waterproof and warm walking boots, then you can wear them.

I remember a snowy ride up on the North York Moors 20 years (gulp) ago, I was laughing at my mate in clips and straps with his silly leather walking boots while I was on my ‘pro’ Onza HO pedals and Nike N’Guba shoes.

Cut to a couple of hours later and the rest of us are practically crying with frozen feet and he had this big grin.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Shimano mt90 gore tex boots normally.
    Any tips for covering the cleats to stop them becoming ice balls?
    Not going to trash my alt-bergs on flat pedals. Backup plan is goretex merrels with gaiters.

carlos
    Free Member

IME time pedals and cleats don’t suffer the same with icing up and not being able to engage like others. A good firm attempt to clip in results in engagement more times than not.

That and the fact I feel more comfortable clipped in than on flats, for me it’d be a no brainer to stick with the boots etc..

eshershore
    Free Member

flats are great in the snow!

shame we see little of the white stuff in the S-East any more..this was a few years back in NW London

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Went with flats (and shimano boots)
    Awesome ride in the snow 🙂

SaxonRider

Worth fitting flats rather than my usual Time Z Controls?

Flats are all I use on the mountain bike now, and yes, they worked well in the snow today.

welshfarmer

Used flats and walking boots today on a snow ride. First time in 2 years on flats. Couldn’t seem to get my feet comfy on the pedals but was glad of not being clipped on the descents. However, almost came a cropper on the tarmac when I bunny hopped a drain and left the bike behind. Need to practice a bit of flat pedal skills again I feel.

SaxonRider

I have to say that the studs on my pedals interact well with my cheap Karrimor walking shoes. So much so, that I feel completely anchored on the pedals, and am in no way limited in terms of what I can do on them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals in the snow?’ is closed to new replies.